Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Teach English & Scuba Dive?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Thailand
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pcruz

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2003 5:19 am    Post subject: Teach English & Scuba Dive? Reply with quote

Thank you for your time and patience in advance. I am hoping to fullfill a crazy dream in Thailand because it seems to be impossible in the Philippines:

Could some kind soul out there recommend a school in Thailand that is close to the beach (easy access to a dive shop) and hires crazy Americans. I would be grateful and appreciate any and all help.

May your dreams come true while helping to fullfill mine.

lilpaul Very Happy
Hod

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2003 9:09 pm    Post subject: ... Reply with quote

Want to live and teach near the beach? Guess what, so do thousands of others.

I lived in Bangkok (has dive shops), and did quite a bit of diving near Pattaya, about an hour�s drive from the Capital. The only other Thai place I dived was Phuket. I�d love to have worked there but it�s pricey and the low-paid jobs are few and far between.

Restricting yourself to this criteria won�t leave many schools to choose from, and you can bet those schools will have you working on Saturdays when many dive clubs meet. You�d do better looking for jobs 1-2 hours from dive sites, obviously in the southern half of Thailand (not much diving to be done up north Confused ).
pcruz

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2003 3:25 am    Post subject: Thank you Hod! Reply with quote

You're right Hod, can't have my cake and eat it to. I like the recommendations that you gave me. Could I have a few school names that would give me my cake, but not eat it? Sorry to be picky, but I am like a helpless child here looking for a hand! Thank you again Hod!

lilpaul :)
Hod

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2003 1:21 pm    Post subject: ... Reply with quote

I don�t wish to sound unhelpful but you�re just not gonna get that magic answer. Buy a Lonely Planet, check the dive sites and look at jobs on the internet. You�ll almost certainly have more luck if in Thailand already.

For Thai dives (in the sea) check:

http://www.rayadivers.com
pcruz

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2003 7:38 pm    Post subject: No hard feeling, Hod Reply with quote

Your right again Hod, I am not taking any of this information and help the wrong way. I will do as you suggest and take all the info. to heart. I am please though that at least I'll get the cake, not eating it isn't that important sometimes.

Thank you again for your time and patience Hod! Enjoy your vacation where ever you are??

lilpaul :D
Tabitha Smallpiece

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2003 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yet again we see another wannabee teacher who seems to think being a native born speaker of English is indeed his passport to ''Teaching English '' in Thailand .

Can one not wonder that the renumeration is so poor with plonkers like this ? Surely you are either a diving instructor or an English teacher, make up your mind which course you intend to pursue and do a proper job of the chosen task. Rolling Eyes
sigmoid

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2003 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yet again we see another judgemental self-appointed critic.

Quote:
...who seems to think being a native born speaker of English is indeed his passport to ''Teaching English '' in Thailand .

Indeed, being a native English speaker IS the main requirement for many English teaching jobs in many countries.

Quote:
Can one not wonder that the renumeration is so poor with plonkers like this ?

[Sorry, no words matching "renumeration" were found.]

Irrelevant. Remuneration in Thailand is so poor because of greed.
Hod

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2003 10:16 am    Post subject: Tabitha Reply with quote

Nothing wrong with wanting to live in a country for reasons as well as teaching. I don�t see how you can criticise from reading pcruz�s post. He might be an awesome teacher who loves his job, and his hobby too. Now, if he could only find that google/yahoo button�
pcruz

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2003 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Hod and Sigmiod for watching my back. I don't mind criticism, I see it as a different opinion. Opinions are like buttholes, everyone has one, hopefully they are kept clean.

I have checked out the webiste you recommended Hod, but have not found any jobs located close to that dive shop. I did find a job in Rayon where there are a few dive shops near by. Yes, I found it with google!

Thank you again for your time and patience folks!

lilpaul :D
pcruz

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2003 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

damnit, I misspelled "website." I am going to get hell for that one!!

:shock:
Tabitha Smallpiece

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2003 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah thank you Sigmoid for highlighting my spelling mistake, I seek your forgiveness for my horrendous crime. Hod you are indeed a sage of great talent and I thank you for your comments too.

I am but the humble head of an International school here in Thailand, and I have only lived here for some 12 years, and only have some 25 years of international teaching experience. Perchance my knowledge of the type of applicant one gets responses from may be a trifle jaundiced sad to say.

I presume that if you are ill you visit the local grog shop or building site for treatment , rather than the doctor or the hospital out patients department where one would expect to find propely qualified staff to treat you ?

By your comments regarding the diving and teaching English situation you would indeed have no qualms about seeking help from unqualified people and indeed paying the expected fees either ?

Come now, can you really offer a valid defence for such a situation ? Yes I am indeed a self appointed critic, I see too many unqualified applicants or sad to say '' applicants whose documentation cannot be verified by the supposed university in question '' .

The above sitution is prevalent in Thailand and you all suffer in the salary levels offered as a result of such situations . We offer a starting rate of 90,000.Baht per month, plus housing allowance of 18,00. per month, health care, sickness payments, return flight, and end of contract bonuses are paid too. However we do seek properly qualified and indeed staff who are willing to give us full value for money, in return we pay accordingly. All teacher's salaries are linked to the U.K. Burnam Scale.

cast the mote from your eyes my friends.
Hod

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2003 8:02 am    Post subject: ... Reply with quote

yes yes yes, are you anywhere near a dive shop?

Oh and Tabby, a few weeks ago you asked�

Quote:
Does anyone know anything about a school called 24 hour English in Bangkok ? I am a girl and a little scard of being left high and dry here in Thaialnd is any one able to help me?

And now..

Quote:
I am but the humble head of an International school here in Thailand,

I bloody knew Thailand discriminated in favour of birds. It�d take me at least a year to get that job.

Fixed that forum yet? Shocked
Tabitha Smallpiece

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2003 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tabitha did indeed ask about 24 hour English due to a vested interest in the matter and an investigation by the education ministry into said school.

Tabitha is an adviser to the Thai Ministry of Education, Private and International schools section. Hence my request, I cannot divulge further information as the whole matter is indeed ''Sub Judice '' so to speak at this moment in time.

Tabitha will inform you know that as from the middle of next year (2004) the regulations surrounding language schools and unregistered schools will be enforced in a draconian way.

Registered International, Bilingual and Private school foreign staff will have work permits issued to them at their place of employment without any problems. Other catergories are going to face a horrendoud barrage of questions and red tape to weed out the unqualified staff and illegal schools. The wheels are already in motion so be prepared for a rough ride if your or indeed your employers are judged as wanting.
Hod

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2003 8:53 am    Post subject: Tabby the teaser Reply with quote

Quote:
I cannot divulge further information

Oh please Tabby, just a little bit more�you tease you.
Tabitha Smallpiece

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2003 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hod
Our next meeting of the '' Thai International Schools Association '' is on June the 9th, I may be able to tell you more after said meeting.

Ministry matters are somewhat more discreet as I am sure you realise, I personally am in favour of weeding out the crap schools, hopefully then teachers in language schools will be paid a fair rate for the job, and the consumer will get value for money too.

As regards my and others like me trained and qualified school teachers, I think you will find that peole such as us are employed under a very different set of rules, and indeed.

Our employers are normally well established with sound financial backing and proper ethics also, makes life so much more pleasant for all.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Thailand All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: