Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The DRC
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Africa Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
xnihil

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2003 4:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heart of Darkness. by Joseph Conrad. Writing began 1898. First published in 1901

So I guess that is "Way after the 1800s". (a whole year later)
scot47

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2003 5:16 am    Post subject: 1800's Reply with quote

xnihil

Where I copme from the "1800's" means the decade from 1800 to 1809. It does noit mean the nineteenth century. M aybe in your neck of the woods it's different.

You all have a nice day now
jason_seeburn

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2003 8:33 pm    Post subject: Re: 1800's Reply with quote

[]][

Last edited by jason_seeburn on Tue Jun 06, 2006 1:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
Africaexpert

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2003 2:20 pm    Post subject: What difference does this make now? Reply with quote

DNC is still not a place you'd want to go. Rolling Eyes
scot47

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2003 3:09 pm    Post subject: Congo - Haert of Darkness Reply with quote

Maybe you could go as a UN Peacekeeper.
Lucy Snow

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2003 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or a buyer of tropical fish.
Africaexpert

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2003 4:19 am    Post subject: Summer Reading Reply with quote

"Living on the brink of Disaster in Mobutu's Congo - In the Footsteps of Mr. Kurtz" by Michela Wrong

Conrad proves prophetic:
"He won't be forgotten. Whatever he was, he was not common. He had the power to charm or frighten rudimentary souls into an aggravated witch-dance in his honour; he could also fill the small souls of the pilgrims with bitter misgivings: he had one devoted friend at least, and he had conquered one soul in the world that was neither rudimentary nor tainted with self-seeking. No, I can't forget him."
-Heart of Darkness
The Lemon

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2003 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems to me that if you're looking for free information on an internet forum, you're relying on the kindness of strangers. As such, people need to want to help you. That's not going to happen when you come off as you have.

There are two possibilities here: 1. This is your personality. 2. You're trolling and have no interest in the Congo.
scot47

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2003 11:32 am    Post subject: three cheers Reply with quote

3 CHEERS for the Lemon. He got it right.
jason_seeburn

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2003 10:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Summer Reading Reply with quote

[]][

Last edited by jason_seeburn on Tue Jun 06, 2006 1:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
jason_seeburn

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2003 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[]][

jason_seeburn

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2003 10:11 pm    Post subject: Re: three cheers Reply with quote

][[]

Last edited by jason_seeburn on Tue Jun 06, 2006 1:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
khmerhit

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2003 12:05 am    Post subject: bloody lawyers Reply with quote

Jason S wrote:
Quote:
Really? I've gotten over 40 responses so far, and my thread is the longest on the African discussion forum. You are obviously not a politician. The easiest way to get people to help you is to argue with them.

Crying or Very sad Why am I no surprised that you are studying for the bar? I wonder how well you manage in Taiwan with an attitude like that. By the way, speaking of bars, The Heart of Darkness is a very fine bar in Phnom Penh, Cambodia, established in the late twentieth century. It used to be the kind of thrid world dive where the boys could indeed be separated from the men, but now it is mostly a compulsory stop on the backpacker tour. Still a remarkable establishment. Three cheers for the owner, Samnang Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy !!!
RobADED

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2003 12:21 am    Post subject: Re: bloody lawyers Reply with quote

khmerhit wrote:
Jason S wrote:
Quote:
Really? I've gotten over 40 responses so far, and my thread is the longest on the African discussion forum. You are obviously not a politician. The easiest way to get people to help you is to argue with them.

Crying or Very sad Why am I no surprised that you are studying for the bar? I wonder how well you manage in Taiwan with an attitude like that. By the way, speaking of bars, The Heart of Darkness is a very fine bar in Phnom Penh, Cambodia, established in the late twentieth century. It used to be the kind of thrid world dive where the boys could indeed be separated from the men, but now it is mostly a compulsory stop on the backpacker tour. Still a remarkable establishment. Three cheers for the owner, Samnang Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy !!!

I didnt know you needed to be a lawyer to pour drinks
Africaexpert

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2003 5:47 am    Post subject: Jason grow up please Reply with quote

SIGH...children, children
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Africa Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7

Jump to: