Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New Teacher looking for work in Taiwan

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bond

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2003 11:48 pm    Post subject: New Teacher looking for work in Taiwan Reply with quote

I'm new to the whole ESL thing and unfortunately I've come to realize that the beaches of Thailand are not worth it when the money is not there. I don't want to do S. Korea and Japan. I want some place a little different yet I need the money to pay off student loans.

Through experience can anyone tell me better places that offer competitive contracts for Taiwan. I'm looking to teach Young children as opposed to adults.

As well because I've given up on Thailand can anyone suggest a place that offers good teaching contracts yet have beaches or am I dreaming.

Thanks for any help
taiwan boy

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2003 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are a few nice beaches in Taiwan. Probably not as great as some of the beaches in Thailand, but good nonetheless. For example, Kenting in the south and Fulong in the north.

Most jobs in Taiwan are teaching kids. You can earn a good salary and send home money without any problems. Look through some of the postings on this board and also the Job Information Jounal for more information about teaching in Taiwan. Also search via google.com and you will find some interesting stuff.
ipsa

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2003 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you.
petermc

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2003 12:47 am    Post subject: Taiwan Reply with quote

While you will be able to arrange a job in advance , there are no advantages in doing so.

The only benefits you are likely to receive are "airport pickup" and a week or two of housing.

You can work out a better deal upon arrival and you can do it within a week.

Jenny Lai on Roosevelt Road in Taipei has a lot of good connections. She does take 20% of the first month, but her jobs are usually that much ahead of what you will find on your own. And you don't need to pay her until you receive you first payment. I believe she has connections island wide if you are looking outside of Taipei.
Bond

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2003 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the help!!

One last question has anyone heard of the Company The Canadian Education Centre Network (CEC Network)

I got a call from a recruitment officer and I'm not sure what they're like?
Any help would be great

Cheers
petermc

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2003 1:18 am    Post subject: Recruiters in Taiwan Reply with quote

I have never heard of them. But there just isn't any need for a recruiter in Taiwan.

You can arrange a job within a week upon arrival and the recruiter can't give you anything more than a direct hire will.

Taiwan is an easy place to find work and the SARS outbreak will only make it easier.
TaoyuanSteve

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2003 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not usually one for advertising other sites, but those of you considering agents and recruiters in Taiwan should read tealit.com's report on agents. We're not just bitter individuals when we say agents are snakes. They really are. Don't use an agent to find a job here.
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2003 3:15 am    Post subject: Finding jobs in Taiwan Reply with quote

Since the best method is simply to show up in Taiwan, where are all the jobs advertised? When you get there, how do you find out where the English schools are.

Also, does anyone have Jenni Lai's email?
Thanks
Aristotle

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2003 4:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

List of schools that hire foreign teachers in Taipei. By Hall Houston,
http://www.geocities.com/allhou/schootaip.htm
Another list for schools all over the island and some good links.
http://www.geocities.com/allhou/taiwan.htm
I strongly recommend that newbies do their first year in Taipei. You have a much better chance of being treated fairly and the labor laws are actually observed by most. .
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Taiwan All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: