Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Discovery Park

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Hong Kong
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sypanda5

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2003 3:28 pm    Post subject: Discovery Park Reply with quote

hello!
I know that ppl have talked about DISCOVERY PARK (apt)...can you tell me more about it? (What do you think?) I've been emailing around and getting information from different people...and Discovery Park sounds like a good place..but I'd like to hear more ppl's opinions about it....

i've been told that it's in a good location in relation to my two schools, yet in a good/convenient location....

thanks!
Roger

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2003 4:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Discovery Park?
You are asking about Discovery BAY, I suppose?

DB is an estate for the creme de la creme of HK's society, a welathy people's ghetto on the south side of Lantau Island, some 25 kms from HK proper (ten kilometers by ferry). On the north side of Lantau is HK's airport.
It is a sprawling village, a small town complete with shopping and dining facilities. It also has schools, and a golf course. If you can work in a local school it is a good job; if you have to commute to HK Island or Kowloon, you will spend hours on boats and buses as well as a handy sum of money (the catamaran to Central sets you back around 25 dollars).
You could rent some flat there, which would not be more expensive than in HK, but as for schools you would have to find a job elsewhere.
DB is pretty secluded, with no through-traffic except by hikers. Cars have a local number plate ("DB) for driving inside DB. People use golf buggies to get around, or a local bus. Population is well over 10'000!
kaye

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2003 5:03 am    Post subject: Discovery Park Reply with quote

No- he/she does mean Discovery Park. It's a housing estate at Tsuen Wan, relatively new (about 6 years I'm guessing) located 10 minutes walk from the Tsuen Wan MTR, along a specially built air-conditioned covered walkway. Some expats live there- some of the NETS I have known in the last 5 years- Nice apartments with good facilities. Built over a shopping centre (most of them are, in HK) . If your school is in Tsuen Wan you may find this convenient. Last I heard the pool was out of action but this may have been rectified.
sypanda5

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2003 7:31 pm    Post subject: New Haven Reply with quote

thanks roger and Kaye for responding! Smile

Has anybody heard of a NEW PLACE called NEW HAVEN? In the same area (tsuen wan)........newer (and better? nicer? I dont know) than Discvoery Park....
arju

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2003 3:50 pm    Post subject: discovery park Reply with quote

hi I have visited a net who lives at this complex and the apartments are small but well appointed kitchen is tiny and bedrooms are just big enough for a bed but the price is very good and over a huge shopping centre. the net who lives there works close by and having visited mid levels has comented on how isolated she feels in the area but its comes to costs verse lifestyle hope this helps
bye
sypanda5

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2003 4:33 am    Post subject: new place Reply with quote

thanks arju for your comments! (always can count on you to give some advice!) Smile

I'm now looking at a new place called NEW HAVEN. (Located in Tsuen Wan). My SET is looking for places for me..and she recommened this one:
http://www.hanglung.com/newhaven/index.htm

I think it looks gorgeous...What do you think? Have you heard of it?

Could anybody please clarify for me - what is the difference between a SERVICED apt and a "normal" apartment. (Is it worth it to stay in a serviced apt?)
arju

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2003 4:51 am    Post subject: new haven Reply with quote

hi again
the serviced apartments have a maid who cleans lightly each day and changes towels and linen this costs more and usually means that you wont have your own laundry but have to use a communal one.
non serviced apartments are thus cheaper as you do the work but then alot of people in hong kong eg the locals have servents armahs who live in for $3500 per month and do everything and anything for 24 hrs a day 2 days off. I will ask around to see if anyone knows of new haven one thing to remember is that the locla teachers will have a different appreciation of what we look for in an apartment they will find 400-600 sq feet good enough we may find the size a bit small.
bye for now
sypanda5

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2003 2:06 pm    Post subject: thanks arju! Reply with quote

thanks again and again arju! Smile
i'll keep my eyes and ears open for good places to live! Wink
bliksem

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2003 2:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there sypanda5 - If I were you I'd try one of the longstay hotel packages in TW. I know the Panda-hotel offers a month for about $HK8000 [could be less now] and this is right around the corner form this place you're looking at.

We stayed in the Bay Bridge Hotel - it was $HK6700 - 440sq ft and was very nice - they have a free shuttle bus [as do most] to the Tsuen Wan MTR. Also because they specialize in long stay packages [whereas the Panda-hotel is more a hotel] they are better equiped in my opinion e.g. BB has a common pantry room with toasters and microwaves - most hotels do not. You can of course take their rooms with a kitchenette but at almost twice the price you'd have to love cooking yourself pretty much!

Have a look at their website:http://www.grandhotel.com.hk/baybridge/location.htm

You're in the fortunate position that appartments are empty and there are more landlords than tenants out there at the moment. A longstay hotel/serviced apartment [the same thing really] gives you time to see what you like and don't like. You have a month or more to decide what will make you happy - and there is no rush as most flats will still be open in my opinion.

I think we had a look at the New Haven place as well - but it was only opening recently - right? it looked pretty good!
sypanda5

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2003 7:17 pm    Post subject: thanks! Reply with quote

thanks bliksem!
can you tell me more about this NEW HAVEN place?! i'm wondering..do you live/work in tsuen wan or something? (may i ask where you live?)

bay bridge seems nice....but not as nice as the others i've seen online.....
thanks!
sonya
bliksem

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2003 3:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi there - sorry not a lot of info on new haven, but I have seen it from the front and it looks pretty nice although - as with most new places in HK - the buildings around it aren't that hot.

I live on Park Island - which is everything I want - far from the madding crowd!!! Mostly I work in Tai Po - which is about 35 minutes from TWan with the bus - as I work in the NT I prefer the bus system and try to avoid the MTR. The buses here work great and like clockwork - although I haven't used 'em anywhere near Central though - that might be different!

I have travelled form TW to Jordan though and it took about the same time as the MTR.

Seeing as your coming from Taiwan I guess you can't wait to flush toiletpaper again Razz ?!?

Good luck with everything
sypanda5

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2003 12:52 pm    Post subject: flushing? Reply with quote

bliksem,
MY GOSH! You totally reminded me of something that I ONCE used to do.....FLUSH TOILET PAPER! hahah.....WOW......it's hard to believe I dont even think about it anymore! aaaaahhhhh! hahah.....

I think I'm going to stay in a hotel (Panda Hotel?) for the first month (hopefully not more!) until I find a place to stay (perhaps New Haven or somewhere else around there....?!)

Thanks for your words of wisdom!
Sonya
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Hong Kong All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: