Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Alternatives to Anglo-Hellenic?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
maszia

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2005 2:02 pm    Post subject: Alternatives to Anglo-Hellenic? Reply with quote

Hi. My current contract ends in September and I'm starting to think of where to move on to after this. Maybe Greece, but so far the only way in seems to be via Anglo-Hellenic. Are there any alternatives? Where do they advertise? I'm a bit dubious about Anglo-Hellenic as the salary seems to be only a third of what I'm earning here in Spain. Can you really live comfortably on an Anglo-Hellenic salary in Greece? Any suggestions welcomed.
M.
niko60

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2005 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try the British, and American chambers of commerce, or the PALSO site for Greece ( do a google). Do whatever searches you have too, I strongly suggest you keep away from Anglohellenic, apart from being a dubious outfit, the pay is not even subsistence level even if you wre living in a village.
teacheringreece

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let me ask you some questions.

1. You say Anglo-Hellenic "guaranteed" to get everyone who did their course a teaching placement, but failed to do so. Was this guarantee in writing? If so, I would recommend legal action. However, I doubt they would commit to something like that in writing, in which case it is really the fault of the unfortunate but gullible individuals who took the course and trusted some verbal promise that they would be placed somewhere, but didn't think to ask for something in writing before handing over the cash.

2. In what way do you think that Anglo-Hellenic are in breach of contract with you? Have you read the contract you have with them? I doubt that it includes any obligation on their part to deal with complaints you have with the school (of the contracts of theirs that I've seen, there is never any mention of this). To my knowledge, Anglo-Hellenic do not own any schools but their own, so once they have received a fee from the school for providing you as a teacher, that's it as far as they're concerned. Do you really expect them to turn up and catch your rats? All they could really do is tell the school to improve or they won't deal with them in future, and I would imagine it's easier for them not to. I'm sorry you've had a hard time but remember that you entered into an agreement with the school as well as Anglo-Hellenic, and it was your responsibility to make sure that the conditions were as you expected.

I'm not particularly trying to stand up for Anglo-Hellenic - I haven't had particularly positive dealings with them either and I wouldn't trust what they told me if it wasn't in writing. However, as far as I know they act legally, and if teachers end up in crappy schools with crappy accommodation in crappy towns then quite frankly it's their fault for not researching properly and checking things out before accepting the position. Your current situation is not tantamount to being in prison because you willingly went there, and, presumably, can leave by handing in your notice to the school.

Have a look carefully at what I wrote in one of my previous posts which explains how the agencies in Greece work: http://www.eslcafe.com/forums/job/viewtopic.php?t=20080

If you need any particular advice then pm me and I'll try and advise you.
teacheringreece

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2005 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So they didn't have a signed, written agreement with Peter Beech saying that they would get a job. They have emails, which is something, but they paid money without a concrete guarantee. Apparently he lied, and they didn't take the necessary steps to protect themselves.

Furthermore, you personally don't have a signed, written agreement with Anglo-Hellenic saying that they will mediate if a dispute arises with a school. You have though read a vague promise, namely "We're here to help" on their website. It's certainly misleading, it's certainly unprofessional, but they're not in breach of contract with you. It was up to you to make sure that the school was OK before signing up.

I do sympathise with you, as you have obviously invested a lot of time and money and have been let down by an organisation that I myself do not hold a very high opinion of. But like I said, it's up to the individual to check the facts and protect themselves before signing something or paying for something, particulary when working abroad. It also shows that if you choose to work somewhere illegally, then you are even more at risk of being taken advantage of, because you will have no legal channels to persue your complaint.

It's very unfortunate, but wherever you go there'll always be someone trying to get your money off you.
cz

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2005 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HI everyone (my first post!)

I must say I'm somewhat surprised by some of the things that are said on here. I came to Greece three months ago - called up two of the better known frontasteria chains (they had adds in the paper) and hey presto a few days later one of them gave me a job after an "interview" that consisted of me having a quick chat with the boss and me asking a number of questions (none were asked of me)!. I did subsequently have to take another test but was given the impression that this was a formailty and in any case if you've done a CELTA it will be nothing u haven't seen before. A couple of weeks later the other one got in touch offering me work.

Did I just get lucky? I don't think so: a lot of them are keen on having a native speaker (I'm from the UK) on their staff as they believe it offers them a certain cachet over and above their competitors and it will impress the parents (i.e. the fee-payers). I don't speak Greek and had no real experience of teaching but that didn't seem to be an issue (I guess having just completed a Cambridge CELTA helped tho').

As for anglo-hellenic I went along to one of their seminars but wasn't overly impressed, in the end I decided I was better off just coming over here and finding something (not least because most of the positions AH offer are in some fairly obscure places). However, I didn't get the impression that Peter Beech is the root of all evil(!), rather a fairly bog-standard businessman out to make a buck. And in case anyone has forgotten, we DO live in a capitatlst society - this is how resources are allocated. You might not like it but that's hardly his fault!!

As for how I am treated I have to say my boss is really good, the atmosphere in my work is lovely and I suspect the kids are far better behaved than their opposites in the UK. Of course I've no way of knowing how representative this is and the wages are fairly poor (I took an 85% pay cut from my job (not teaching!) in the UK but then we're not in it for the money right?)

Sorry for the rambling but I've been reading posts for a while b4 getting signed-up to this forum. In summary the best thing to do to find work here (if u can afford it) is to come over here armed with CV's, check the papers and pound the streets. Sooner or later you will start to find hours here - just make sure u come at the right time of year (August by the sound of things) and u have some money to live off in the interim.

Teaching English in Greece can be good - come and give it a go, just don't expect human nature to be somehow different here to anywhere else. Wink

kalispera!
Boy Wonder

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2005 3:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alternatives to Anglo Hellenic....

Washer up in a restuarant
Farm worker
Bus conductor
Cleaner
Park attendant
Shoe shine boy.

You'll probably get paid more in those jobs and be treated with more respect by your employer than one of the Frontisteria schools affiliated with AH.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Greece All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: