Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

In BA - want to meet other teachers

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Argentina
View previous topic :: View next topic  
beanc

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2004 12:31 am    Post subject: In BA - want to meet other teachers Reply with quote

Hola everyone!

I am a Canadian, 25, female and recently arrived in BA. I would like to meet other Canadians or ESL teachers who are also in the area. I am staying in a hostel in the downtown area right now and am really enjoying myself so far.

If you are interested in meeting, let me know.

Sarah
nomadder

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2004 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am in Peru now but coming to BA in September to look for work. Will you still be there then? If you have any info to share please send me a message.
beanc

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2004 5:21 pm    Post subject: Coming to BA Reply with quote

Hola,

I will be in BA in September. Let me know when you are coming. There is work here although there isn't much work after December from what I hear. There is an English newspaper with job postings for Native English speakers. The jobs depend on what you want to do.

Good luck and keep in touch.

Sarah
Alex42

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2004 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi beanc,

I'm hoping to head over to BA sometime in the next couple of months, so I wondered if I might ask you a few questions?

How qualified do you need to be for the majority of jobs there? I've only got a weekend TEFL qualification and a degree, but I can say English pretty goodly. Wink

Are there lots of TEFL teachers around?

How good does your Spanish need to be? I have this mental image of me not being able to get a job because I can't get through a job interview with my somewhat basic Spanish! Confused I'll learn some more before I go, but I'll hardly be fluent!

Any help you could give will be hugely appreciated!

Alex
matthews_world

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2004 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How's the job market and the wages down there?

An Argentine friend of mine teachers make around 8 pesos per hour there, roughly $2.50 per hour.

That kind sucks.

It's cheap there but still.

How's the pollution down there?
OzBurn

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 2:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is interesting information about your friend, but I suspect it is not too relevant as far as wages for native speakers. Generally native speakers make at least three or four times as much per hour.

I also would be interested in the current situation vis-a-vis wages and hours. Also, I take it that the earlier poster's reference to "after December" means January until the end of February or so?
Aramas

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2004 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheap in BA? Haven't heard that before Smile

It's probably worth it though. I've just got to become a regular at a BA tango club before I die. So stylised yet so inutterably primal.
2 over lee

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2004 5:15 pm    Post subject: meet Reply with quote

'b

Last edited by 2 over lee on Sun Oct 03, 2004 6:26 pm; edited 2 times in total
JamesM

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2004 11:22 pm    Post subject: Curious about the hostel Reply with quote

Just for my own information............what is the name of the hostel you're (beanc) staying at? Has it worked out well staying there longterm? I'll probably be in the same situation when I come to BA.
beanc

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2004 11:34 pm    Post subject: Wow, many questions Reply with quote

Hola everyone!

I am responding to everyone since I don't have time to answer everyone's questions.

I am staying in a hostel and prefer not to tell everyone in the world where I live at the moment but don't worry about trying to find a hostel in BA. There are a million of them and half of those are located in the downtown area.

As for pay, no it's no the greatest but if you're coming to Argentina to teach, you're doing it for the experience and not the money, right? Institutes pay between 12 and 15 PESOS per hour and you can also offer private lessons for more.

I love it here, have had no problems except I'm trying to learn the language, found work right away and enjoy city life. So, if you aren't looking to make any money, want to experience the culture of a big city, meet new people, learn another language, then I enourage you to come here. If you don't like people, depend on others to do things for you, want to make money and expect organization, then I suggest another place.

If anyone's coming to BA, drop me an email. Sorry I don't have time to answer everyone's questions.

Sarah
duckie50

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2004 3:43 am    Post subject: Argentina Reply with quote

Hi,
I am looking to head to Argentina in January, and I would really appreaciate any info on finding a job there, namely a teaching job. I would greatly appreaciate any contacts or tips!
Thanks,
Molly
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Argentina All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: