Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What about Yanks?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Australia/New Zealand
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dan

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2003 7:44 pm    Post subject: What about Yanks? Reply with quote

your not wanting us to come notwithstanding, is it possible for an american to teach ESL in either of these countries? I will have earned an MA in applied linguistics/TESOL, 4 years teaching experience (2 in china, 2 at a uni here in the states), and think most americans are foolish bores. its this last bit that is decisive, no? thanks in advance for the input
G Cthulhu

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2003 11:42 pm    Post subject: Re: What about Yanks? Reply with quote

dan wrote:

your not wanting us to come notwithstanding, is it possible for an american to teach ESL in either of these countries

There is no way you would get a work visa for NZ for the simple reason that there are more than enough qualified TFL/TSL teachers there already. The only way around that would be if you came on a business visa, which would require you to set up and operate a business in NZ. That requires half a million US dollars minimum capitalisation/investment and a legal commitment to five years business activity in the country.

As I understand it, Australia is even worse for jobs ATM.

Sorry.
Albulbul

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2003 4:45 pm    Post subject: The world is not your oyster Reply with quote

It seems that lots of people still think that certification in EFL or a MA in Teflology is a ticket to a job anywhere they fancy. This myth has been peddled for a long time by those asociated with selling these courses.

The reality is that there is a small, geographically-restricted,and shrinking market for native-speaker teachers of EFL/ESL.

Maybe this is not the news you want but it is the truth. Draw from this what conclusions you will. (Some will say "Oh, this guy is so NEGATIVE !")
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2003 1:04 pm    Post subject: NZ jobs Reply with quote

Has the job force in New Zealand changed so quickly? I have a friend who taught in Auckland last year and she says that there are tons of jobs for TEFL teachers.

Are there any opportunities for Americans in Australia or New Zealand, or is everything taken?

Thanks
Sunpower

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2003 3:50 pm    Post subject: Re: The world is not your oyster Reply with quote

Albulbul wrote:
It seems that lots of people still think that certification in EFL or a MA in Teflology is a ticket to a job anywhere they fancy.

The guy is just asking a question.
There's no need to come at people like that.
JosephP

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2003 4:31 am    Post subject: Yank in Auckland Reply with quote

I'm from the USA and I work as an ESL teacher in Auckland. I was hired outside of NZ. So, yeah, it is possible for a "Yank" to secure teaching work in New Zealand. However, what with the SARS thing the job market is very slow right now as there aren't many new students coming in. There have been quite a few layoffs at the school where I work.
Sunpower

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2003 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes. I've noticed a shortage of students.

I'm definitely gonna loose money this month.

Business is bad all over now because of this thing.

I hope it gets better or it's back to Japan.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Australia/New Zealand All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: