Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Apply For Visa From Home - WHY???

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Howard Roark

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2003 4:07 pm    Post subject: Apply For Visa From Home - WHY??? Reply with quote

as far as i know, a work visa for turkey must be aquired from one's home country. in my mind this creates a lot of unnecessary hassles. i just don't see how this is absolutely necessary. i mean, this makes it almost impossible to check out a school in person before taking a job there (maybe that's the idea). most of us can't afford to go flying back and forth to north america, or wherever you may be from. does anyone know if there exists a good reason for this rule?
gelin

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2003 8:14 pm    Post subject: Think about it Reply with quote

Now, if a Turk decides he wants to come to the States and look for a job, just show up and find one, will the U.S. let him? Can he get a visa at the airport, like Americans can in Turkey? For a Turk to get a visa to come to the States, he has to pay $16 to a bank, get a PIN number to even get an appointment with the Consulate, apply for a visa and hope that someone will let him come. If he is late for the appointment, even by a little, he will forfeit his $16. Now, what is fair?
scot47

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2003 5:34 am    Post subject: Fairness Reply with quote

What is fairness ? And who imagines that a bureacracy has to be fair in its dealings with mortals ?

Really, some people have the most extraordinary ideas !
rogan

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2003 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The world outside the USA doesn't operate in order that US citizens can do whatever they want to do.

Most countries operate reciprical agreements.
That means "The USA makes things difficult for our citizens so we'll make similar situations for US citizens.

Get YOUR country to change its operating procedures and the 'forign' countries will do the same.

For eg Russia and the EU are withdrawing visa requirements in 2007 so citizens of Russia and the EU will be able to travel more easily between the two.

I wonder if Bush will announce a similar agreement when he meets Prseident Putin this week.
Albulbul

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2003 10:37 am    Post subject: The Arrogance of Power Reply with quote

Rogan has hit the nail on the head. Many people from the US assume that the world should be ordered for their convenience. When they discover that it is not they throw a temper tantrum.

A similar warped outlook affected many from the shores of Britain when that country was the Number One Imperial Power.
Mike_2003

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2003 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the OP's question has been misunderstood here.

This rule is general. Wherever you come from you must apply for a Turkish work visa in your home country, not just for US citizens (did the OP even say she was from the US?), so it not about reciprocal policies as it is with the visa fee. For example, you can apply for a UK work permit in "your place of residence or citizenship" meaning you don't have to return to your home country to apply, you can just go to your local UK Embassy. A UK citizen applying for a Turkish work permit now MUST do it from the UK even if they are living in Australia, which involves a lot more time and expense. I think the OP was wondering why this rule has come about (it didn't used to be so).

Regards,

Mike
gelin

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2003 3:03 pm    Post subject: You may be right Reply with quote

You may be right that the question was misconstrued. I've know far too many people, however, who think that the rules should be in their favor. It did used to be that you could get a work-permit in Turkey even if you came in on a tourist visa. I got one that way years ago. And at that time the laws were the same as they are now; they just didn't enforce them. It also used to be that you could get a two-year residence/work permit, but they've done away with them just recently.
Mike_2003

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2003 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Gelin,

What are the new rules about residence permits? Luckily I renewed mine recently and it is valid until 2006, but I'm curious about the changes you mentioned.

I understand your point about people wanting laws to be in their favour, but how does this new policy regarding work permit application actually favour anybody? What do the Turkish government gain by forcing people to travel to their home country to put an application in? I can't think it'll make much difference to anyone except the poor souls who'll have to spend their savings travelling around the world in order to submit the same piece of paper to the same ministries. Any idea what the thinking is behind it?

Regards,

Mike
gelin

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2003 4:40 pm    Post subject: Actually not a new policy -- just enforcing the old one Reply with quote

Hi Mike. You say you got your residence permit extended until 2006. Are you married to a Turk? Are you employed? From what I hear, no one is being issued a work permit (which includes residence, too) for more than one year anymore if you are married to a Turk or not. If you don't work, however, you can get a 5-year residence permit only, but it doesn't allow you to work.

I guess I just get mad when I see how the Turks have to jump hoops to go anywhere abroad and then the foreigners who come here and complain about the "problems" they have. I've been on Lufthansa flights from Turkey to Germany and seen how the Germans treat the Turks on the flight, coming through the cabin and looking at passports -- reminded me of what the Nazis were probably like. To get those visas the Turks had to go to the embassy in the wee hours of the morning several times, had to have inordinate amounts of documentation, etc., etc. It's pretty sickening. I'm just thankul that I haven't been subjected to the horrors travelling Turks have been by virtue of my passport.
Mike_2003

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2003 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Gelin,

Yes, I am married to a Turk. We got married in 1999 and I received a three-year residence permit, with I extended until 2006 last year. I could quite get the full five years because my UK passport expires in 2006 so I could only get four years and a handful of months.

I can't get a work permit because I don't have a degree (only CELTA) so I make my money giving private lessons. It's either that or sit around doing nothing except living off my wife's paltry income and hoping for a change in the law. I'm hoping to get onto a degree course at Istanbul Uni in the future.

As it goes, I really enjoy giving private lessons and, despite not having a degree, I guess I'm reasonably good at it. Many of my students stay with me for years and I receive frequent recommendations.

Best wishes,

Mike.
gelin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2003 1:34 pm    Post subject: Work/Residence Permits Reply with quote

Well, that answers my question. If you were to work, you would have to get an employment permit, but I'm not sure if they would let you get one here or not. I have a feeling you would have an easier time in that regard. I would advise you NOT to acquire Turkish citizenship if you want to work as a teacher here. Your benefits will be even less than you would get now by virtue of the fact that you are married to a Turk. It's really crazy in that way.
Howard Roark

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2003 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

why would you advise not obtaining turkish citizenship to someone wanting to work as a teacher?
gelin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2003 1:03 pm    Post subject: Why not be a Turkish citizenship? I'll tell you why. Reply with quote

You would think that schools would be happy to have foreign teachers obtain Turkish citizenship so paperwork, etc., can be avoided (like residence/working permits), but from the two schools and others that I know of in Turkey, once you become a Turkish citizen, you lose some of the benefits you get as a "foreign" hire. If you are Turkish, you automatically are considered "local" hire. Even if you aren't Turkish, but you are married to a Turk, you are "local" hire, which means you don't get home leave, housing allowance or moving expenses. That's a major chunk of change. I don't really know the reasons why, but that's the way it is.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Turkey All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: