Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What Kind of Position Can I Get

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Thailand
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ConsideringThailand

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2003 1:29 pm    Post subject: What Kind of Position Can I Get Reply with quote

I am considering coming to Bangkok to teach English. There seems to be a lot of conflicting opinions on this and other sites so I hope some of you can help me with some questions I have.

I am an American, 40 years old, professional appearance. I have a Masters Degree in Accountancy. I have been teaching English conversion to adults and children in Japan for about 9 months. I also have several years of professional IT experience.

What kind of teaching position can I get in Bangkok? How much can I expect to earn per month? Can I earn enough to live a comfortable lifestyle? I don`t have a lot of material needs, but don`t want to be a pauper either. How many hours should I expect to work a week?

Should I enroll in a TEFL certificate course in Thailand? Will the time and expense involved translate into a better position? If so, should I go for a CELTA, or another course?

I appreciate any helpful replys and feel free to email me also.
[email protected]

Last edited by ConsideringThailand on Thu May 22, 2003 1:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
gecko

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2003 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thailand is one of those places where it doesn't make too much difference what sort of qualifications you have you will normally end up with just a normal teaching job

Good luck
ConsideringThailand

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2003 3:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is a normal teaching job?

How much is the salary? There seems to be a wide range of salaries, from 25,000 to 50,000 mentioned in ads. What kind of teachers get the better paying positions? Are their qualifications different?

How many working hours per week are required? I notice many ads list contact hours, but are there other hours that teachers are required to be at the schools?

I notice many ads, including some on the site in your profile, esljunction.com, specify a Celta or Tefl certificate.
Are those abnormal teaching jobs or do these positions usually go to teachers without certificates?
gecko

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2003 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you will be working in Bangkok and it is your first time there expect to get a job with a salary of around 30-35,000 THB. There are other jobs out there that pay more but they are hard to come by and it is useful to make some contacts.

As far as hours are concerned, you will find that most but by no means all schools are not worried about lesson planning so if you are lucky to get a job with hours that are grouped you will prob. just be there for teaching hours but it all depends on who you are working for.

When I wrote before about qualifications not making much of a difference but I guess it depends on just how qualified you are and are those qualifications differemt. Let me know what qualifications you have and maybe I can give you a better assesment.

I'm sorry that I cannot write more but I am very short of time at the moment. I will write some more in the next few days. Meanwhile let me know a bit more about yourself.
ConsideringThailand

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2003 12:39 pm    Post subject: Re: What Kind of Position Can I Get Reply with quote

Gecko, thanks for your help.

I am an American, 40 years old, professional appearance. I have a Masters Degree in Accountancy. I have been teaching English conversion in Japan for about 9 months to adults and children. I also have several years of professional IT experience.

I would prefer a position teaching adults or high school students only. Ideally, I would like to work for a university or high school. It seems from my research that the hours and working conditions are better than at the private schools ( am I right here?).

I have pretty much made up my mind to come to Bangkok at the end of June or beginning of July. I just need to decide if I should take a certification course and where I should try to find work.
sigmoid

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2003 3:33 pm    Post subject: JUST ARRIVE Reply with quote

CT -

I would say that with your credentials and experience that you don't need to bother getting certified. You should be able to get a job at a university easily. but you need to come soon because the first semester is tstarting in the first part of next month [June]. The second one starts in November.

Yes, the hours and conditions are better than those at language schools but the salary usually isn't very high.
gecko

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2003 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I understand it, the salary is about 18,000 Baht in a University + 6-7,000 Baht housing allowance. Not a lot of money but I hear the hours are really good.
sigmoid

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2003 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
As I understand it, the salary is about 18,000 Baht in a University + 6-7,000 Baht housing allowance. Not a lot of money but I hear the hours are really good.

Well, almost. The standard salary for gov't unis in T-land is 17, 580 baht/month + 8000 baht housing allowance for someone with a bachelor's degree. Teaching hours should be 12 - 15/week which leaves ample time for supplementary work. Private/international unis or high schools will probably pay more, especially if you have a Master's degree.
hagakuri

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2003 4:24 pm    Post subject: Answers Reply with quote

Hi,

Here are some straightforward answers that will hopefully give you some insight on your considerations. Firstly, it appears that you have less than a year teaching experience in the Asian region. In addition, some employers may look at the fact that you completed 9 months in Japan, and ask you questions accordingly. If this was indeed your contract length, then make sure that you get a solid letter of reference indicating the length of your contract length. And stating the fact that you completed your contract. However, if you did not complete your contract your prospective employer will weigh its transitory applications.

With this first issued being weighed, you should expect a starting salary of about 25,000 baht with a possible additional 3,000 baht for housing.

This may not sound like a lot for salary, but it is on par for the vast majority of teachers in Thailand with similar experience as yourself. It will afford you a fairly comfortable lifestyle. Meaning that unless you have prior monetary debts from your country of origin.... life will be good in Thailand. This salary will not allow you to save and put away money. Hopefully that is not your intention.

Second, enrolling in a TEFL is entirely up to you. Thailand is not a country where this is a heavy stipulation before employment, as it is with some countries. If you intend on leaving Thailand to pursue your teaching elsewhere, then Thailand is the place to get your TEFL or CELTA certificate. If you intend on staying in Thailand, then it is not overly necessary. There is not a direct ratio correlation in Thailand.

Third, `what is the normal teaching job?` When and if you come to Thailand you will soon realize that nothing is normal!!

People that are making 50,000 a month are almost always teaching at an International or Bilingual school. Very few will be making this in the public sector unless they are PhD with a zillion plus years experience.

Contact hours: same as Japan. Usually anywhere from 22-26 contact hours with 18 - 14 office hours where you are expected to be on the schools premises in some fashion or form.

Please listen to Sigmoid when he states that you need to come soon than later. The later you wait, the harder time you will have in finding a position.

Your IT experience is not really applicable, unless you are going for a techincal area of teaching such as MYSQL, AS400, etc in a university setting.

You should seriously look at the IT venue for employment options here. There is a real demand for serious IT personal in Thailand. These positions start at 50,000 a month pretty easily.

Hope all the best for you in Thailand, and that this info helped you at least a little.
toscatiger

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2003 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You mention IT.

How easy it for farangs tgo get jobs in this sector?

I do not see many ads, or am I looking the wrong place?
NipponPoke

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2003 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hagakuri....

You seem pretty knowledgable about this. Can I ask you a question as well?

I'm sort of in a similiar position as this guy. I'm thinking seriously of moving on to Thailand for a teaching job.

By the time I leave Japan, I will have seven years teaching experience under my belt but still no CELTA or TEFL certificate.

Are you pretty much agreeing that a guy in my position can expect perhaps an offer at a university job? I'd prefer teaching at businesses like I have been in Tokyo. Are there a lot of jobs like that in Bangkok?

Thanks.
hagakuri

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2003 10:09 am    Post subject: I think Reply with quote

Hello,

You should be able to secure a job with a university without much difficulty. Remember, if it is money that you are after then apply at international universities first, followed closely by bilinguial universities. With the experience that you have, a CELTA is not needed for teaching in Thailand.

Finding employment in a private company teaching language instruction will be difficult in Thailand. Most companies turn to outsourcing this to other companies as it is easier and more cost effective for them.

I did see a couple of positions listed at a website that had requirements for professional people to train in others in various business disciplines.
They were offering 2000 baht an hour.

Go to Thailand, get a stable job at a University. Learn some basic Thai and then start networking with others and within about 4 months you should see some opportunities that may interest you.

Hope this helps.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Thailand All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: