Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Family of 5 wanting to teach in Greece
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
alexis

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 4:55 am    Post subject: Family of 5 wanting to teach in Greece Reply with quote

My husband and I have our three children with us. We have been in China teaching English since August and would like to try teaching in Greece when our contracts expire in June. We like China in general but we are very frustrated because teaching English here is a joke and no one cares 2 cents what you do. We teach in a primary school and have thought about changing over to a public Univeristy or College but we hear that these are just as bad. We currently hold B.A.'s and TEFL's. We are both enrolling with our University back in the States to complete our Master's. My B.A. is in Business and I do not which would make me more marketable a Master's in Business or one in Education. We have also thought of getting our TESOL in hopes this might help us land jobs in Europe. Can anyone give us suggestions on how to approach this?
niko60

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know what you're personal finances are, but I can say that you would be hard pressed to support yourselves and 3 children on even the best teacher salaries in Greece, which would be around $750- $1200 at best per month. As far as an MA degree is concerned, it's a matter of opinion, and reality. Generally, in Europe it is prestigious to have, but will not bring you much more, money wise. In the Middle East it will bring on a hell of alot more money, but if you think your students, and schools in China were bad? wait till you try the M.E. As I said before, I don't know your financial, or mental status. But isn't it a bit difficult doing the EFL thing with 3 kids? What about schooling, social adjustment, etc,etc?
In any case research well before you make a move, it's all relevant to what you want, and can do.
I spent 6mos in Asheville in 1985, great place!
Best of luck.

Niko.
alexis

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 1:07 pm    Post subject: reply Reply with quote

Our salaries in China are not so great but if we try we can usually make it without having to draw too much from savings every month. Our kids are teenagers and we are actually all liking it here in general. We just would like to try a different country after two years. We are not quite sure where to go but we do know that we do not want to stay in Asia. Will it be impossible for us to get decent jobs in Greece with US passports? Are their recruiters we can call upon?
niko60

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The cost of living in Greece, and especially Athens is comparable to the rest of Europe without having the same salaries. English language schools for your children are prohibitively expensive, rent for even the most basic space you would need would cost you 40-60% of your pay, and for 9 out of 10 positions, ( if not all) you must have an EU passport. I hate to discourage you, because Greece is a truly beautiful place to be, but given your circumstances you are going to have a hard time anywhere in Europe. As far as recruitment agencies, I suggest you do a google, and get in touch with the American/Hellenic Institute. They may have some ideas. There is also the American community school of Athens, which hires U.S. nationals, but from what I understand their hiring criteria is pretty high i.e. MA+ 10-15yrs. Whatever you do avoid AngloHellenic recruitment (see comments in this forum). Have you thought about the Balkans? Poland? maybe Russia? I hear the money is not that bad, and goes alot further than in Europe. Be well.

Niko.
alexis

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 11:11 pm    Post subject: reply Reply with quote

I will get in touch with this one recruiter you named. Have you heard any good things concerning Turkey? Since it's not part of the EU yet maybe it would be easier and maybe it would be nice if we located close to a coast somewhere. Any ideas?
niko60

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Turkey is a good option, from what I know the pay is about the same as Greece, but cost of living is much cheaper. By all means give it a shot Turkey is a nice place, especially the coastal areas, Smyrna, Bodrum, Kusadesi, etc.

Niko
dmb

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Strolled over from the Turkey forum. Niko, Smyrna is now called Izmir. And you are right it is a pleasant city, although very hot in the summer.
niko60

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It depends on what history you prefer to believe. Smyrna was the name for along time before Attaturk changed it to Izmir, just as Istanbul is to Constantinople.
venusss2

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also , not trying to start something but they still resemble greek names

Izmir - the smyrni
instanbul - iin the city

true to Nikos words , depends on what history you are looking at
dmb

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess you are right. It also depends on which country you are in. I haven't heard of any inhabitants of Izmir say are from Smyrna
venusss2

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends again on who you are talking to .
For example - my grandmother is from Trapezounda - now called Trapezon.

If you talk to Greeks from Minor Asia then they will refer to the cities as they knew them back in those days- by their Greek names .

and ofcourse if you talk toTurks - they will give you the Turkish version
niko60

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well said Venuss....... I applaud your knowledge, and understanding of the Greek involvement in the history of Asia minor, which to this day is the only reason that " Eis Tyn Pol" ( Istanbul, in the city) maintains any semblance of culture, and civilisation. In all fairness, I do not deny Attaturk's contribution to the modernization, and development of the country, but unfortunately historical animosity has condemned the two countries to wage war against each other about twice a century, ( we are due for one soon). As my Grandmother told me " it cleans the bad blood Niko" Be well.

N.
venusss2

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you N.
Well, being a Greek/Canadian and intrenched in the Greek culture and history here in Toronto - I think I should know something .
My grandmother had a couple of interesting sayings aswell, Nothing though to elaborate on this PG13 ESL Board .

Talk about knowlege, My TESL Teacher actually one day looked at me and asked me if Aristotle was Greek ?????

Turkey is trying to get into the EU , hence they will be on their best behavior - animosity will always exist
dmb

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everyone talks about anımosıty. But to be honest I don't know a single Turk who hates the Greeks. The past is in the past and there it should stay. Turkey and Greece should put the past behind them and work together as friends and neighbours. There are more similarities than differences. (No I don't have a solution for Cyprus)
teacheringreece

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to say that I've met plenty of Turks who hate Greeks, and plenty of Greeks who hate Turks. Needless to say none had ever met any of the people they claimed to hate, and I have met plenty of Greeks and Turks who don't share these ill-feelings.

I heard something recently from a Turk that I hadn't considered before - that the animosity about fighting for freedom and against oppression goes both ways. What I mean is that the Greek view is that Greece had to fight the Turks for independence, after they were invaded and occupied. The Turks on the other hand say that of all the countries that became independent of the Ottoman Empire, only Greece actually invaded the Turkish Asia-Minor heartland - remember that the Greeks almost got to Ankara. They talk, as the Greeks do, of fighting for the very existance of their country.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Greece All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: