Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Why didn't I get an interview with JET?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
quebec

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2003 9:59 pm    Post subject: Why didn't I get an interview with JET? Reply with quote

I applied for the JET program and was denied an interview. It came to me as a bit of a shock because I didn't know the program was so competive. My question is to all of you who were asked for one, what is your background? Do you have ESL training? Do you speak Japanese? I have neither an ESL or Japanese language background and wonder if that made any difference.

ps....congratulations to those who were picked. Good Luck!
Celeste

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2003 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am already on the JET programme, and from what I can see in my city, there are a few different categories that the current ALT's fall under. Some are experienced EFL teachers, some studied Japanese language or Asian studies in university, and some are of Japanese descent. Really, everyone here seems to have some connection with Japan or the field of EFL. This is not the same in every city, but mine is one of the popularly requested ones(F u k u o k a).
thinkjedi

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2003 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sorry to hear that you didn't get the interview. I didn't know it was that competitive until after I applied. From what I know, they assign points for many of the questions they ask on the form.

I got an interview and my background was 10 years teaching computer topics (software, operating systems, etc) in a corporate setting. No experience with teaching children, and certainly not ESL. Additionally, I took 1 year of Japanese (and am in my 3rd semester), so I'm sure that played a part in it.

I've also lived in Germany for 6 years and I would imagine that years lived abroad (in Asia or not) count as points.

David
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Japan All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: