Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

1st EBC Tefl course 2005

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Argentina
View previous topic :: View next topic  
apuravida

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2004 5:49 pm    Post subject: 1st EBC Tefl course 2005 Reply with quote

Anyone out there thinking about taking the EBC tefl course in Feb? Does anyone have info about EBC in Buenos Aires?
shevek

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2004 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I�m taking it in a few days in Madrid, and I�m considering looking for work in Argentina when I finish. I�m not sure where I�ll end up but I�m hoping that the school�s connections will be useful there as well as Spain in case I have difficulty finding legal work without an EU passport. If I learn anything useful about Argentina, I�ll PM you or post it or something.
Karl Borja

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2004 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi!

My girlfriend is doing the EBC course in BA in Feb or March, depending on how quickly I can turn over my teaching hours in Madrid. I was very happy with EBC in Madrid, I�m American and although its true that EU�s from the EBC courses "glide" into jobs in Spain, as an American I didn�t have any problems looking for hours.

It really depends on the TEFL school you choose, how many job contacts they can provide and of course how you follow up and impress these contacts later on. Funnily at EBC they even tell you what the "right" answers are. You see the TEFL school has a sister company called EBC Idiomas which is a language school in Madrid which means they know what the other language schools want to hear. The nice part is they share this information freely which really preps you up for the interview.

I was asked almost the exact questions they told us at the EBC job workshop, like how long you intend to stay in Sapin, how you will handle this type of client, what books do you feel are appropriate for these levels, etc, etc. It was really awesome.

It�s really a good school not just for the teaching you get but for the little extras they give you from a cultural point of view which for "unseasoned" travellers like myself mean a lot. Its my first time out of the US, I mean living, not just your usual backpacking trip and I found EBC�s extra help like what is acceptable and not acceptable in Spain very helpful.

Maybe to some this isn�t important but as I said to others it is very important especially if youre young and just starting to live and earn your keep in another country far from the good ol USA! How little did I know about Europe! I had preconceived notions about Spain and I found out to my surprise that they aren�t as second world as how they were pictured when I was researching back home!

So yes, I hope to start working in BA next year when my girlfriend and I decide which month is best for her to do the EBC course, maybe Feb or March.

Karl
maggs187

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2004 7:19 pm    Post subject: same benefits Reply with quote

do you think the Argentina EBC would be as helpful...I know they are related...but Madrid is the main hub right???

Thanks
Karl Borja

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2004 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I did go to EBC Madrid. I will be in Madrid maybe till Feb 05, then, from Feb/ March of next year I hope to be in BA working. EBC has offices in Madrid and I believe in London as well but that one in London is catered mainly for the corporate training sector, nothing like the TEFL stuff. But don�t quote me on the London office because i wasn�t really interested in that kind of heavy "pinstriped" training yet. Also I�m a bit too young for that. So I�ll stick to the TEFL scene for now.

But I believe they run their schools very professionally and I�ve noticed something common in their 2 schools in Madrid, they�re pretty personalized and low key. I guess because the owners and staff are teachers to the core, not the usual business people you see so often in courses abroad. When I was looking for schools to do my TEFL I really did my homework and some schools I spoke to were so hard sell it was sometimes borderline tacky!

I guess the people at EBC are just that - teachers , maybe that�s also why the "used car sales tactics" don�t come into play when you speak to them.

So my opinion is if the BA is going to be like Madrid, then you have excellent services in a much cheaper country! Hasta luego!

karl
apuravida

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2004 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info on EBC. For all the information I've gathered, it sounds like they run a pretty good program. I'm going to sign up for the course early next year.

I've been looking into accomodation on the suggested websites and I can't believe the deals in B.A. - Super nice furnished studios for US$350-500 a month including all utilities! I'm guessing if we're making between US$5-10 an hour, those accomodation prices will be manageable. What do you think...are you all looking into apartment accomodation?
apuravida

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2004 6:26 pm    Post subject: EBC Reply with quote

Hello everybody
I just sent my application to EBC for the TEFL course in February and they told me that the course won't begin until March 21. Whats up with that? Do you think they are unorganized and the school will not be ready?
Karl Borja

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2004 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to burst the criticism bubble here but aren�t you glad that this company is keeping you current? Would you prefer to arrive at the school�s doorsteps (see ITC�s case!) and finding no course is being run?

Besides if you�re like my girlfriend, although she has already put in her application, she hasn�t paid any deposit or any of her precious dollars or euros, so her moving to Feb or March really hasn�t spoiled anything. As far I�m concerned I�m glad they wrote Janet (my girlfriend) a good 6 months in advance so we know what to do!

karl borja
JimRoss

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2004 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our first course in Buenos Aires was changed to start on March 21, 2005, instead of February. One of the main reasons is that starting up in a new country takes a lot of organisation, planning and time and we want to ensure that the installations and services meet the same standards as our Madrid centre.

We at EBC TEFL would rather let you know about the changes almost 4 months in advance instead of a few days before the course starts as another company did recently. We feel this is the correct thing to do so as to allow you to organise your plans accordingly.

We appreciate that some of you are impatient to know the details of the new EBC TEFL centre but we do not want to rush things and end up having you disappointed.

Finally I'd like to say that we will have the Buenos Aires training centre identified by the end of November, set up early in the New Year and that our first course in Buenos Aires Argentina WILL run on March the 21st 2005. As always you will be kept posted of every development.

If you do come and take our course you will appreciate afterwards that the last thing you could ever call us is disorganised.

Please feel free to contact me with any questions you have.

Regards,

Jim Ross,
TEFL Coordinator

Madrid Contact:
Phone: (+34) 91 555 3975 (Training centre)
Fax: (+34) 91 345 0843

UK Free Phone Contact:
Phone: 0800 011 2806
Fax: 0800 011 2860

US/Canada toll free Contact:
Phone: 1 888 393 4015
Fax: 1 888 393 4050

Mailing address:
EBC Servicios Linguisticos Europe SL,
Orense 26, 2A, 28020 Madrid, Spain.

Web:
<http://www.ebc-tefl-course.com/> http://www.ebc-tefl-course.com
Karl Borja

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2004 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Jim:

Thanks for that post. Do you remember me and the blunders I had with my lesson plan diskettes? Embarassed Oh well, I�m a bit more seasoned now, and as I mentioned, Janet and I are thinking of moving to Buenos Aires next year.

Just for curiosity who�s manning the school there? David, John,?? Well, it doesn�t matter, but we�re really excited about this move.

Thanks,

Karl
apuravida

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2004 2:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excuse me for sounding too harsh in my last post - I certainly didn't mean to criticize. I sometimes forget how 'e-language' can come across without expressions and intonation as communication tools. I was so looking forward to the February start date but 4 months IS plenty of notice for a date change. There are so many TEFL courses available...I just want to make sure that I choose the best one...EBC sounds like a good choice.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Argentina All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: