Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Random thoughts on this forum

View previous topic :: View next topic  
phantom_babes

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2004 8:34 am    Post subject: Random thoughts on this forum Reply with quote

Hello, I'm a new user and I can't believe the negative comments on this discussion forum. Just a few random thoughts in relation to some of the postings that I have read:

Firstly, I have had contact with Peter Beech from Anglo Hellenic and he has only been super-helpful with all my questions - even after I told him that I was not going to take the TEFL course at his school.

With regards to the posting that he is not interested in non-EU applicants - you have to understand that when Europeans want to work in the US we are faced with the same problem. It's difficult to arrange work visas and there are a proliferation of EU candidates ready to fill the positions! I don't think it is Anglo-Hellenic's fault that things are the way they are - it's the legislation itself that needs to change in terms of exchange between the countries.

There seems to be a lot of talk about how well one can live in Greece given the "low pay", "lack of professional development" etc. It's rather like saying how long is a piece of string?...I mean, how much "stuff" do you require in order to feel that you are living a good life? Are benefits such as clean air, a healthy climate, sunshine, less stress and hospitable and friendly people important to you? If they are then give Greece a go. If you're worried about your healthcare, your pension, saving for your retirement etc then don't do it - go to one of the more lucrative countries in Asia where you can make money in line with what you would expect to earn at home!

I'm also surprised at the tendency to group teachers into two camps - one of which is "I just want a year or two in the sun" and the other of which is "I am a serious teacher and want professional development and therefore Greece is out of the question" - it is possible to want both! Things cannot change unless we make them change - I'm on about embracing a culture and becoming part of it and working for the benefit of the local community - maybe I'm just being naive - but I think that with commitment and perseverance we can become more than "just another foreign teacher" (especially in a country such as Greece where they seem to have written the dictionary definition of the word 'hospitality'). A positive attitude is everything!
need4travel

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2005 12:06 pm    Post subject: Hell yes. Reply with quote

I just want to thank you for posting a serious, reflective message in this forum. I wholly concur with the points you raise, and have encountered the same in my Greek experience.

Though I am a teacher who plans my life only a year in advance, I am looking to develop a career in TEFL, and am open to staying in one place "if the shoe fits" so to speak.

You said it well enough, and congrats. I only hope more people are interested enough to click on this thread.
southeastjerome

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Firstly, I have had contact with Peter Beech from Anglo Hellenic and he has only been super-helpful with all my questions - even after I told him that I was not going to take the TEFL course at his school.

With regards to the posting that he is not interested in non-EU applicants - you have to understand that when Europeans want to work in the US we are faced with the same problem. It's difficult to arrange work visas and there are a proliferation of EU candidates ready to fill the positions! I don't think it is Anglo-Hellenic's fault that things are the way they are - it's the legislation itself that needs to change in terms of exchange between the countries.

It's one thing to have talked to Peter but quite another to have dealt with him. And it's not an issue of his not being interested in non-EU applicants; it's an issue of his not being honest with them
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Greece All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: