Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

help me with my job search in Los Angeles

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General North America Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pam

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2003 8:56 pm    Post subject: help me with my job search in Los Angeles Reply with quote

Hi there,

I recently relocated from Japan where I was teaching English at the university level for the past three years. I've been looking for part-time and/or full-time work in LA but I'm struggling in my job search. I've looked at UCLA, SMC, all the private language schools, as well as monster.com, hotjobs.com, flipdog.com and careerbuilder.com. I don't know where else to look for a job. Can anyone help me?

Thanks!
Pam
bnix

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2003 3:32 am    Post subject: Ouch!Look at Non-TESOL Options Reply with quote

You probably are already painfully aware of this,but the job market for TESOL teachers in LA is just not as large as the one in Japan.You do not mention your qualifications...but a university like UCLA,well,they probably get at LEAST a few score extremely well qualified applicants applying for a very few teaching jobs.There is not a very big market for TESOL ANYWHERE in the US...and a lot of the positions which do exist are dodgy,catch as catch can,a few hours here ,a few hours there.

So...I suggest you broaden the geographic area of your job search to at least include other areas in California.Also look at non-TESOL options.I am very afraid you are going to have a really tough time finding a TESOL job which will give you enough hours and pay you enough...in LA...and in many parts of the US.After all, English is the major language.Do you have a state teaching cert?What are your qualifications?Do you have the necessary qualifications to teach in the public school system in California?Or do you WANT to do that?Ouch!Maybe it was better in Japan,eh?Anyway,sincere good luck,but if you intend to stay in the US,I suggest you also look at non-TESOL alternatives. Smile
Pam

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2003 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Bnix! I have a MA in TESOL but I don't have my CA state certifications. I'm planning on taking the CBEST this June. What do you mean by non-TESOL positions? I've also been looking at administrative positions at a couple of universities close by. Do you suggest a certain alternative career for folks with EFL/ESL experience?

Thanks again! Very Happy
bohinj

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2003 6:08 pm    Post subject: Try Language Systems Intl. Reply with quote

Try Language Systems Intl. They have 4 schools in the LA area and are always looking for teachers. It will most likely be a part-time placement.
bohinj

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2003 10:02 pm    Post subject: Teaching in LA public schools in an uphill climb Reply with quote

You really need to do some research before you assume you can get hired in the LA public school system. I don't mean to be negative but I assumed I could do the same thing after I came back from Japan two years ago.
They are having huge budget problems and are laying off teachers. Not only do you have to pass the CBEST but also the CSET, which is the old MSAT. LAUSD will hire you into their intern program if you have passed both of those plus their one week training program. Or you can pass the CSET and enter into a university credential program, which is either long and cheap, or short and expensive, depending on the school. One year is the shortest program and the price is about $16,000.
If you are willing to teach special ed., you can get a job much more quickly.
Dr Disco

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2003 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Things aren't too bad if you can get a job teaching adult ed for the public school systems. The only problem is that they will only give you part time hours, but at least they pay about 35 an hour to start (for LA Unified) and a bit less for other districts. Language Systems International is a good school to pick up some money at, as they are ALWAYS hiring it seems.
Be sure to negotiate the prep time pay, which is a big secret to some of the teachers at the school. I know that some teachers get it, but others don't even know about it. It is their policy to say that no one gets prep time pay. If you can negotiate it they will add about 5 hours each week to your check.
As for LA Unified, the best thing to do is to contact the principles or head of the ESL departments at each school that offers ESL and go from ther. Good luck.
Belmont

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2004 5:50 am    Post subject: LA Unified Reply with quote

It is a long haul getting signed on, but but once you are, teaching adult ESL for LAUSD is wonderful. The students are great and the pay is better than average. If you start out subbing and "prove yourself", then you have a pretty good shot at getting something more permanent that will include benefits such as health insurance and a retirement plan...something that becomes important to us aging TEFLERs! Laughing I want that little shack on Lake Chapala some day!
Twisting in the Wind

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2004 4:39 pm    Post subject: Language Systems Intl. Reply with quote

Several posters recommended Language Systems Intl. (LSI)

Have you actually worked for that school? I have, and I found it to be the creepiest place. The management and owners are trying to build a race of "Stepford Teachers" whi will toe the Language Systems line no matter what. They are vey corporate, over-controlling, tight, anal. They constantly side with the students over the pickiest little things in the classroom: "Teacher sits down too much" "Teacher hates me" stuff like that. The student body is a bunch of rich, spoiled brats from Asia and elsewhere who take delight in ratting out teachers for amusement.

Maybe some teachers like the atmosphere, but the company culture and atmosphere there was so stifling I coldn't breathe. Surely, you can do better. Try FLS/ ULS Language Center. They have a more relaxed management style, don't automatically side with students over teachers. There's one in Alhambra.

It's interesting to note that management really seems to set the tone at these private schools. If mgmt is picky, tight and anal the students will be too. If management is more relaxed, students will be. They feed off each other.

I had some of the worst experiences of my teaching life at LSI and it taught me a lot, actually. Students challenging me in the classroom, then running to the owners to report me for some misperceived thing. That never happened at ULS.
khmerhit

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2004 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I worked in a place like that in Cambodia--bunch of little rich so and sos complaining to the DoS--"Teacher didnt answer my question!!" Ugh. I moved on to something better.
Belmont

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2004 7:05 am    Post subject: Teaching in LA for LAUSD Reply with quote

Belmont wrote:
It is a long haul getting signed on, but but once you are, teaching adult ESL for LAUSD is wonderful. The students are great and the pay is better than average. If you start out subbing and "prove yourself", then you have a pretty good shot at getting something more permanent that will include benefits such as health insurance and a retirement plan...something that becomes important to us aging TEFLERs! Laughing I want that little shack on Lake Chapala some day!

Here I am a few months later and with a much different attitude about teaching Adult Ed for LA Unified. As I mentioned above, the hourly pay seems great, but they only pay for the exact amount of time you are in front of the class. For example, I have a 2.5 hour evening assignment, M thru Th. There's also an unpaid 15 minute break in the middle which brings the total to 2.75 hours. We're also asked to be in class 10 minutes early which is unpaid. I know this sounds petty, but it's just an indication of how LAUSD treats its teachers. Then there's the issue of prep time. I, like most teachers I work with, spend nearly as much time preparing as we do in front of a class--ESL is labor-intensive. So I'm working 20 hours a week and getting paid for 10.

Another very annoying aspect of teaching adult ed for LAUSD is the paperwork. There's lots of testing (scantron forms with numbers, dates, updates, etc. to be filled in by the teacher) as well as tedious weekly attendance reports to manage. All this takes TIME. And guess what? They don't pay you for it. But they scold the heck out of you if it's not done "in an accurate and timely manner". Just wait until the No Child Left Behind debacle hits. The testing mania is going to be even worse.

This year two steps DOWN on the pay schedule were added; sub pay was frozen at the lowest step and new-hires have a longer period of time to make a step advancement. Also, those who'd been grandfathered in with health insurance bennies now lose those bennies if their teaching hours drop; and they can't requalify if their hours increase later.

In the face of all this, I've got an administrator who's expecting me to form committees, give demonstration lessons and "set an example"...oh, and write-up the occasional report informing her of my activities.

The district is also "crying poor", so I don't think I'm going to be given additional hours because they'd have to pay benefits. LAUSD used to not be this way so much, but now it's following the hiring practices of colleges and universities: part-timers are a dime a dozen.

I really love working with the students, yet I find myself feeling disgruntled. I feel like I'm being ripped off--especially when I'm working alongside admin people having cushy 8-hour days @ $50+/hr. Our union seems to be making some headway toward negotiating better conditions for us adult ed teachers. I can only remain hopeful.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General North America Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: