Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Non-whites teaching in Morocco

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Africa Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ananda

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2005 3:15 am    Post subject: Non-whites teaching in Morocco Reply with quote

Does anyone have any insight about the success of someone who is not white getting hired in Morocco? Is this an issue? I am an American citizen of South Asian dissent. I have had lots of trouble getting hired in Asian countries because of this reason, in spite of the fact that I hold both a B.A. and TESOL certificate, and have teaching experience.

Last edited by Ananda on Mon Jan 17, 2005 11:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
nolefan

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2005 3:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you'll be fine. The only bias there is usually directed at those of middle eastern origin.
refazenda

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2005 9:19 am    Post subject: US native? Reply with quote

Are you a US native or a naturalized citizen? I know my husband ( also South Asian) had someone in Morocco see his resume and immediately say he was not qualified since he was not a native speaker. When he responded that he moved to the US aprior to starting elementary school, and that he completed all of his education there, the school wrote back expressing its apologies, and proceeded with his application.

Funny that they let mine through with no problem. I use his surname, and I don't have what is always perceived to be a western first name.
Brooks

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I knew a Pakistani woman teaching at the ALC in Rabat. Her husband was American. She went to university in the US.
alcmarr

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2005 7:36 am    Post subject: Non-white in Morocco Reply with quote

Frankly, I find your question a bit astounding. Moroccans themselves range from very black to very white (in Fes) with most of the people somewhere in the middle. This is really not an issue for a foreign teacher in Morocco (although it may be in some of the oil-rich Gulf countries).

The question of nationality, however, may be. I'm familiar with the ALC policies. The Ministry of Labor will not issue work permits to teachers coming from non-anglophone countries to teach English in Morocco while Morocco has 1000s of people with BAs in English out of work. So this is why an ALC might hesitate. If it can be shown, however, that the person lived her whole life in the States, it may be different.

Hope this helps

Salams

AR
garfield007

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ananda, I wondered why I couldn't use my own name when I logged on. Now I have to use Ananda1.

Interesting to meet another Ananda. I'm from South Africa. Did you know our names means "bliss"

Have a super day!

Best wishes,
Ananda
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Africa Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: