Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Where in Asia?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Asia Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PaulC

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2003 7:18 am    Post subject: Where in Asia? Reply with quote

Where in Asia can I find:

- A job preferably teaching adults, or at least high-school age students
- A job that doesn't invlove working too long hours or split shifts, or weekends
- A job that pays reasonably well

I'm currently in South Korea, and thinking of moving out - soon!

I am drawn to Thailand, but I know that the salaries are not too great..... is it worth thinking about countries such as Indonesia, Vietnam, or any others as alternatives?

Also - I'm not really too keen to go to Japan or China.

Money isn't really the most important factor - I don't have debts to pay off..... it would be nice to save some cash, but provided I could get by and have a good standard of living, I'd be happy.

I have an MBA, but no teaching qualification... although I do have some teaching experience

Suggestions and comments welcomed
gecko

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2003 3:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might want to consider going to VietNam. I hear that the salaries are higher than Thailand, by about 30%. The only problem is there is very little real information out there and schools don't advertise much. If you want to go there it may just be a case of turning up and looking for work when you get there.

Good luck Exclamation
Glenski

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2003 5:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You want a good-paying job teaching high school age students or higher without long hours, and you don't have a lot of teaching experience or a Masters/PhD in a teaching related field? Hmmm. Let's consider Japan's options...

Private high schools are out. You have to work weekends and long evenings with extracurricular activities. Public schools no longer work weekends, but I can't vouch for the extracurriculars or pay.

Universities are out because you are not qualified (in Japan anyway).

Language schools typically work from noon to 9pm, and they cater to children and adults. Some rare places cater to adults only, but you still have the same hours, and the pay is still bottom of the barrel.

Business (Corporate) opportunities are few and far between, even though they usually earn the most money. However, you may still have to work evenings and/or weekends just because that's the name of the game when you cater to people who work all day long.

I just don't see what kind of business/school options are even remotely possible for your desires. You're going to have to lower your sights (in Japan). Maybe these reasons are why you wrote that you weren't too keen to go to Japan.
Wolf

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2003 2:14 pm    Post subject: Not Korea, Not China, Not Japan, Not Vietnam, Not Indonesia? Reply with quote

I think I understand, PaulC. Teaching adults in Korea is a 6am - 10pm or so thing with the split shifts I hear. The altenative is children, not admitedly for everyone.

Glenski gave the lowdown on Japan pretty well. The only thing more I might add is JET (which won't take anyone til next July, if I understand correctly.) Also, in Japan if you work for a converational school, it's almost guaranteed you'll work weekends.

China is on your rather long Not list. But in the PRC a postgrad degree (I assume you've got an undergrad one too) plus some expereince will get you a job. You've got good chances at uni jobs in some regions, and they'd be hiring about now for September. You'll live quite well on what you'll make here. 8000 RMB salries are more an more common. Thing is that's about US$1000, so it's all relative to what you mean by reasonably good pay.

Taiwan I noticed wasn't on your Not list. You might want to make an inquiry on their forum. Salries OK, but it sounds like a mixed bag of hammers over there.

Don't get me wrong, I sympathize - I was asking myself a very similar question last year. Realistically, you might need to comprimize somewhere.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Asia Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: