Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Volga Centre contract

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Russia & C.I.S.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
flyingfish2004

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2003 8:13 pm    Post subject: Volga Centre contract Reply with quote

Hello Everybody:

I've just been offered a post a Volga Centre. Having read Kruhoeffer's various tips on accepting a contract in Russia and other near-disaster experiences of other ESL teachers in Moscow, I decided to seek further advices from the "experts" in this field. Wink Here's the deal I got:

-25hr/week, $450/month, from Sep. to June
-12hr/week, $250/month, during summer (a red flag?)
-$4/hr for overtime (another red flag?)
-10-12 month contract (which translates that I'll have to teach at least for one month in summer? for $250?)
-furnished private flat (bathroom & kitchen shared?)
-most classes are in the evening (is this the normal hours for learning English in Russia?)

If anyone knows of any contact at Volga Centre or has any past dealings with this school, please post the feedback. (could be positive, though) Rolling Eyes

ruslan
flyingfish2004

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2003 2:36 am    Post subject: follow-up Reply with quote

Is it normal that you only get paid "partially" for your flight upon the completion of the contract? ($500 in my case) (In East Asia, they usually pay to the full!)

There was no paid vacation mentioned. Sad (for a 10-12 month contract) I hope I won't just work 10 months, or worse, 12 months straight. (with some odd statutory holidays here and there notwithstanding)

And final catch: no mention on reimbursing the working visa fee, which is $200US for multiple (12 months)! Again, in East Asia, this sort of fee is usually reimbursed.

If Linguamir and Volga Centre were one and the same, how could the employment contract have diverged so much over the last 3 years? (assuming that Kruhoeffer does have all the perks he claims Smile )

If anyone has some insights about the differences between Samara and Togliatti (life, people, etc), I'll be gratefully enlightened. Picking one over the other is virtually a matter of a toss-up for me at the moment. Embarassed

ruslan
Kent F. Kruhoeffer

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2003 5:50 am    Post subject: *********** Reply with quote

Last edited by Kent F. Kruhoeffer on Sat Jul 05, 2003 6:15 am; edited 2 times in total
rogan

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2003 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by rogan on Tue Jul 08, 2003 6:44 am; edited 1 time in total
Kent F. Kruhoeffer

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2003 7:13 am    Post subject: *********** Reply with quote

Last edited by Kent F. Kruhoeffer on Sat Jul 05, 2003 6:16 am; edited 1 time in total
Kent F. Kruhoeffer

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2003 6:49 am    Post subject: ********** Reply with quote

Last edited by Kent F. Kruhoeffer on Sat Jul 05, 2003 6:17 am; edited 1 time in total
Kent F. Kruhoeffer

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2003 8:00 am    Post subject: ************ Reply with quote

Last edited by Kent F. Kruhoeffer on Sat Jul 05, 2003 6:18 am; edited 1 time in total
Kira

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2003 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please see my reply in your personal mailbox.

--Kira
flyingfish2004

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2003 6:03 pm    Post subject: sound Reply with quote

Hi everybody

It worries me more that no paid vacation was mentioned at all than just paying me $450 a month.

If the working hours are not honoured and one is asked to do overtime (or for any breach of what's been stipulated on the paper), is there any recourse one can take in Russia? In Japan, an ESL teacher can depend on the agreement established or he/she can turn to the association of ESL teachers for help. What's the working ethics like in Russia? (not that I assumed a darker character of Russians, though Cool )

ruslan
Kent F. Kruhoeffer

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2003 5:27 am    Post subject: ********** Reply with quote

Last edited by Kent F. Kruhoeffer on Sat Jul 05, 2003 6:20 am; edited 2 times in total
flyingfish2004

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2003 10:29 am    Post subject: i'm no runner Reply with quote

Hi Kent

Thanks for the advice. Laughing (My fingers are crossed about finding a decent deal, for the moment)

ruslan
flyingfish2004

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2003 10:58 am    Post subject: Kira Reply with quote

Hi Kira

Please see my private message. Cool

ruslan
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Russia & C.I.S. All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: