Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

shots and onlward ticket

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gerard

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2003 8:10 am    Post subject: shots and onlward ticket Reply with quote

Forgive me for bringing up these old saws but here goes---What shots---Malaria__---do you need for China??? Would go to a clinic but Im worried about a doctor giving unnecessary ones for the cash...Also would a return ticket from a 3rd country be OK or do you need proof of passage to your own country??? Thanks All...
SongGirl

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2003 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Gerard...which part of China are you going to? As far as I can remember, the Yangtze (and slightly above) marks the Malaria "limit" to the North, so going to Hubei province, my doctor provided me with stand by medication just in case...I don't think Malaria shots are given that fast anymore because the side-effects can be extremely unpleasant and dangerous in themselves. Aside from that, I had to have all my childhood shots updated (tetanus, diphteria, polio) and in addition had a typhoid inoculation. I already had Hep A and B done years before but that is a long-term deal so nothing you can do if you are coming to China soon.
Some recommend a rabies too if you think you will be in close contact with a lot of animals or roaming around rural areas.
Yellow fever is obligatory when entering China from an infected area.
I am sure you can find some resources on vaccine recommendations (as well as Malaria maps) by country on the net...I only know German sites but am convinced that English ones exist.

Sounds like a lot of shots, but I am pretty glad I had them done. You do pick up things very easily here.
Roger

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2003 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have not had any shots in ten years, and I have spent quite a few years in southern CHina. In my personal opinion, it is advisable to be prepared for the cold season. If you can get a shot, get it! The flu is quite tenuous here, and in some instances it kills.
There has been an outbreak of dengue fever in Guangdong, which is temporarily under control due to the season being cold.
Malaria is NOT an issue just yet.
Hepatitis is common among Chinese. Avoid seafood!
Roger

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2003 1:00 am    Post subject: Corrigenda... Reply with quote

...flu is 'tenuous...' hahaha! What a slipup! I meant "tenaceous", it is PERSISTENT, it clings to you for months once you have caught it!

I don't know if you need a two-way ticket - most that I know come on a one-way ticket! And nobody gets asked to produce evidence they can support themselves...
gerard

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2003 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the help--I guess not too too much to worry about on either front... If it is relevant I am going to either Shenyang or Harbin which are NORTH..Harbin is practically in Siberia---(wont have to worry about humid summers.) ... /
Seth

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2003 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd give Harbin a pass just on issue of how cold it gets. Chinese winters are absolutely brutal, especially when most places aren't heated well. Even Canadians complain. Here in Luoyang (which is around the same latitude as Shenyang I think) there are few mosquitos as it's generally dry.
When I lived in Haiti I was given malaria pills, not shots, which you take for a week or so. I don't think you'll need them, though.
SongGirl

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2003 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roger wrote:

There has been an outbreak of dengue fever in Guangdong, which is temporarily under control due to the season being cold.
Malaria is NOT an issue just yet.
Hepatitis is common among Chinese. Avoid seafood!

Another poster earlier said it was a case of pneumonia down in Guangdong...and today I heard it was "just" a bad flu...so what is that mysterious illness, really? I am confused...so is it actually dengue fever?
Roger

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2003 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A good question, Song GIrl!
I posted a "Travel advisory" a couple of days ago, but the moderator seemed to dislike it, so it disappeared again! It was, however, an account based on facts!
Alright, here we go once more:
- A serious pneumonia epidemic is currently raging in Guangdong. At first, it was called a "mystery disease". People began coughing, developing fever and so on, and a few died. More than 300 were hospitalised.
It is on the wane now, but... Epidemics come and go. No wonder, considering the congestions in public places!
Anyway, I got wind of it not so much because my neighbours were fast disappearing into hospitals but because they were buying up SALT and VINEGAR with which to COMBAT the DISEASE! There was a panic here just like in war, and prices suddenly rocketed through the roof!
Paul G

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2003 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Roger:

Your "Travel Advisory" is still on the board. It's just a lttle further on down the list.

Paul
SongGirl

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2003 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Roger...yes, I just checked a few websites on it, it is referred to everywhere as an "atypical pneumonia" or more harmless, a "respiratory problem". Wow that must be a pretty scary situation when you are in the midst of it, although yeah, you are right, it's not surprising. So stay healthy, ok?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only) All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: