Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Best way to go about getting work in Brisbane.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Australia/New Zealand
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HC

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2004 2:32 am    Post subject: Best way to go about getting work in Brisbane. Reply with quote

Hello everyone and please to meet you (I'm new)

I am a qualified and experience History teacher (BA/BEd from Queensland, 1 year teaching History at a high school in Brisbane and 1 year teaching History at a high school in London - my Qld Teacher Registration is still current). Next week I'm doing CELTA and hope to some ESL/ELICOS teaching before going overseas after the summer.

So what's my best approach - can Education Queensland help me? What are my chances of getting work at a Uni or TAFE - do they advertise? Does my teacher registration give me the opportunity to work in more schools?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Cheers

HC
august03

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2004 5:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a HUGE demand for private English tution in Brisbane, lots of Koreans and Japanese. Go to any language school and put up a notice, it may help pay the bills if you have trouble finding work. Wink
lozwich

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2004 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi HC,

I recently had a two month "holiday" in Brisbane. I got back on the Thursday and by Friday afternoon I had about 4 job offers. Luckily for me, this was in July, the height of study tour season, although in the end, I ended up taking a "relief" job, which turned into 6 hours a day within about 2 weeks.

The way I got this work was by using the NEAS website for a list of accredited schools and also just doing "EFL Brisbane" type web searches. Then, I emailed everyone, and made a few follow up phone calls once I was in Oz.

Hope this helps!
Lozwich.
Old Dog

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2004 10:24 am    Post subject: Hilton International College, Brisbane Reply with quote

Well, whatever you do, don't get tangled up with Hilton International College. It's a doozey of a place. If the number of people sacked from there were to gather, you'd need the Brisbane Convention Centre to hold them. They don't hold staff long. And if you do work for them, keep a careful record of all your experiences, join the union and then hit her hard with a wrongful dismissal claim through the union when she ditches you. Don't cop any of her crap.

Keep an eye out for Wales.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Australia/New Zealand All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: