Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Filing taxes and working illegally

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Newbie Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2003 3:24 am    Post subject: Filing taxes and working illegally Reply with quote

I'm thinking about working in Europe or Central America. I'm American, so getting a work visa might be difficult, especially in Europe.
I have a question about taxes. It’s probably a stupid question, but if you work illegally, should you still file US taxes?
I would think that the US government could care less if you worked illegally overseas and is more concerned about whether or not you file income tax.
Is this correct thinking on my part? I don't want to break anymore laws than necessary.
Thanks!
johnslat

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2003 4:24 am    Post subject: A taxing question Reply with quote

Dear naturegirl321,
I'm not sure either - and how the heck would you find out? I don't think the IRS web site would have " paying taxes while working illegally " on its list of FAQs. But I'd say - file. Always file. Better safe than sorry, and I doubt the IRS cares where the money comes from ( Al Capone found that out the hard way ).
Regards,
John

Last edited by johnslat on Sun Jun 01, 2003 2:01 am; edited 1 time in total
xnihil

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2003 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.ksrevenue.org/faqs-abcdrugtax.htm

Check out Kansas taxing drug pushers.

As they say, only two things are inevitable, death and taxes, and we're working on death.
bnix

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2003 12:07 am    Post subject: Don't Mess with the Mafia or the IRS.... Reply with quote

The IRS could care less if you work illegally overseas(that is a civil matter).Of course,if you committed a murder or something overseas(felony)...it would be a completely different story.

Yes,you have to report income,whether it is legal or illegal...whether it is earned in the US or elsewhere.However,there are provisions whereby you can be exempt from paying taxes( they failed to push through something nullifying this recently)

But,even if you do not have sufficient income to report($7,700 annual for a single person under 65 working abroad)...it is a good idea to file anyway.Just in case.Then if they ever run an audit on you in the future and ask you what you were doing in 2003,you can honestly tell them,and pull out your copy of the return for 2003.Note:Of course,the only people meeting the $7700 figure are people working in places like eastern Europe or some places in Latin America.
Hint:If you have someone do your taxes,get a good accountant.Do not leave it to someone like H and R Block.They do not have the expertise to do overseas income....and they hire a lot of temps...especially around tax time.

Johnslat is right about "Big Al" of course.Thought he could beat the IRS..
MindTraveller

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2003 4:34 pm    Post subject: The Romance of Europe - Castles in the Air Reply with quote

Re taxes: you never have to tell the WHOLE truth. And if you work illegally, and there's no paperwork, you can say anything on your 2555 form. BUT do file. If you make over $80,000, you might want to be careful of what you report.... but if you're like most of us in teaching, you won't be making over $80,000 - especially in Europe.

Working in Europe is more romantic than practical. I worked legally in France with my Irish passport. Talk about taxes! Paperwork! Etc. It's much better to study in Europe - as I did with intensive French classes, 40 hours a week for a month - than to work there.

I know, I know.... doesn't sound nice, but I wish I used my $20,000 exploring my dream of living in France on something much more useful. I just wasted my money on a dream. It would have been better to still have the dream.... and the $20,000.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Newbie Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: