Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Which are the good schools to work for?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Czech Republic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jitkasan

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2005 10:22 am    Post subject: Which are the good schools to work for? Reply with quote

I had bad news today. Am now stuck in Japan finishing work for the spring semester which, at my main place of employment, ends on Sept 17th. An odd time of the year. That means I can't do the TEFL course in Prague that I'd wanted... Crying or Very sad The next TEFL course starts on October 17th. Am not rich enough to wait a month for it to start, then be unemployed for a month while I do it and then wait another month to get my first pay.

The good news is that my ticket to Prague is considerably cheaper if I leave after Sept 20th! Razz

But now feel more lost, since I was counting on the course to help me 1)make friends and network 2)find accommodation and at least give me a place to stay for the first month 3) help me find a GOOD school/place to work at.

Though I am bilingual I found when I dropped by Prague in 1998, working a bit teaching english before coming to Japan (from Australia...), I missed other English speaking "foreign" friends and as a woman I don't want to be sitting around bars alone (though I know a few great bars for that in Kyoto!). The school I worked for (Anglictina Expres) sent me to companies and I never met another teacher in the six months I worked for them.

Do you have any advice? Question

-->How can I meet people, when I do get there (booked my ticket now for Sept 22, but might change it to 26th.)

-->What are good schools to try? I don't have that TEFL, but I DO have 6years teaching experience and that bilingual thing (for better or for worse) and a Czech passport.

Předem d�ky za odpověď!
Jitka Smile
spiral78

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2005 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahoj, Jitko
You could also try doing something other than teaching English. Many companies will hire true bilingual workers, and some positions pay well.
Your Czech background will be an asset in teaching or other positions. I don't think you should have too much trouble over your lack of TEFL certification, considering your experience and your language skills. The better schools are on the list mentioned in the thread above. You should be safe to start there.
You'll likely still be going off to companies to teach. It's 90% of the business in the city.
You'll have no trouble finding expats to talk to/hang out with. You could even visit a training school (I'm sure you'd be welcomed to visit and discuss the program on offer)and meet the current trainees and trainers. They might even help out with housing contacts, if you're lucky.
jitkasan

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah!! Am feeling slightly less daunted. I'll try to do a bit of both at the start perhaps. Visit a few of the language schools and training schools. Send of resumes to some international companies... Try to get some work using my bilingual skills (though they are pretty much all I have, no other postgrads etc.) in the meantime make some money doing what I know how to do best right now ie. teach English.

Tak zat�m čau a d�k za odpověď !
Jitka
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Czech Republic All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: