Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Malaysia

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Asia Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
misterno

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2003 3:05 pm    Post subject: Malaysia Reply with quote

Hi,

Someone once told me that teaching in Malaysia was the most thrilling experience of his life. I am surprised nobody here in this forum ever mentions this? Is he bluffing me? Is there ESL work to be found in Malaysia? What's the story? Why isn't there a forum on this country, let alone even one discussion?

I am curious. Has anyone here ever taught in Malaysia? If so, please share: where, how much did you make, how was it, etc...

Sno.
Montreal, Quebec
bnix

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2003 4:16 am    Post subject: Try the Jobs Journal Forum... Reply with quote

There is a Malaysia forum on Dave's Job Journal.Click Asia and then Malaysia.However,right now,there is only one posting on Malaysia.
misterno

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2003 1:22 pm    Post subject: But I want more! Reply with quote

Hi,

Yes I know, I have seen the one and only post in that category. But I want to know more. Of all the people that come on this site, only one has taught in Malaysia? Come on!!!

Teachers in Malaysia, we need your feedback! Well, at least I do.

How 'bout a little meat, huh?

Gracias.
Warren

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2003 11:27 pm    Post subject: I'm curious as well... Reply with quote

I'm interested in any work in Malaysia as well, and find it interesting on how such a widely known website has few postings on the country. My finace is Malaysian, and as an engineer she may have good employment opportunities over there. If we ever moved there, i'd be interested in teaching english. I have a B.Eng. degree as well, but this is not a B.A which i notice is the specific educational requirement for many jobs. I hope that doesn't matter too much. So who's working in Malaysia right now??
gerard

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2003 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could post in General Discussion where most people are. This is the first time I have even looked at this board.
Kathvit

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2004 12:33 pm    Post subject: I've taught there Reply with quote

Dear all

I taught in Malaysia for 3 years, from 1997 to 2000. I was in KL at an international language school. Admitedly it was all a long time ago, but as I'm teaching in Singapore now, it isn't that much of a blur.

My husband is Malaysian and we decided to go back there just after we got married. I'd had 4 years in Japan as an EFL teacher, and 2 years in Australia before I went there. I also have a CELTA and a relevant MA. Upon arrival in KL (before I went, i canvassed all the international schools and private language schools in KL with no joy) I contacted a couple of schools, and was hired at the one I worked at for 3 years.

I really enjoyed my time in KL. It's a vibrant, exciting, smelly, congested, infuriating city but I love it. I was there during the Anwar riots, and more than one occasion my colleagues and I were tear gassed on ourway to lunch! Not to mention the September we wore gas masks to work due to the Indonesia forest fires. Quite exciting, and a big change from sedate Osaka!

If you really want to go to KL, IMHO you should:

a.. only go if you are fully qualified with relevant experience.

b. expect pathetic pay. To put things in perspective, I made RM 4000 a month, which was considered a fortune. Divide this by 3.8 to get the equivalent in US dollars.

c. be over 26 ( work permit rule)

Also, most people in Malaysia ( or at least in KL and in the Klang Valley where most of the work is) can speak English anyway. Most of the work is ESL. Like Singapore, once people's confidence is raised and they wake up and realise that they can speak English, our jobs will be nonexistant!

Good luck with your job hunts
Hod

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2004 6:09 am    Post subject: Re: I teach there Reply with quote

Quote:
expect pathetic pay. To put things in perspective, I made RM 4000 a month, which was considered a fortune. Divide this by 3.8 to get the equivalent in US dollars.

Fair post, Kathvit. RM4000 is still the norm. Unfortunately, the Ringgit to Pound rate is going bonkers, i.e. from RM6.3 in January to RM7.25 today.
By all means, come to Malaysia, it's cool. Pay off any debts first though!
Polina

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2004 8:34 am    Post subject: Malaysia: cost of living Reply with quote

So, what would you need to live reasonably each month in RM:

e.g. rent for a decent enough two bedroom apartment in a decent area
food: I know a delicious curry is available for RM6 or more
bills - electricity, phone, water, whatever else
travel on the LRT and buses both to and from work and in leisure time
other general items like clothing, toiletries, cleaners etc.
entertainment: whatever people living there can actually do (not including travel, which I know is really cheap)
anything I've forgotten which you might remember

Can you give us a good idea of this?
Bunny

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2004 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can still have a very good standard of living on about 6000 rm a month. Jobs offering lower than this sum are not worth considering. Do watch out for holiday allowance too. Malaysia is a really beautiful country, but sadly some emplyers offer only 3 weeks per year holiday. I know that International House Malaysia has their teachers working 6 days a week for only 3000 rm a month with about 3 and a half weeks holiday a year. What's more, most of the teachers there are working illegally and International House appear happy about the situation. Other centres are much more reasonable and professional however. Teaching in Malaysia is a real pleasure, but do look into the school very carefully first as once you have a permit, youn can't transfer to another better centre.
Hod

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2004 4:54 pm    Post subject: ih Reply with quote

Not quite true about IH. They pay 3500 plus a housing allowance of 450 or free accommodation which is quite decent. Apart from that, IH could be such a great school. The teachers and students are amongst the best I've ever come across. Sadly, the ineffective management and the bureaucracy created by IH KL's attachment to some university means it's best avoided.

RM6000 in KL is unrealistic. Firstly, you don't need that much, but it would be nice. Only the British Council or Internatinal Schools pay this. Another example of a TEFLy exaggerating me thinks lah.
Bunny

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2004 2:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry Hod, my mistake on the salary. Full time teachers do get 3500 rm a month. But the temporary 2 month teachers get 3000. And free accommodation in a shared flat which is fine unless you get the small room.
IH apparently has 2 centres but I have only seen the university centre and being rooted there for 47 hours, 6 days a week is not my idea of fun and would certainly not make a person want to sign a 2 year contract for the extra 500 rm, unless they love dust, heat, the colour black, a poor social life and a major headache getting into town. I heard the other site is ok though, but will be winding down with students transfering to Cyberjaya.
I agree IH could be a lot lot better, but the management is a disaster. The DOS has lots of jobs and is rarely seen, the ADOS (while she, at least, is excellent) is in the other centre most of the time and is constantly hampered by the powers above her. If she was able to do things her way the centre would be so much better.
Until that happens, maybe IH is best avoided.
Doh!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2004 3:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well...IH Malaysia seems to attract a lot of negative press these days. Is it really THAT bad? I thought Ih was a reputable company.
Hod

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2004 12:48 pm    Post subject: ... Reply with quote

Doh! wrote:
Ih was a reputable company.

True.
Doh!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2004 5:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You mean it was ok before???! What happened? I was going to apply for the three month contract. Can it really be that bad?
Hod

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2004 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doh! wrote:
You mean it was ok before???! What happened? I was going to apply for the three month contract. Can it really be that bad?

Get a longer fishing rod.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Asia Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: