Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Tourist Visa to 'Z' Visa ?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jkirk8

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2003 8:29 pm    Post subject: Tourist Visa to 'Z' Visa ? Reply with quote

I am planning to go to China in the near future on a tourist visa, find a CET job, and then get a 'Z' visa. Sounds simple enough but I would like to hear from anyone who began their teaching in the PRC in this way and would be willing to share some info with me. Thanks. James
xiaoyu

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2003 5:30 am    Post subject: Keeping your eyes and ears! Reply with quote

Hey! good luck with you choice. i did that last year and completely loved it once i had been there for a bit. now, keep in mind that you are going somewhere completely different.... keep an eye out for postings about companies/institutes that are suspicious... there are a lot of good websites that will tell you alot... this is one of the best... and listen to your instincts... keep in touch with the embassy and consulate and make sure you have follow up plans... not to scare you off but just if this is your first trip abroad... anyother questions? or want to know more specific info? just email me... ! again good luck
Roger

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2003 1:48 pm    Post subject: Work in China, visa Reply with quote

You can always come to China and get a work visa from a school here. This is the normal way for them to find people and to hire them.
I suggest you apply for a 3 month visa, or even 6 months. Recently, there have been some reports about funny questions on the visa application forms (sponsor in China, places to visit and so on). I do not believe you have to answer these questions faithfully, but I suggest you not mention you are going to work here. Until maybe 15 years ago, people needed an invitation letter duly stamped by the authorities in China to be given special visas.
If you find it too difficult to obtain a 3 month tourist visa, fly to Hong Kong and apply there. You will get it with hardly any hassles save a day in time, two pictures and some money. Some visas sell for 400 HK dollars (multiple entry, 6 months).

But make sure your CHinese employer does go through the hoops in hiring you. Many take shortcuts! You don't want to be found by the police to be working and residing illegally! That is asking for a lot of unpleasant experiences!
stgeorge

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2003 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it necessary in that situation to do a visa run?
arioch36

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2003 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it ethically okay to lie about your intentions for the visa? I'm not sure. I would hate for a Chinese person to do it, but they have to to go to school in America. But I think realistically, it is a great way to do it. You can check out the school, living quarters, etc.
1) Be aware that many schools will say they have the legal right to hire you, but don't. They will get you to constantly renew your tourist visa. These places often have lower morals/ethics about how to treat you. Colleges with party leaders usually don't lie about this. You can always ask to see their card they get when they are authorized to have a foreign teacher.
As someone said, the tax man cometh to China. They are tending to be more serious about this, thouigh it is still very easy to work here illegaly.
Oh, for the privelege of being a foreigner, while you look for a job, you get to stay at only the most expensive hotels. Once you get the job, accomodations are on the house
Roger

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2003 2:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

St George,

In reply to your latest question - "is it necessary to do a visa run?" , my answer is:
Your school can upgrade your tourist visa to a work visa right in the place where the school is located. You won't have to leave the PRC, if that is your worry!
Actually, most schools prefer to monitor you a while without committing themselves, sort of probation time for a month or two. That is why I suggest you come equipped with a visa that is sufficiently long valid. Otherwise, you would have to exte4nd it, and this poses a new problem:
You must be housed legally, and your school cannot house you legally without a work visa. You would thus have to check in at a regular hotel that has been approved for foreign tourists.
Not a difficult solution, but the hotel might be inconveniently located. I knew guys who just spent a night in a hotel to get the coveted extension, then a work visa.
But your tourist visa should be multiple entry, so that you can visit Hong Kong and Macau and return.
joe
Mod Team
Mod Team

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2003 10:48 pm    Post subject: One night hotel stay? Maybe unnecessary Reply with quote

I was able to get an extension on my visa, while being housed illegally at a school on a tourist visa. The PSB didn't seem to care, didn't even have to lie to them. I would be cautious though, if your school doesn't have good "connections"
arioch36

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2003 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

True, most "teachers" working illegally in China have no problems constantly renewing your tourist visa. These supposed connections will mean squat if you have problems. If you look at most of the people who had problems, there was something done od the sly...no z-visa, z-visa which gave you a residence permit that wasn't your real school, etc.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only) All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: