Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Older Newbies

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Newbie Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JDYoung

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2003 7:51 am    Post subject: Older Newbies Reply with quote

I'm a widow age 55. I took an early retirement package from my long term employer. I found retirement boring so I went back to school and got a good TEFL certificate. I've got a B.Sc. 3 year from a long time ago. I've got a good business English vocabulary and some experience in content teaching to adults. I've been busy emailing and posting resumes all over the place. I'm sure there are a lot of others in my position.
I have some questions. How much ageism is there in the ELT industry? Is it widespread or just in some cultures? Will they tell me that's why I'm not offered a job or do I guess? I'm not too particular about the country I teach in. I will do a good job for whoever employs me.

Have I chosen the wrong industry for my new career?

Thanks MK for the posting on what to take. There's a lot of good information in the responses to that posting.
ls650

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2003 7:06 pm    Post subject: Maybe... Reply with quote

I am a male in my mid-30s, also with a B.Sc. and I recently earned my TEFL certificate as well.

Since posting my resume a couple of weeks ago I've had something like 60 different schools and/or recruiters contact me. About 2/3s of those were Korean schools, but I've also had a great number of emails from China, Taiwan, and Indonesia. On the other hand, I have had next to no responses to emails I've sent out to schools in other parts of the world.

If your posting mentions you are open to working in SE Asia, I would expect you to be receiving lots of work offers.
Confused
zakiah25

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2003 4:49 am    Post subject: ageism in ELT Reply with quote

Dear JDYoung
This factor probably depends on your prospective employer and what country you wish to teach in. Some employers in Asia such as Korea and Japan seem to prefer younger people, other employers may stipulate an age requirement. But I think you "hit the nail on the head" when you mentioned that you would do a good job in any situation and if I were a prospective employer that part would be "music to my ears"!
Here in Oman, I know a lady who is still teaching at 70 and I remember reading a post about another lady teaching in China who was 65! You're still a Spring chicken!
Go for it - check the papers and the job websites and apply for what you like the sound of (but do some research on the country, culture, employer/ students/job situation and conditions before actually committing yourself).
good luck
Kent F. Kruhoeffer

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2003 6:02 am    Post subject: 'a mixed bag' Reply with quote

Dear JDYoung:

I would wholeheartedly 'second' zakiah25's comments. Some schools do prefer a pretty young face (it's true) ... and some would rather hire a sincere and devoted teacher without regard to age. The EFL world is a mixed bag.

I'm 42 now, and have never once felt that my age played a significant role in any of the positions I've ever applied for. I'm currently working with a 62 year-old retired attorney from Texas, by the way. At the school I work for, we prefer experience and wisdom over physical appearance and/or age. And there are lots of schools like that.

As zakiah25 said, it's important to read the fine print of the job-adverts carefully. Schools that are looking for the "Ken & Barbie" types usually leave subtle hints in their adverts. Sometimes they come right out and say it: "Under 35, blonde hair, blue eyes, nice figure, faith in God, carries a genuine PRADA leather handbag, blah, blah, blah ..."

At 55, with your qualifications and stated devotion to being a 'good' teacher, I have no doubt that you'll find a nice position at a nice school.

Good luck, JDYoung! (And remember, you're as JDYoung as you feel!) Very Happy

Yours,
keNt
JDYoung

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2003 7:34 pm    Post subject: Thanks. Reply with quote

Thanks everyone for your encouragement. Smile I've been busy researching as well as sending out resumes. I'm a long term volunteer at our local library. Research is one of my best skills. Boy, the ELT industry is one wild and woolly place! Wink

My late husband promised me that if I married him I'd always be YOUNG! Laughing

Excuse my enthusiasm with the emoticons. I've always wanted to try them out.
Roger

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2003 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JD,
there are quite a few Usanians in China, men and women of a mature age. I shared a flat with a retiree from America who said he could not possibly survive on his retirement payments in the USA. He stayed in teaching for about 3 years, then moved into, yes, FARMING! I do not have his latest news, but I am positive he is still in the country now (4 years on!).

However, one proviso: Certain jobs are offered to people below 50! It is in black on white, but I doubt it is set in stone.
In a lot of colleges, they are a bit tired of those Ken and Barby types and their ways!
This is especially true of males!
arioch36

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2003 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like Roger, I have known many older teachers coming to China to teach. Mostly, the schools that would discriminate against you, you wouldn't want tot each at them. Your retirement money will also go far in China.

Whether China would be your sup of tea...who knows

Chris in henan, China (for now)
leslie

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2003 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bye

Last edited by leslie on Tue Feb 16, 2010 9:09 pm; edited 2 times in total
Minhang Oz

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2003 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm mid-fifties and have worked in China for four of the last seven years. I've had no trouble getting work, and many schools prefer the maturity and stability of older teachers. Due to the low cost of living here, its easy to live very comfortably, save a large part of your salary, and the hours aren't particularly demanding. I'd recommend the big city for a first timer in our age group though- provincial towns and small cities are a lot more demanding in terms of cultural adjustments to be made, and facilities available.

PS Leslie's advice re going to a country to find work isn't a good idea in China, unless you're prepared to leave and then re-enter with your visa [expensive!], due to China's particular visa and employment laws for foreigners.
JDYoung

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2003 1:13 am    Post subject: My First Face to Face Interview Reply with quote

I have my first face-to-face interview in Vancouver next Friday for a job with Shane in Japan. I know how to dress and behave in general. I've been interviewed a lot. Anybody got any hints specifically about this employer and their interview questions?

Thanks bunches.
isabel

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2003 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of the seven new teachers hired for my university program here in Korea, six of use are over 47, and five of us are over 50. I am 54 and this is my first English teaching job (I have taught before, but not English.)

I was very worried about age, and with good reason, for some places do discriminate. The advice is good about Asia- there are jobs for us older teachers here. At least in some places. There are a lot of private institutes in Korea, and in the rest of Asia, that are looking for Barbies and Kens. You don't want to work for them anyway.
Celeste

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2003 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JD- I don't want to scare you, but here in Japan, Shane has a bad reputation amongst EFL teachers. Before you accept a job with them, you may want to check out the Japan board and the job information journal.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Newbie Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: