Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Again ? Creative Youths Academy

View previous topic :: View next topic  
susu

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2005 3:58 am    Post subject: Again ? Creative Youths Academy Reply with quote

Like Laura, I have been emailing with Creative Youths Academy. Am supposed to call them in a.m. and have a phone number. Any comments?
niko60

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2005 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Susu,
Have you read my comments to Laura? Be careful! If you can send me their phone number, I'd love to have a chat with whoever is running this scam.
laura1d

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2005 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Laura here.

After my initial bad feelings, coupled with Niko's comments that he was unable to locate this academy at the address given I have backed off totally. I did not reply to their email and heard nothing more.

Please be very careful when you call them - get as much information as you can and post it on here so someone in Greece can check it out if they have time (maybe Niko would be so kind?).

You are probably totally aware of scams and I don't want to teach you to suck eggs BUT.... Don't agree to give any money to them for any reason. There is no real reason you would have to shell out anything at all to 'get' a job.

All that said.. good luck!
I would be really interested in what happens so if you have time please let us all know.

Thanks
Laura
susu

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2005 2:08 pm    Post subject: Have phone number Reply with quote

Hi Laura and Niko,
Thanks so much for your replies. Do not feel so alone anymore. Have been in email communication with Joseph Shumiak(?sp. much check), sent him all documents (no money nor did he ask for any yet). After he received all documents, he asked me to call Dr. Fredich Bremer, Director General of the School, phone # 30-6946810833. I called him at 9 a.m. Eastern (Toronto, Canada) and as well as not being able to understand him very well, he's sounding slurry and sluggish. Told him I could not understand him very well and would try to call back. Could anyone else please try as I am fairly upset????

Thanks so much you guys and hopefully, this Doctor name and phone will reveal what we all need to know. Happy trails.

Sue
laura1d

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2005 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Sue
Doesn't sound good eh. Don't be upset - at least you were prepared for this to go pear shaped. There are loads of jobs out there - just keep looking and don't be disheartened.

Niko,

Would you be able to ring this guy and see what the hell is going on with this outfit? If you can't then I will. My only problem is that at the moment I live and work in Thailand and it would cost me a bit to ring Greece. That said, I will if you can't for some reason.
Let me know.

Laura
niko60

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2005 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear ladies ( Laura, and Sue),
I just got off the phone with some one who sounded decidedly African, I asked for Dr Frederick whatever, and Africa started getting defensive, I told them that I was interested in a job etc.etc., and was told that they only hire females, when I asked why Africa started claiming that he could'nt hear me ( it's a cell number by the way), first alarm bell. I then told him that I had passed by the address but could not locate them, if he could please give me directions, and that did it, where did you get this info? so on, and so on. He finally claimed he couldn't hear me and hung up, when I called back he had turned his phone off. This whole thing stinks from the get go, no verifiable address!, a cell phone, a yahoo email!, no web site, and finally what I've forgotten to tell you both, is that no language school I've ever heard of in Greece pays any where near that kind of money. As the saying goes " if it sounds too good to be true..... it probably is". Either way I still have another week before I go back to the KSA, and I'm definitely going to give this info to the Ministry of education/ fraud division so they can check it out. It sounds more like these guys are trying to do something alot "dodgier" than hire female only EFL teachers, I mean I can appreciate a good,smart scam, but this one is so blatantly idiotic they deserve to get busted. Well ladies, that's it for now I'll let you know what I've done after I've done it. Be well, and be careful.

Niko
susu

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2005 10:26 pm    Post subject: gotta blast this scammer Reply with quote

Hi Laura and Niko,

You guys and gals are great. Sure appreciate your help. I have not tried back yet. I'm wondering if I should try emailing Shumaik again and giving him a piece of my mind. Is it truly a scam? Am I being too hopeful? Was there a reason for hiring females only? Or could Africa not hear that part of the conversation? Will check back and/or reply back for any follow up info. Thanks again.

Undisenheartened
susu
niko60

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2005 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Sue,
First of all it's unheard of for a potential employee to be making the phone calls to be interviewed. Can you tell me where you heard of these bums so I can also give that info when I report this. I know laura said she found them on Idealist.org, when I checked there was nothing. I woudn't lose sleep over this there are alot of swindlers out there, but at least this time I think we can send this one packing. Be good.

Niko.
laura1d

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2005 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, Laura here,

I found it on Idealist - on the email they sent (Jan 27th) this was the link I followed:

English ,French and computer teachers wanted
creative youths international academy
Athens, Greece
Salary: 1150 Euro
http://www.idealist.org/en/jobs/123959:167/131291:119

The link no longer works though...

Susu, We live and learn eh!

Niko, You have been great to help with this - thanks!!!!

Laura
vre

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have all been a really good help to each other. If I were still living in Greece, I would definitely report them and get some other folk involved and would probably also give them a piece of my mind too. Maybe I should inform all of my school owner friends (but then it wouldn't do much good in Thessaly would it?

Well done to you Sherlocks. Wink
susu

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 12:04 am    Post subject: Creative Youths Academy Reply with quote

Hi all, susu here,

thanks to laura and niko, we may be able to ax these goofs. I did reply to exactly the same ad as laura mentioned because I was concerned about the french portion.
niko, i did email idealist.org re: i thought these guys were a scam; however, now they want to know why i think it's a scam. have been away for a few days so have not replied. i'm sure you (niko) have already zoomed past me in this communication with idealist.org. can you let me know if i should contact them again or do you have any news. looking forward to shutting these guys out.

be healthy and have fun
susu
niko60

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello again everybody,
I posted a message yesterday, but for some reson it didn't get posted, so I'll breeze through my actions again. I went to the Ministry, and they were very helpful, and interested in this case, because from what I understand there is quite a big problem recently with illegal schools. They also showed me a list of other scams, which I will post as soon as I get it scanned. If anyone has heard of any of them, get it out. I also contacted the British and American Institutes and gave them a heads up, which they also appreciated, and assured me that they would put it in their news bulletin. And finally I contacted an old classmate of mine who works for the Athens News (English paper), who will pass the word to his counter parts to be on the look out if these guys try to place an AD. I'm confident that the Ministry will pursue this diligently, and we have effectively put these puppies to bed.

Sue, as far as Idealist is concerned just tell them to log on to this site, and read our correspondence, or explain it to them if you wish.

Be well eveyone, and keep in touch.

Regards.

Niko.
susu

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 4:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey All, Susu here

I emailed Joseph Shumiak and said that I was very disappointed in what I thought to be this scam. I also stated that it's a really awful thing to screw with people's life plans and I sincerely hope that they get busted for this. I will forward my emails to Idealist and give them the link directly to this Greece forum. Doin it now. Hope to hear from you guys again and good luck with your scanning and sending other scams niko!! Will be watching for this. I don't always have time to go into all forums. Will you be posting it as a new topic in Greece; if not, let me know through this page where you will post same. I'm with you...let's nab these idiodles. Take care all. Be back.

susu
pirateinpanama

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 7:30 pm    Post subject: Scam Reply with quote

great work people! Perhaps you two as partners in a private investigation firm may be more lucrative than TEFL.
Now that the scammers have been exposed (only female teachers indeed!), the scumbags are probably sitting over an ouzo bottle and plotting their next move.
susu

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 4:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey all, Susu here

Good idea pirateinpanama!!! Niko? Laura? Pirate? Anyone interested in a PI firm??? Sent links for this page and Laura's previous page about Creative Youths Academy to Idealist.org. Also sent them a copy of most of my pertinent emails with Joseph Shumiak. Idealist has read all of this, thanked us, and taken the hoodlums off of their client list. Funny too, that Joseph and Africa never sent back the paperwork to Idealist that they were supposed to for authenticity. Guess they really are the shlepps that we knew they were. Niko, I believe you will have Idealist backing for whatever complaints or postings you make. [email protected] who is Content Manager is the contact who sent me the email. Hope this helps!! Let me know about PIing.

come back now, susu
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Greece All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: