Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Santiago vs. Buenos Aires?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Argentina
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vivaBarca

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2005 6:21 pm    Post subject: Santiago vs. Buenos Aires? Reply with quote

I have to admit, this title is a bit of a misnomer. While I am still SORT of debating between teaching in these two cities, I would say in reality, I'm pretty damn set on Buenos Aires. Factors such as as lower cost of living, larger city, less pollution, better feedback, etc. have contributed to this decision in large part. So, here is my real inquiry, and I would be very grateful for any type of feedback that could be provided to me...

I am graduating college in two months, and hope to move to (likely) Buenos Aires by the end of this summer and start teaching. What should my gameplan be like? I'm pretty much in the dark here...One of my cousins just picked up and went to South America with barely any money last year - and stayed there for 9 months - but I don't think I'm that intrepid. I understand the nature of this type of work is very independent and pretty unstructured, but I would like to have a general sort of "road map" just to sort of outline the process of moving, working, etc. Is it worth it to enroll in a teacher certification program in BA like EBC? It seems like the feedback for that program has been generally very good. Or, should I just try to find work when I am in BA? I guess I could get a hotel or hostel for a week, just to store my stuff while I am looking for work, and then after I find employment get an apartment...but my spanish isn't incredible (although its not awful either). Basically, I'm just plain confused, and I was sincerely hoping that some of you guys could help me out with some tips or guidelines, seeing as that many of you have done this before or are currently living in BA. Thanks alot!

-Adam
Weona

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2005 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your title is a little misleading seeing as you are already set on Buenos Aires. But in any case, I don't live in BA nor have I lived in Argentina but I do live in the southern cone and I do teach so what I can suggest you do is for sure get certified! Whether that is in BA or your home city, it definitely helps. Places like BA probably wouldn't hire someone off the street simply because they have a Bachelors degree and speak English natively. I'm sure it has happened before but the places that pay the best (haven't heard of great pay in BA) and are well credited look for experience and certification. You're taking a risk here but risks can often be exciting and from what I've been told and read and seen, BA seems like an awesome city! Good luck and keep reading the boards because there are a lot more people more knowledgable about the city and its current state than I am. Just thought I'd throw in my two cents. Wink
Marcethebest

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2005 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello!!! Very Happy
Well, ... I don�t live in Buenos Aires, but I live in Argentina in a city called Santa Fe. I am argentine so I think I can give you some help if you want.
So, Vivabarca, if there�s something I can do for you, just contact me.
Good luck!!! Wink
vivaBarca

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2005 5:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey guys, thanks for the feedback. At this stage I'm just trying to learn as much as I can! BA sounds incredible, especially from reading all of these posts. What is a CV? I constantly read about people passing them out...is this a resume?
Also, I'm considering taking an on-line TEFL certification program, is this a waste of money (in that if I'm going to spend the time and money to get certified I might as well do the 4-week intensive ones in Buenos Aires like EBC) or should it help my prospects? Any advice, or just general comments about BA would, as always, be much appreciated.

-Adam
eo-nomine

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2005 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CV is short for Curriculum Vitae. It is indeed a resume. I would advise against the online TEFL certification things, as you don't get any real teaching practice with those. With certification programs like the CELTA (or, I believe, what they offer at EBC), you do get real teaching practice.

I don't know how much they will help you find a job. I've done a few job interviews here already, and most of my interviewers didn't know what the CELTA was. I don't think they even cared much, and I never had to show even a photocopy of the certificate.
vivaBarca

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2005 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the only reason I am concerned about getting certified is because, honestly, I haven't the slightest clue what to even do when the time comes for me to stand in front of a "class!" Do i discuss verb conjugations, adjectives, or maybe I talk about the past tense...I'm really in the dark here. How do people with no experience whatsoever work out a program that people actually benefit from? Perhaps many of these places who want English instructions don't care for anything structured, they just want someone to talk to in English?
Phil_b

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you`ve got no experience at all... I would do a certificate, more for yourself than in terms of getting a job - you might pick up work without it, but you'll be a lot more confident if you have it and it gives you something else to talk about in interviews and to put on your CV/resume.

As far as which to do - CELTA doesn`t seem to be that well known here, just make sure that it's is a decent course that has a practical teaching element... I know for sure that there are weekend courses in the UK, probably in other places as well - but for your �200 you don't learn much that you can't read in a book - steer clear is my advice.
eo-nomine

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First off, you generally don't have to work out a program. Many schools work with a coursebook, which means that the big decisions are made for you: you have a theme to explore, a new tense is introduced, certain idiomatic expressions are presented, etc. Of course, you can always decide not to work much on a certain aspect of the lesson because you feel your students have enough practice with it, but you can always follow the book step by step - the safer approach.

TEFL courses with teaching practice will most certainly improve your confidence in the classroom. They will give you a few techniques for things like correcting, eliciting, etc. which will help you look like you know what you're doing. But only experience will make an... experienced teacher out of you.
vivaBarca

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the great feedback guys, I'll def. take all of that into consideration. I think right now I'm leaning towards just showing up and trying to get a job on my own, and if I can't get one within a few weeks I'll sign up for the EBC course. It seems great just a little pricey.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Argentina All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: