Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

TESL courses in the UK

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Kingdom
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mozsmith

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2004 6:03 am    Post subject: TESL courses in the UK Reply with quote

Hey guys I was originally looking at doing a TESL course in Spain, but because I am a Non EU resident, I am having trouble getting the right visa and permits.

I have noticed though that some universities (such as Westminster) offer TESL , 4 week courses and I was wondering what they are like and if anyone had completed \ or knew anybody that had done one.

I know that I will not be able to teach properly in the UK ( not that I really want to ) but I should be able to find work contracts in Europe with a UK qualification right? Confused
dyak

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2004 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think that having a UK qualification will help you get a contract in Europe. You'll always need either EU citizenship or a work permit I'm afraid, but nothing is impossible!

I can recommend St Giles College in Brighton as a great place to do a TEFL course.

Cheers.
swagg

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2005 12:57 pm    Post subject: TESOL courses in the UK Reply with quote

I recently finished my TESOL course at ULT in Woking, Surrey and I can honestly say it was a fantastic course with great teachers and plenty of opportunity for hands-on teaching experience.

I was dubious about the number of dodgy EFL/ESL courses advertised and didn't want to waste time or money. Couldn't have wished for a better set-up. It's a 4-week intensive (and I mean intensive!) course but you can also do it part time, or split 2 weeks and 2 weeks.

A guy from one of the Spanish courses came over to resit part of the course in the UK and said he learnt more in one afternoon than he did on the whole course in Spain (maybe an exaggeration, but his point was that the teachers had a better attitiude and were all-round better teachers). The certificate is the Trinity CertTESOL. Course is a bit pricey but well worth it. Am hoping to take it to Mexico in a couple of months time. Good luck in whatever you decide in any case!
Couper

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2005 3:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mozsmith, I might be a little late but thought I'd reply anyway.

I did my CELTA at St Giles in Highgate a few years ago and they were extremely professional. Have heard good things about Westminster too.

I finished my course on a Friday and started full-time teaching at a place in central London the following Monday. The owner of that school employed me on the basis of "a very good recommendation from an excellent school". Thus I believe that all CELTA certificates are not created equal - if you want to work in the UK you may be better off going with a respected local place than some smaller overseas joint.
stillnosheep

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2005 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Celta from Leeds Metropolitan University.

Four week intensive course. Very hard work but excellent course.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Kingdom All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: