Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

My quest for Romanian citizenship
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2004 5:14 pm    Post subject: My quest for Romanian citizenship Reply with quote

SOme of you may know that I'm trying to get Romanian citizenship. SO I thought I'd keep a bit of an ongoing diary about how to obtain it.

There are various ways to obtain it. The easiest is if one of your parents is ROmanian. I just found out that my mother still has Romanian citizenship. She became a naturalized American citizen in 1965 after escaping from Romanian when it was going through a bad time. She escaped with her mother, who was American and her sister, her father came a few months later.

Anyways, my mother thought that if she became American, she would give up previous citizenship. This whole time she was under the impression that she had given up ROmanian citizenship. The truth was that until the 1990s, America didn't recognise dual citizenship. Which meant that in America's eyes, she was only American, HOwever, Romania did and still does recognise dual cit, so this whole time, she was Romanian. In the 1990s, the USA decided to recognise dual cit.
SImple put, if one of your parents is Romanian, and have a valid passport, all their children related by blood are also citizens. My mother has to get a passport. She needs her ROmanina birth cert and marriage cert. WHich needs to be translated. She needs the originals. And it takes a long time. After this, I'll be Romaninan and can apply for a passport. Right now, my mother is requesting her birth cert.

One other thing, according to ROmanian law, my mother can't give up ROmanian citizenship, becuase it was required by birth. This is according to UNHCR

(1) Romanian citizenship can be acquired, retained or lost as provided for by the organic law.
(2) Romanian citizenship cannot be withdrawn if acquired by birth.

DUAL CITIZENSHIP: RECOGNIZED. (from multiplecitizenship.com)
Due to Romanian recognition of dual citizenship, a child born to parents of different nationality is permitted, by Romanian law, to be a dual citizen. The only possible restriction might be the laws of the non-Romanian parent's country.

The Family roots Option. This is for people who's parents don't have passports. (I can't remember where I found this info. I think a lawyer told me)
Under this option the applicant must have roots in Romania or ex Romanian territories; he must be born in Romania or to have one of his parents born in Romania, or one of his grandparents born in Romania. This will qualify the applicant, his/her spouse and children of any age for citizenship. If many members of same family will apply at same time for citizenship they will have separate sets of documents and citizenship will be obtained separately.

Edit: Over the years I have compiled info about getting Romanian citizenship, such as the constitution, UNHCR rules, translators, lawyers, and other useful links. I'd be happy to send anyone this info. The more people that claim Romanian citizenship, the more experience immigration officers will have with processing papers, and the easier it will get for everyone involved. I know that my case is much more complicated than most people's and they should have an easier time than I am. Feel free to PM me or email me ([email protected]) with any questions.

Last edited by naturegirl321 on Wed Apr 13, 2011 3:10 am; edited 2 times in total
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2004 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.romconsny.org/
http://www.roembus.org
http://www.romaniacanada.com
http://www.roemb.co.uk/index.php?what=consular/legislation

Some links that have info about RO cit.
CairoMig

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2004 9:31 am    Post subject: Do you need to speak Romanian?! Reply with quote

Wouldn't it be handy to learn some Romanian in the 4-6 months it takes to get your passport? It's not too difficult once you learn the basics, I suggest "Teach Yourself Romanian" (with the cassettes), everyone I knew in Romania who learnt it used the book including yours truly (at least at the beginning) Smile
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2004 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeap, however all the tapes are in the USA and I'm here in Peru. BUt I will look innto in for christmas
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2004 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Info about military service
Art 17, Chapter 1 of the Romanian Constitution states that: "Romanian citizens living abroad benefits from the Protection of the Romanian State and must fulfil their duties except for those that are not compatible with their absence from the country." Obviously the military service for Romanian citizens living abroad is such a case of exception:-).

For practical reasons I doubt a Romanian citizen residing abroad can be called for military service in Romania:
1. it has to be registered with a recruitment office. As far as I know there is none abroad and all information procedures are related only to Romanian-based institutions (e.g. local authorities/commercial agents must present lists with residents/employees of military age to the military institutions)
2. it has to get by mail the incorporation order based on recruitment offices' records: no incorporation order, no military service
3. travel expenses are too high

Romanian citizens can opt for alternative utilitary service (e.g.
working in a hospital, for environmental organizations etc. ).

Last edited by naturegirl321 on Thu Apr 07, 2011 12:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2004 2:59 am    Post subject: Romanian bureaucracy is a nightmare Reply with quote

I had called the consulate general of chicago and was told all my mom needed to do was get a passport and then I was automatically a citizen.
They said that all my mom needed was a birth cert, marriage cert, and US ID.
Well, of course, things didn-t go as planned.
When my mom was naturalised, she changed her name from Mihaela to Michele. And never registered the change with Romania, So she needs to do that, That-ll take at least three months and 90USD. At birth her name was A B C D when she was naturalised, she changed the order to A C B D, then later on in life, just went by C B D. She never dropped it legally, so on her marriage cert, driver-s license, social security, everything is only C B D, so I-m sure that that-ll cause problems later on.
She also needs to register her marriage after she registers her name change, which-ll take at least three more months and 80USD.
THEN she can apply for a passport, which takes three months and 80USD.
AND THEN I can start applying. First I need to register my birht with Romania, which is three months and 90USD. Then I can get a passport. Three months and 80USD.
So with any luck, I should get the passport within a year and a half. And it-ll cost around 500 USD.
Geez, I hate bureaucracy!
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I got all the paperwork translated by my mom's aunt and got my birth certificate notarized. My mom is waiting for her US passport. Then she can apply for her name change which is the first of many steps.
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My mom got her US passport, only took 3 weeks. So now she can start applying for all the Romanian documents.
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My mom sent off the documents for her name change and to register her marriage. HOpefully by this summer it will be finished and she can get her Romanian passport.
grahamb

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 3:33 pm    Post subject: Romanian citizenship. Reply with quote

Sounds batty to me (groan!).
Ovid

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 5:40 am    Post subject: Re: Romanian citizenship. Reply with quote

grahamb wrote:
Sounds batty to me (groan!).

WHAT?

Normally my romanian ass would forgive this as a 'drunk' post but this seems to be more stupid than drunk.

Do explain. Or would a mod please ban this tard.

Edited to add: Naturegirl, your posts are greatly appreciated by many. I look forward to hearing about, and wishing you luck, in your quest for Romanian citizenship!!
grahamb

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 7:48 am    Post subject: Dear, oh dear. Reply with quote

Didn't the "(groan!)" give you the slightest hint that I was being facetious? Obviously not, so I'll explain: Batty - bats - vampires - Romania. Get it?
Try reading Dracula sometime. You might try developing a sense of humour as well.
Here endeth the lesson.
scot47

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What puzzles me is that "Naturegirl" seems to be having a dialogue with herself. But then she is talking about becoming a citizen of the Principalities of Wallachia, Transylvania and Moldavia. Can't be too many people doing that.

Last edited by scot47 on Sun Mar 13, 2005 11:34 am; edited 1 time in total
grahamb

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 9:02 am    Post subject: Citizenship Reply with quote

To be fair, Naturegirl said at the beginning that this thread would be "a bit of an ongoing diary about how to obtain it", ie Romanian citizenship. I think she's looking ahead to Romania's entry to the EU and the prospect of spending some time teaching English over there.
A lot of folk from the US of A (and elsewhere) keep asking the same question: How can I work legally in the EU unless uncle George invades and lets us in? NG's diary will give second passport applicants an idea of how to go about it.
Wassamatter, Ovid? Still trying to figure out the bats reference? Try this one:
Teacher: I'm going to work in Alaska.
Student: Cool!
Sorry for butting in, Naturegirl. I'll take my irony elsewhere.
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So my mom is trying to change her name. Because she has four different names. NOw she has to send her naturalisation papers to Romania, because they say that they need to varify that she is an American citizen. I don'0t see what that has to do with a name change in Romania.
HOw frustrating!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Romania All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14  Next
Page 1 of 14

Jump to: