Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Comments appreciated

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kabina

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 11:25 pm    Post subject: Comments appreciated Reply with quote

I would really appreciate any comments on the following part of a contract from the Higher Colleges of Technology. I am particularly concerned with the "Health Allowance". ($2100 US = 808 OMR)

4. REMUNERATION:

4.1 The Employee will receive an all inclusive remuneration package of USD $ 2,100/= per month with the following break down.
4.1.1 Monthly Salary USD $ 1,500/=
4.1.2 Medical Allowance USD $ 50/=
4.1.3 Transport Allowances USD $ 350/=
4.1.4 Utility Allowance USD $ 200/=
4.2 The remuneration will be payable in arrears at the end of each month during the contract of employment with the Client.
4.3 This salary is inclusive of all sums payable under the Law towards income or other Taxes.
4.4 The remuneration package is inclusive of all expenses (basic salary, utility, transport , and medical)

Thank you, Kabina
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2005 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kabina,

I have never heard of such a thing as a 'health allowance.' I would ask them what it means. If that is all that they provide and you are on your own in case of an accident or serious illness, I'd tell them to stuff it.

No housing allowance? If you have to provide your own housing, this pay would be considered lousy.

VS
(for anyone who may not know... this organization has NOTHING to do with the Higher College of Technology in the Emirates.)
Kabina

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2005 4:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks VS for your reply.

Furnished accomodation is provided as well as annual air tickets. My main concern is the health care.

6. MEDICAL:
The employees shall pay his/her own medical cost on which allowance is included in the monthly salary..

I don't know anything about medical costs in Oman but the $50 US allowance seems to be ridiculously low.......what happens in case of an accident or any medical emergency? I'm sure $50 wont cover it!
Disregarding the medical allowance (I will speak to the recruiters about this), what is your opinion of the offer?

Does anyone have any information on conditions at the colleges?

Many thanks, Kabina
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2005 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I can tell you that medical costs are a fraction of what they are in the US. For instance, a medication that I take daily costs $100 for 100 pills in the US, but costs $7.60 (and it is from the same factory in the same bottle) in Oman. Let's say that you were in a car accident or got appendicitis... that could likely eat up your salary for a month or two. Like I said, I have never heard of an employer who does not either pay and/or provide you coverage under the national system. I certainly wouldn't consider it if you were not covered for catastrophic problems. If the $50 is meant to just cover general doctor visits, that would be sufficient.

As to the rest of it, since you haven't given us any hint of your education or experience, it is hard to say. If you have an MA plus significant experience, it would be a tad low, but pretty standard for Oman.

Where is this college? If it is a smaller town or village, you may also want to ask about housing. This place has been discussed before as I recall. Did you do a search of the Oman section for it?

VS
Kabina

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2005 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks VS you have been very helpful.
I was told by the recruiters that the health allowance was non-negotiable. I have decided not to accept the offer.
I have read through all the posts on the Oman forum, the internet is a tremendous resource when job-hunting in other countries. I am really keen to live in Oman (Muscat) for a few years and will keep on looking.
Thank you for your help, I really appreciate it.
Warmest regards,
Kabina
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2005 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that is probably a good decision. Have you tried applying at Sultan Qaboos University?

VS
Kabina

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2005 4:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No I haven't tried there yet but I intend to give it a go.
I have a BA but not a Masters so I didn't think I stood a chance with them. After reading through the previous posts on the forum I see that it is not always necessary so I just might be lucky.

Kabina
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2005 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Kabina,

When I was hired by SQU way back in the 1980's, an MA was required. But, they found that almost all of their applicants were Americans... and the British management didn't like that. So, in the early 90's, they removed the MA requirement and now take a BA with a recognized certificate (naturally CELTA is the preferred) and appropriate experience.

Their student numbers have expanded so much in the past few years that they are doing quite a bit of hiring. You don't lose anything by applying... Smile

Good Luck

VS
Kabina

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2005 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks VS Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Oman All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: