Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Greece - EU passport???

View previous topic :: View next topic  
elena

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2003 8:47 pm    Post subject: Greece - EU passport??? Reply with quote

Hello,
Do I need an EU passport to apply for work in Greece?
Can only Europeans get EU passports, or is it possible for a Canadian to get one? Help!!!!
rogan

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2003 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EU stands for European Union.

It's a shortcut way of referring to those 15 countries that make up the European Union.

So an EU passport is any passport used by nationals of the 15 member countries. i.e Portugal, France, Spain, Eire, UK, Belgium, Germany etc etc

In May of 2004 another 10 countries will be joining the EU and will accept EU restrictions and laws.

The UK is bracing itself for an influx of 60 000 people per year from Eastern European countries (new EU members) who will have the right to live and work in any other member country.
elena

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2003 8:37 pm    Post subject: EU passports Reply with quote

Confused Thanks Rogan

Well, I finally looked up EU on the web and found the member countries. 15 of them to date - and Greece is there, Turkey not yet.

The part that is confusing for me is that I have been told that if I find an employer in an EU country, I can still get a work permit for that country. Others have said "no" - one needs to be an EU citizen to work in any of the EU countries. The Greek Consulate has not yet replied.

Any more info, anyone? Thanks. Elena
John

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2003 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You don't necessarily have to have an EU passport to work in the EU. The rules are rather the other way round, that is if you are a citizen of one of the member states of the EU (not necessarily have a passport although people posting here tend to use that phrase as meaning the same thing) then you automatically have the right to work in any other member state of the EU without having to get any other permits or documents than a citizen of that country would have to get.

If however you are not a citizen of one of the fifteen then there are no global EU rules. Each country can decide whether it wishes to grant work permits to outsiders and on what terms. Most governments try to protect the jobs of their own citizens and so will only tend to issue work permits on the specific request of the EMPLOYER (not the potential employee) and then only when they are satisfied that jobs are not being taken away from their own citizens. If issued this permit is then given to the employee and allows you to change jobs if you so desire (although different countries may have different rules). A work permit from one country will not allow you to work in another EU country.

Obviously it is far easier for employers to hire British teachers rather than go through this rigmarole, especially as the countries with the highest demand for native speaker English teachers, namely Greece, Italy and Spain, are those with the largest black economies and people try to do as little as possible to draw themselves to the attention of the taxman.
elena

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2003 9:56 pm    Post subject: thank you Reply with quote

That is a most thorough explanation! I finally understand it. Much appreciated. Elena Smile
junkmail

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Elena,
It's been a long time since I was in Europe so I'm going to make a general point. The more qualifications and experience you have on your CV/Resume the more likely a potential employer will be able to justify needing you. Particularly TOEFL experience or an education degree or DELTA etc..
Personally I'd like to see more Canadians and for that matter Americans teaching in Europe but then I'd like to see less barriers in general. Cool
pirateinpanama

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

elena--and that does sound Greek to me. If your parents or grandparents were born in Greece, you can apply for a passport.
This is true of some other countries too.
Soon, I�ll be going to the Greek consulate here in Panama City to do the same. I want a transfer, temporarily, to either Paris or Madrid.
I�ll use my late father�s USA passport that states he was born in Greece.
My attorney here in Panama did the same thing with no problem.
Best of luck
niko60

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 5:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pirate, dont forget that if you are a male up to 5th generation Greek heritage you might also have a problem with the army. I went and did my 6mos when I was 37. Fun!!

Niko
jacqui

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

just wondering.... does it matter if other family members are of Greek descent? My uncle married a Greek woman and they have been living in Athens for 25 years (he is now a citizen). The consulate has been very slow getting back to me. If not, is it difficult to get a job and work permit once there? thanks Smile
pirateinpanama

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

niko60; sorry about the delayed reply. A long overdue vacation on an isolated white sand beach did me wonders!
What you say is true. When my attorney (a Panamanian citizen) hit the Greek shore with his Greek passport, the authorities immediately wanted to draft him into the army. He had some major problems.
As I near 60, I doubt if they'll give me a second look. But you make a good point for anyone wanting to take that route.
I wonder if the same applies to women?!!
Best of luck!
niko60

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2005 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome back Pirate,
Well your safe as far as the draft goes, but try not to get caught in Greece the next time we have at it with Turkey, and general mobilization is in effect. Hell, they drafted my Father, and Grandfather then, both who had already served. They were literally picking up tourists of Greek decsent and putting them in uniform, of course this is highly unlikely to happen again ( new world order etc, etc). To answer your question about the ladies. No we love our females too much to put them in harms way, although they can volunteer if they wish. Be well.

Niko
miss_betty

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2005 4:56 am    Post subject: Has this worked for you Reply with quote

pirateinpanama wrote:
I�ll use my late father�s USA passport that states he was born in Greece.
My attorney here in Panama did the same thing with no problem.
Best of luck

I want to embark on this process....but wanted to see what roadblocks and what documentation you really needed.....per the greek embassy, you need your fathers birth certificate and his marriage certificate too....nothing said about a passport

Many thanks
Jahnine
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Greece All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: