Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Thinking of coming to the UK?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Kingdom
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dyak

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 5:04 pm    Post subject: Thinking of coming to the UK? Reply with quote

Think twice!
SueH

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What brought that about Dyak? Doing your scheme of work for the new term, or something else? Ignore the election - I'll certainly vote but am ignoring the campaign. Incidentally, one of my asylum seeking students was in the paper today. Vicarious fame at last!
Russell Hadd

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure if this is advice or a threat. Maybe an explanation such as '... because if you do you'll be disappointed' or '... because if you do I'll punch your lights out' would help. Cool
dyak

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sue wrote:
What brought that about Dyak? Doing your scheme of work for the new term, or something else?

I was looking for 'authentic material' after coming over all CELTAry; that maybe I could impress upon my students the sheer sophistication of English humour. Though I just wanted to be the only EFL teacher that hasn't used Mr Bean at the end of the day.

Razz
Winmarr

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speak like an English footballer in one easy sentence: "At the end of the day, when all's said and done, we're just happy to get the three points."
dyak

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2005 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
"At the end of the day, when all's said and done, we're just happy to get the three points."

Yes, that's why I liked Cantona, at least he tried to get away from repeating the same tripe season after season. That's a thought, how do you get a job teaching ESL to premiership footballers?
SueH

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2005 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried once to get such a job, but the local club already had a tie up with someone. An EFL teacher occasionally sits next to me at the ground and had done such teaching which he rather enjoyed and found quite lucrative.

I rather fancied getting my boots out and doing some practical work at the training ground. Hampshire Ladies league is not quite as competitive as the Premiership but I can at least pass a ball.
SueH

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2005 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let's face it, in all honesty, this has been a thread of two halves.

Or as Sky rather wittily put it about the Southampton-Norwich game on Saturday: "this was a game of two halves - half was Southampton's attack and half was Southampton's defence." If you had seen the game you'd know how apposite that was!
Winmarr

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's something about sportsmen, isn't there? Even the intelligent ones often forget how to speak properly after a while. Over here the Aussie Rules players start sentences with "yeah nah" and use "probably" far too often. The don't seem to be certain about anything.

ESL teaching to footballers would be an interesting job. I might try to get onto David Beckham's manager though; might be able to learn him some proppa English.
dmb

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
ESL teaching to footballers would be an interesting job

A few years ago I was working at a company which was giving lessons to 5 of the Galatasaray team. It was the year they won the UEFA cup so they were always cancelling lessons because they had to go to away matches all the time. So it wasn't interesting as there were hardly any lessons
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Kingdom All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: