Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

is it hard to get ESL jobs in Buenos Aires?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Argentina
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tishtosh

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 10:57 am    Post subject: is it hard to get ESL jobs in Buenos Aires? Reply with quote

Hi
My husband and I are planning to come to BsAs to do a TEFL course in August and then get teaching jobs in the city. I've been reading the posts on this forum, and looking at other travel forums about Argentina. On one site I saw posts saying that there were 1000s of English teachers in Buenos Aires looking for jobs, and that there wasn't enough work. Is that true?
Thanks
Maria Kirby

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what I've heard a lot of English speakers just show up in BA and expect to get work. No previous experience and no qualifications. These type of people will find it hard to get work.

Like most other places, again from what I've heard, BA is starting to get more choosy about who gets hired so a lot of the aforementioned "English Teachers" (no qualifications or experience) are finding it harder to find a job.

From what I've read in the press, Argentina seems to be out of its crisis and things are picking up. A friend of mine was on holiday there about a month ago told me it seemed fine and that language schools were advertising for teachers. I'm planning to go to BA this autumn via the TEFL school (EBC) I got certified with. I can't wait.

I took my certificate in Madrid and I've been working there since I finished the course. It's been great but, my feet have started to itch again so my next stop is Buenos Aires.
tishtosh

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. We're actually thinking of doing our Tefl course with EBC in BA. What are they like? How was the course and did they help you get a job? Have they helped you find work in BA?
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've heard good things about EBC, try doing a search, I think that there is a lot of info on the Spain forum.
Guy Courchesne

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
On one site I saw posts saying that there were 1000s of English teachers in Buenos Aires looking for jobs, and that there wasn't enough work

1000s sounds greatly exaggerated. BA is big, but not that big. Then again, if true, then 1000s of teachers looking for jobs would make it hard to find work what with that much competition.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Maria Kirby

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the moment, I can say only good things about my job search experiences in Madrid, so I�m afraid I will have to hold off on your question about Buenos Aires. But I have contacted the school and the job help they give works like how it does in Madrid, them putting their graduates in contact with lots of "academias" but at the end of it , I know it�s up to me to make sure I get the job. Sort of like them opening the doors but I make sure I get the job. Good luck.
marg

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 5:39 pm    Post subject: Jobs: BA 2005 Reply with quote

I've been living in Buenos Aires for 4 years now and in the past I had no difficulty finding work. However, this year I've been having trouble... mostly because there are hardly any ads in the papers this time around and because the ads that do exist are looking for national English teachers. I think the reason for that may be that national teachers charge less than natives, or that the jobs posted are usually posted by schools that normally request a national degree of some sort, but that's just a theory. I'm a bit discouraged, but then again i've been told that it may be a little early in the year (although last year I was working by the second week in March) to find something good.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Argentina All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: