Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Teaching K-12 in Alaska/West Coast

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General North America Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
angstrom

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2004 3:27 am    Post subject: Teaching K-12 in Alaska/West Coast Reply with quote

I'm originally from NY, currently in Russia teaching English, and soon going to Japan for 3 months to teach English as well. The plan is to go to Alaska/West Coast next May and get a teaching license while teaching. Is that at all realistic or will I need the license before I can teach? ANy input welcome as to which State is the best to teach in, and live. I am planning to relocate permanently from NY, as it is a jungle out there... Especially looking for fine outdoors, decent cultural life, and amazing vistas.... Am I way off base here? Thanks for any info!!!!!
Lynn

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2004 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The state of Alaska will pay for your BA: Education if you are willing to teach in a remote native village to pay if off. I've had two friends do this. It was well worth it.
angstrom

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2004 2:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks! I have heard of this before, but do you have more concrete info, like a website or something like that; I'd love to teach in a remote area and have done a lot of web surfing on it, but haven't found anything as of yet. Thanks again though, that already is of great help.
NM
dtomchek

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2004 2:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello:

It depends on what you want to teach. Nowadays, it takes 2 years beyond the BA in California to get a liceanse. That said, if you would be willing to teach Special Education, districts have programs that are designed for you to teach while you are getting the certificate. Other than that, you pretty much have to get the liceanse first. I know as I was offered a Spec Ed position before coming to Japan on one of these programs for San Diego Unified School District. LA also has a program for it.

Good luck.
yodetta

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2004 6:45 am    Post subject: k-12 west Reply with quote

University of California at Santa Barbara, Givertz Graduate School of Education, offers a good one-year M.Ed/credential program...though it's pretty intensive, running from August to August. Look it up at:

www.ucsb.edu

And there's always the "Teach for America" program...

I'd like to learn more about K-12 in Alaska myself! Let's hear more about that...any links? I've got relatives in Nome.

Y
melirae

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2004 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty interesting! I did a little reseach on the web and just wanted to share what I found:

This link has other links that have lots of info-
http://www.neaalaska.org/teach/

This seems to be only for Alaska residents-
http://alaskaadvantage.state.ak.us/page/155

I still would be interested in anything else someone may know about teaching in Alaska.

If you don't have your heart completely set on Alaska, Georgia offers certification in 1-2 years through their TAPP prgram. To qualify, you need a Bachelor's degree with at least a 2.5 GPA. Check out this link for the steps to take-
http://www.gapsc.com/GATAPP/home.asp

There are a lot of beautiful places to live in GA! Very Happy
JosephP

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2004 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd rather gargle razor-blades than live in Georgia.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General North America Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: