Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

tefl course in egypt

View previous topic :: View next topic  
rainyseattle

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 2:22 am    Post subject: tefl course in egypt Reply with quote

my husband and i are getting ready to do tefl and i have some questions for anybody who has taken the egypt course.

1. are we likely to get really sick? i have heard horror stories about egypt being very dirty and full of disease, is this true?

2. will my husband and i be able to share a room during the training course or will we have seperate rooms?

3. any other general comments on this course?
Sekhmet

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey,

2. Yes. If you're married it's no problem.

Please see my PM for the rest of the general stuff!
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rainyseattle,

Sekhmet will give you lots of direct information, but I want to add a few things in relation to your post.

Since you seem to know little about Egypt or the Middle East, I recommend that you do some reading before you go - both about Islam and about living in Egypt. (Wherever did you get such an idea that a married couple couldn't share a room?)

Egypt is a 'third world' country with all the attendant problems. Most of us who go there have to go through a bout of stomach upset because the body must adjust to new bugs. (many people who come to the US have the same problem) You don't need any shots except for those that any traveler to any country should get - which are tetanus and Hepatitis. Take along some Immodium and Peptobismol - and you will be fine. Smile

To stay healthy, all most people have to do is use common sense. Don't drink the water unless it is well boiled. Use bottled water, it is cheap and plentiful. Avoid street food. Avoid uncooked veggies - unless you have taken it home and cleaned it yourself. Get the fellow students and western teachers to give you advise.

Most of us have a great time in Egypt and love it. Have a great time.

VS
Sekhmet

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey VS,
Actually, the water up here in Alex seems to be perfectly fine... I've been drinking it for a year, and haven't had any problems. Maybe it's the proximity to the sea? But obviously, if in doubt, use bottles - you can find little shops pretty much every 5 metres, and it's very cheap.

As VS said, with food, use your sense. It's not necessarily a bad thing to eat the street food, but I certainly wouldn't recommend just grabbing a fuul sandwich from a cart - other things, such as sweet potatoes, are normally fine. Just use your judgment!

In terms of the married couples in rooms situation, in some hotels (normally at the cheap end) you might even be required to show a marriage certificate as proof, but that normally only affects Egyptians. We westerners don't pay special high rates for nothing, you know?!

I have no idea about Cairo - I try to avoid the place somewhat!! But Egypt is a wonderful place to live. It has some of the typical problems you might expect with any other city, but it's certainly no worse than London (and its crime rate is considerably lower...)

Hope that helps some!!

Sekhmet
rainyseattle

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for your replys to my questions. we are both very excited to go to egypt, but a little nervous at the same time. i suppose that it is normal to feel nervous about going some place you have never been before. the reason that i ask about sharing a room is referring to the tefl course. i wasn't sure if they would be able to provide us with a bigger room (ie not a twin size bed) although i am not sure what they normally provide. and if so, would the course be cheaper if we only needed one room?
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 1:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rainyseattle,

I'm sure you'll have a great time. Just be sure to take your patience and sense of humor... it is a new world. I doubt that anyone other than the school that you are attending can tell you about their housing situation. (which is why it confused both Sekhmet and me Smile ) They may not have many married couples and haven't really thought about it yet!!

I still stand by my 'don't drink the water' advice, in spite of Sekhmet's iron stomach. Cool Or at least introduce it gradually. Unless Alex has a new water treatment plant in the last few years, when I was living in Egypt, Alex was famous for having worse water than Cairo (but much cleaner air).

Enjoy yourselves!!

VS
Sekhmet

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RainySeattle,
Sorry, can't help you with the accommodation for the course thing... I know that when I was there the apartments didn't have any double beds, but there seemed to be 2 twin beds in each room. The apartments were divided into 2 or three rooms, so I guess you might have to share the apartment with someone else - it all seems to depend on when you go!!

Contact the guys at the school - they're very nice and accommodating, so they should be able to sort something out for you.

Have fun, it's a wonderful city and I'm sure you'll love it!

VS, yeah that's a good point - I have a strange family, so I've pretty much got used to eating and drinking peculiar things!!! Very Happy Granted, I tend to use tap water for cooking and brushing my teeth mainly - it's pretty highly chlorinated so it doesn't really taste too good! Anyway, the cost of living is really cheap, so buying bottled water isn't a problem.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Egypt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: