Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Jobs in NYC??

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General North America Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
peterquinn

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2004 2:16 am    Post subject: Jobs in NYC?? Reply with quote

Can anyone help me find a job in TEFL in NYC?

What do I need? I have a degree but no certification or experience.

Anyone know any schools that are hiring in NYC?
dangermouse24

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2004 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you had any luck yet? are you looking to teach in the public school system or a private language school?

Job websites like
http://www.jobbankusa.com and [url] http://www.careeerbuilder.com[/url] have the occassinal postings.

You could also try getting a listing of the language institutes from the yellow pages on line (comes up around 100 in NYC), several of them have e-mails and web sites listed. The websites often have updated listings or you can e-mail and let them know you're interested.

Are you a US citizen or have residency in the US? If you are and you're interested in teaching in the public system you should check out NYC teaching fellows http://www.nycteachingfellows.org they are looking for people with little or no teaching experience.

Last edited by dangermouse24 on Thu Jan 08, 2009 4:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
peterquinn

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2004 3:05 am    Post subject: Cool! Reply with quote

Thanks for the info. I'll give it a go!
dangermouse24

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2004 4:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad you found it of some help. I just found out there today from a friend about two very good websites for teaching jobs in the US. http://www.craigslist.org and http://www.teachers.net Maybe you can find something there or one of the posters in the job forum can give you more help. Good luck with your search.
Lynn

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2004 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I worked at the following schools:

Zoni Language. (they are usually hiring because they have such a high turnover)

ALCC- you might be able to pick up a weekend class. Otherwise, they have no openings.

Embassy CES- you can get hired as a temp. teacher for the month of february, otherwise it's all dinasaurs.

English Language Learning Center.- You can pick up some hours here, but they pay is the lowest of the NYC ESL schools. ($12/hr). You also might get fired after working for 3 months.

New York Metropolitian. I doubt they are hiring now, but you can give them a try. Pay is slighly higher.

Rennert Bilingual. Again you can probably pick up a private lesson here or there.

When I lived in NYC, I had 5 part -time jobs.
argie888

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2004 3:20 pm    Post subject: Do Not Work at English Language Learning Center Reply with quote

I wanted to comment on Lynn's reply to Peter. All her suggestions were fine with the exception of English Language Learning Center located in Midtown Manhattan. The school transferred to a new owner as of October 1, 2004. My unhappiness with the school stems from the fact that since the transfer has occurred NONE of the teachers have been paid for their services. This has caused me to quit, mid-November, when I was given a sob story from the new owner. In fact, the school is not even honoring the hours purchased from their students.

Please PM me if you want to know the whole story.

Also, I've had good experiences at Embassy CES. They have a nice facility and good administration.
MattElz

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2004 3:52 pm    Post subject: Zoni Reply with quote

Why is the turnover so high at Zoni?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Lynn

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2004 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zoni is a typical visa factory type school. The main focus is on money so teachers are treated very poorly and manegment is a joke.
argie888

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2004 1:00 pm    Post subject: Job Interview Reply with quote

I interviewed there and was told to call their branch in Queens (because they had an opening), however, after leaving several messages, no one called back. Based on that that, Zoni might dazzle on the outside, but not when you have to do business with them.
Echidna

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2005 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NYC has many decent opportunities for ESL teaching. I think you may be selling yourself short by applying to the big chain schools; Zoni, etc. Not to say that the teaching qualitiy is any better or worse (to this day, some of the best teachers I've ever worked with were at another large school, New York Language Center) but the money, etc. can be significantly different.

First off, try the community centers. These are the federally funded (at least partially) programs around the city. Most of them offer free ESL classes. Here are just a few contacts: A word of warning; some of the contacts may have changed - I'm going off an old list.

Agudath Israel of America
2 sites in NYC (212) 809 5935(ext 104) fax (212) 809 4132
Program Director Faigy Berkovich
[email protected]

Brooklyn Chinese American Association
(718) 438 9312 fax (718) 438 8303
President/CEO Paul P. Mak
[email protected]

Carroll Gardens Neighborhood Women
(718) 624 3475 fax (718) 624 3475
Program Director Carol del Signore
Executive Director Christina curran
[email protected]

Chinatown Manpower Project
(212) 571-1691/2 (ext. 118) fax (212) 571 1686
Program Director Yvonne Y. Yang

Community Impact/Columbia University
212-854-9621 fax (212) 854 4770
Program Director Sandra Helling
[email protected]

Cypress Hills Local Development Corp.
(718) 647 8477 (ext 102) fax (718) 647 8276
Program Director Emily Rubenstein
[email protected]

New Horizons Adult Education Program
(718) 455 1166 fax (718) 452 3047
Program Director Virginia Lumbre
Executive Director Jareldine Fritz
[email protected]

NY Association for New Americans
(212) 425 2900 (ext. 1200 or 1011) fax (212) 344 1621
Program Director Lena Valentino
[email protected]

Northern Manhattan Improvement Corporation
(212) 453 5371 fax (212) 928 4180
Program Director Sarah Dordel
[email protected]

Riverside Language Program
(212) 662 3200 fax 212 870 6841
Executive Directors Phyllis Berman
[email protected]
and Leslie Robbins
[email protected]

United Community Centers
(718) 649 7979 fax (718) 649 7256
Program Director Sondra Santoni
[email protected]

Another suggestion; try the NYC library system. There are dozens and dozens of library branches around NYC in all five borroughs. Many of them offer ESL classes, and they pay quite well. I don't have an address offhand, but a quick Google search should cough up the information.

Also try ANY of the universities, colleges, etc. around NYC. I would hazard a guess and say that MOST of them have ESL programs. Again, you'll have to do some research on the Internet, but I guarantee you a plethora of productive addresses.

And last, one of the best NYC-based websites for professional jobs is the LAC wesite. Check out this address:

www.lacnyc.org/about/jobs.htm

Good luck! Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General North America Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: