Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

HELP NEEDED URGENTLY RE: KUWAIT

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ikar

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 12:59 am    Post subject: HELP NEEDED URGENTLY RE: KUWAIT Reply with quote

Hi all,

I have been offered a job in Kuwait and I desperately need some opinion about the total package.
Can a family of 4 (kids are 10 & 4) live on this???? Is it enough????
The package is as follow:
60% of my kid�s school fees will be paid
85% of medical expenses & health insurance will be paid
400KD to 500KD per month for apartment rent (they have mentioned Jabriyah)
Furniture or relocation allowance will be paid
1800KD per year (150KD per month) car allowance
Leave allowance (4 plane ticket for family to go back home every year)
1500KD per month for basic expenses

Would there be any money left for saving???

I appreciate any comments ASAP, because I have two weeks to make my final decision.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 2:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is this a serious question? Obviously you are not an ESL/EFL teacher... we would be lucky to be paid half that much. If you can't live on this and save thousands and thousands every year, you desperately need a financial advisor!!! (school fees are a tad low, but you could probably save enough on the housing allowance to pay the difference...)

The best most of us could hope for is 700-800 salary, 250-300 housing, no car allowance, and probably no school fees for the kids. Perhaps you are asking on the wrong board. Laughing

VS
ikar

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 3:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry VS,

I should mention that I am not a teacher and the offer is in different industry(Development). I apologize for the misunderstanding.
So from your reply, I gather this is not a bad offer???

Best Regards
localkuwait

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 3:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi- It looks like a good package. The first few months, tuck 200 away and then after that try more. In the beginning you will have more expenses then later. I am assuming you are male. If I am wrong, so sorry. But if you are, your wife could get on at your children's school as an assistant or be a substitute. If she gets a job there, you would save a little more on fees. Jabriya is a nice, central area, but rent is higher. If they hand you 500, you could probably get a larger appt or floor of a house out in Mubarak ElKabir or Adan for 350 or 400 and pocket the extra. If they pay your rent direct, live in Jabriya in a 500 kd place and let them foot the bill, and be close to everything! For schools I would try ASK, which is the embassy/oil company school. Almost ALL north American kids go there. Then i would try UAS, it is builidng a new campus with pool and nice facilities. AIS is in an old campus and in lots of transition. Trying to go IB, but not there.
You can lease a car for about 120 or 130 and they service and keep it maintained. Or you can buy a car if you plan on being here more than 2 years.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ikar

Good practical advice from localkuwait.

Compared to what the average English teacher makes yours is a PHENOMENAL package, but there is no way we could know if it is a competitive pay scale for your profession. But, 4 people should be able to live very well on this amount and still save. If your wife also does some work, you could probably save 100% of her salary.

I wasn't quite sure if you were not a joker - trying to make us poor English teachers feel bad about our paltry little pay packets. Laughing

VS
ikar

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VS

As I mentioned previously, I was not bragging about the package but only wants to find out if I was getting the fare package

I'm hopping I will be in Kuwait next couple of weeks to see first hand the situation.

Any comments on the following school for my 10 year old(the company mentioned these)

The English School of Kuwait

Kuwait English School

Regards
localkuwait

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Both schools have good reputation. I know parents/kids/ and teachers at both. The English School is where more English/European kids go. Prides itself on English being the language on the playground. KES does grouping by ability, which is nice considering most English speaking schools have huge ESL classrooms. I teach, and have only three 2 native speakers in my class and this is a good year. So grouping by ability is an attractive thing for some parents. Both schools also do a lot of activities.
ikar

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2005 6:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks localkuwait,

My daughter plays piano, do we need to bring ours or can we buy one there. Also piano teachers are easy to find??

Regards
souk

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Plenty of piano teachers and pianos. Because of the climate, any piano you brought with you would be quickly damaged. Pianos are especially made for this climate (so I am told)

Both schools are good though I have a soft spot for NES.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Kuwait All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: