Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Poor Pay - But......

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Czech Republic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dorothy

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2003 10:47 am    Post subject: Poor Pay - But...... Reply with quote

Ok so lots of posts about the poor pay in Prague etc but PLEASE would someone tell me that once I am there where is the best places to shop and eat and buy basic houshold stuff or second hand furniture. I can't change the pay rates but it would be helpful to know how/where to make it stretch as the Czech nationals do... thanks
Dorothy
Sigma

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2003 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just go outside of Stare Mesto or any other tourist area and you will be fine.

Globus is a huge supermarket (I am sure they have one in Prague) and food is cheaper then other supermarkets. The store is kind of like Wal-Mart... Twisted Evil

I usually went shopping at Albert or Billa in Olomouc and I found the food wasn't that expensive. You might find that things like toothpaste, detergent, tooth floss and other things like that are expensive when compared to the prices of food. It might not be a bad idea to take some of these items to Prague with you.... if you are really worried about saving money.
travellingscot

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2003 3:13 pm    Post subject: Stating the obvious Reply with quote

As the usual culprits have not yet said anything perhaps i can make a suggestion.I've only visited Prague and not lived there but as you are on this site i will assume that you are going there to work in an establishment where some other people,possibly local Czech nationals,can speak English.I am sure they can help you find everything you need and point you in the right direction.This has usually worked for me in a strange city,and if all else fails you can enter one of the many British/Irish style pubs in Prague and ask someone there,as most of the people inside will speak English,even after a few beers.
denise

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2003 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, the money's not as good as in other places, but I NEVER had problems getting by or enjoying myself. Granted, I didn't save much and wasn't able to travel around Europe, but on a net salary of about 10,000 crowns (with housing provided free--made all the difference! Oh, and this was in 1999-2001; hopefully salaries have gone up since then???), I was always able to go out, socialize, and travel extensively throughout the CR. I would advise you to avoid the touristy or expat restaurants/pubs (except for an occasional splurge--my fellow teachers and I would do brunch every so often) and find some good Czech pubs instead--there are zillions of them. Also, when shopping (I shopped a lot at TESCO and at small fruit markets), you can save money by avoiding imported goods with English labels and finding the Czech equivalents. Shopping for clothes, CDs, shoes, etc. will drain you very quickly, but if you're not a big shopper/spender anyway, you should have no problems.
Dorothy

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2003 11:29 am    Post subject: Thanks Reply with quote

Thanks for all this information. I thought that perhaps I would need to buy some second hand furniture. I won't be buying many clothes CDs etc as I am bringing enough with me. I am sure I will visit the Irish pubs coming from Iremland originally:)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Czech Republic All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: