Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Medical and Dental care in Thailand

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Thailand
View previous topic :: View next topic  
isabel

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2003 10:18 am    Post subject: Medical and Dental care in Thailand Reply with quote

Some of my fellow teachers and I are interested in going to Thailand, from South Korea, for dental work, and maybe laser eye surgery.

Has anyone had any experience with either of these? I am looking for specific advice regarding location, cost, and most of all, quality.

Thanks for any help.
hagakuri

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2003 5:14 pm    Post subject: Thailand is not medically advanced Reply with quote

Hello,

Please remember in making your decision that Thailand, although modernized in some aspects, still remains a third world country. There are great attempts to `appear` on the same level as the rest of the world. But this is in appearance only. It is not representative of quality. Not only is this theory applied to the numerous fake things that can be purchased in Thailand... but to the superfical extent of quality in Thailand.

Many things are not available, medically, in Thailand. One area that is obvious is the medical technology arena. A typical Thailand hospital, not an international one, has equipment that the West would of had in the early 1980s.

Going to Thailand for dentistry is a 50/50 call. This is dependent on the degree of work that you need to have done. If it is more severe then you should have it done in Korea. You could consider Japan... but I think there are significant barriers for the average person to do this. The cost of dentistry in Japan is Very inexpensive.

DO NOT go to Thailand for eye surgery. I had a double LASIK done some years ago in the States. I know first hand all the sophisticated equipment that is needed to do this operation correctly. There are many serious complications that can occur. This is your vision that is being contemplated. Do not try to save a hundred dollars. I would never have something of this irreversible degree done in Thailand.

However, Thailand has, and does, do numerous eye surgeries daily. I am sure to some extent safely. They also continue to do fillings and caps everday successfully.

Please consider your decision carefully!!!

Hope this helps you.
sigmoid

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2003 1:06 pm    Post subject: two good hospitals in BKK Reply with quote

These hospitals have two of the best reputations in Thailand:

1) Bumrungrad [pronounced bum-roong-raht]

http://www.bumrungrad.com/

You can read some positive comments here:

http://www.atwtravel.net/doc/english/journal/thailand/index_bangkok.htm

2) Mission

http://www.mission-hospital.org/

I've had dental work done here [replacement of a filling] and was pleased with the fast service, good work and low cost.
Tabitha Smallpiece

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2003 11:31 pm    Post subject: Dental treatment (Fang Bashing ) Reply with quote

I have always found the ''Dental Hospital '' first class on Sukhumvit soi 49.
Give it a try. Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Thailand All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: