Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Working legally in Argentina

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Argentina
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mozsmith

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2004 12:45 pm    Post subject: Working legally in Argentina Reply with quote

Hey guys, this is seems like question number 5000 since I have joined this place!

I am Australian and I contacted the Argentinian Consulate here who stated that I could bring all the requirement documents for a working visa and " see how I go" ( she seemed very relaxed about it all - unlike Spain).

What is the situation like in getting a working visa?
Phil_b

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2004 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The consulate in London said I needed to find a job, and then go to them..... in London....

That's looking impractical, so I'll "see how I go". It seems that most people dont bother with visas, however the situation might change. I've heard varying answers from friends who have spoken to the department of Migraciones in Argentina.
matttheboy

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2004 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you can find someone to lend you 100 000 pesos (33000) for a couple of weeks you can get a tempory resident's visa that lets you live and work legally for up to 3 years. What happens after these 3 years i don't know, maybe you'd have to go through the process (applying for residency as an 'inversionista') again. You basically have to put the money in the Argentine central bank whilst your application is processed then you can take it out again.

Alternatively, if you're lucky enough to have access to around 2400 pesos (about us$800) a month (for example if you're retired and have a pension-pensionado- or you have shares in a foreign country-rentista) you can gain tempory residency through that. You can do both of these things in Argentina without having to leave the country.

Officially, when you apply for a work visa with a valid contract you have to return to your home country but i have read a couple of rather cryptic posts on other websites (which i unfortunately can't remember) that say there is a way around this. A decent lawyer should know.

There's loads of info about the requirements here:

www.migraciones.gov.ar
mattsnuts

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2004 5:38 am    Post subject: working holiday Reply with quote

I don't know about Aussies, but Kiwis under 30 can get a working holiday visa which is valid for one year.

There's a clause on it which says you can't work for the same employer for more than 3 months, but I'm sure by the time they found out you'd be gone...

That's my plan

-Matt
Listening to: 'Mah Na Mah Na' by 'Skin' on Media Center 9.1
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Argentina All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: