Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Dual CDN/British Subject- PGCE and costs

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Kingdom
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GambateBingBangBOOM

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 8:55 am    Post subject: Dual CDN/British Subject- PGCE and costs Reply with quote

Hi,

I was born in England but my parents moved to Canada when I was two-ish. I now live in Japan, and am thinking about what to do after finishing here (I'm a 2nd year JET programme participant and have signed up for my third year- so this is about what I will do after July 2006).

I have a
-> 4-year degree (English Literature/ Music History) from a Canadian university (plus a few extra courses in History for a second teachable)
-> 1-Year TESL Certificate from a university in Ontario, Canada (I read somewhere that it could be roughly equivalent to a DELTA, but I'm really not sure- the courses were all in the Linguistics department and it included a practicum for about three hours a week that lasts pretty much the entire year).

My question is:

Do I need some sort of time logged in the UK in order to get some sort of residence status (I mean on top of the citizenship) soas to not be considered "international" for universities offering teacher training programmes there (if I remember correctly when I when to an information seminar about doing it before I came on JET they were asking something like $30,000CDN for the year)?

If so, could I teach ESL in the UK and survive doing it (keeping in mind that I sound Canadian).

->(by that time) I'll have three years experience in Japan on JET, six months volunteer experience teaching ESL to adults, primarily beginning level, in Ontario and experience in a summer language camp situation (in which I designed all materials), for advanced level.

or

If so, would other EU countries (where the potential - I guess- for employment is probably be a bit higher with my British passport and TESL education) somehow count for EU residence and therefore qualify for the residence period in the UK?

Also, I am not necessarily thinking of using the PGCE to teach in Canada (although if I can do that too, then that'd be great), I was more thinking of using it to work in international schools in Asia, or schools in Europe or even in the UK.
Phil_b

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There was another thread talking about something similar..... It was for Master's courses... but It might well be the same...

The rule appears to be that you need to be resident in the EU for the three years before taking up the course.

I don't think there was a definitive answer though
GambateBingBangBOOM

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, I found this in another thread:

Quote:

Who qualifies for home student status?
You may qualify for home fee status based on the following:

A. that you were settled in the United Kingdom within the meaning of the Immigration Act 1971 on the relevant date (refer to UKCOSA manual/website); and
B. you have been ordinarily resident in the United Kingdom and Islands for a specified three year period preceding your course; and
C. that no part of the period of residence in (B) above was wholly or mainly for the purpose of receiving full-time education.

For further information, details and exceptions visit UKCOSA or DfES:

www.ukcosa.org.uk
www.dfes.gov.uk
If you do not meet the criteria for classification as a �home� student you will be classed as an international student and charged the appropriate fee.

That means if I had left Canada while I was still a Landed Immigrant/Permanent Resident for over six months (and therefore not allowed to come back) I would still be considered "International" for universities in the only country in which I had any offical standing at all, and yet I could work legally throughout the EU because of that official standing (EU passport).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Kingdom All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: