Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Teach English & Scuba Dive?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Thailand
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hod

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2003 9:32 am    Post subject: ... Reply with quote

Quote:
Ministry matters are somewhat more discreet

�and much much slower.

Don�t worry backpackers, you�ll be OK for years yet.

Keep us posted Tabby.
Ajarn Miguk

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2003 11:29 am    Post subject: Draconian And Then What? Reply with quote

Before and during my time in Thailand, Tabitha, I have heard and read that Thailand gets, for the most part, exactly the kind of teacher it deserves, i.e., the low salaries (not the 100,000 baht plus offered at your school) paid to foreign teachers by the vast majority of schools.

What is your response to such an opinion? Will the work of your association rectify the present situation and result in higher salaries for qualified and professional teachers working in Thai government schools and other institutions which do not qualify for membership in your association?

As you are well aware, the number of Thai students attending schools such as those represented in your association is but a very small percentage when compared to the total number of Thai students being educated in Thailand. No doubt, the same is true when comparing numbers of foreign teachers by employment situation or school classification.

How exactly will the draconian measures you have described better the education of the huge number of Thai students who do not and will never attend schools such as yours? How will such draconian measures result in higher remuneration for the professional, educated and licensed teachers who choose to work in such places and not in schools represented by your association?

In point of fact, I disagree with very little of what you have written. I only hope someone is speaking for those students (and teachers) not in schools such as yours.
pcruz

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2003 10:39 pm    Post subject: change?? Reply with quote

Amazing how this topic got off the idea of teaching and scuba diving? Leads me to believe that to succeed in with this idea my be harded then I think? Thank you all for the help and patience.

lilpaul
sigmoid

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2003 11:42 am    Post subject: not so difficult Reply with quote

Paul -

If youve got a university degree then finding a job in Thailand shouldn't be hard at all. If you haven't got one, then your choices will be limited but it should still be possible. Thailand needs native English teachers badly.
Hod

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2003 8:02 pm    Post subject: ... Reply with quote

Tabitha Smallpiece wrote:
Hod
Our next meeting of the '' Thai International Schools Association '' is on June the 9th, I may be able to tell you more after said meeting.

Tabby, I�ve read them all, every inch: BKK Post, Nation, Krungthep wotsit, ajarn.com, not one word about the aforementioned 9 June meeting. It�s been two days. Does this mean my job at the 24 Hours place in Bangna is safe? Please advise.
Tabitha Smallpiece

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2003 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Read the papers for all they are worth, however the matters discussed in the meeting will not be availble to the general public yet awhile.

We had a delightful meeting at that nice Mr. Thaskin's new university out in Patum Thani , or more like Ayttayu by the distance travelled and indeed siting of said university. Good powerful allies our assoccation has, I am glad to say. Many very strict regulations are going to be put into place to regulate registered schools, lots of hurdles to jump for all concerned.

It may well be a good idea for the Language schools to form their own lobby group to promote and indeed protect their own interests, and those interests of their staff to boot.

Little problem for the owners and principles of schools, they must all hold degrees, no problem in what field of study though. Could pose a problem to some of your current employers I fear whose documentation was forged on a computer at Kings College Bang Na some years back !. I know someone who has the copy of said degrees and T.E.F.L. certificates on a couple of floppy discs too, he is back in Thailand after being in Japan for some time.

I seem to recall that one of the bodies involved in that particular scasm was a D.O.S at a rather posh Language school in a new large tower block near Ploenchit, yet said hustler ex para trooper or so he claimed , was quickly found wanting and his services were dispensed with post haste.

Tell one lie and you have to keep on going, need a fairly good if not excellent memory to be a liar. I wonder if some people who are in employing positions have that unique ability, perhaps when sober yes, however when in their cups not so. Rolling Eyes
senor boogie woogie

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2003 5:23 pm    Post subject: Maybe try the Middle East! Reply with quote

To the original poster, maybe you should try the Middle East if you want to live near the beach and go diving. I talked to a man who lived in Dahrain and he said that was something he enjoyed doing. The country of Oman has jobs from time to time on this website and the country is supposed to be beautiful.

To Tabitha Smallpiece, I have sent you an e-mail concerning your International School.

SENOR
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Thailand All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: