Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How many hours do you teach?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Kingdom
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SandyM

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2005 4:26 pm    Post subject: How many hours do you teach? Reply with quote

How many hours do you spend at the chalk-face?

There's a survey at...

http://tefltrade.blog-city.com

Just thought you might like to know!

Sandy
BELS

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2005 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SandyM , I checked up your site, and I have never seen so much garbage in my life before, It is not the way to portray TEFL, it lowers our standards of meaningfully wanting to teach as professionals, there are other ways of portraying the problems, as I said this is garbage, and you will see what I mean, and the the movement towards Unions is out of date in this modern world .
SandyM

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2005 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BELS, what's your problem (apart from a lack of awareness of punctuation and coherence, I mean)? Have those rose-tinted spectacles they awarded you on the Celta course become stuck to your nose?

I see that you're based in the Russia, anyway, so you're probably not aware of the problems facing UK Teflers. These problems are deep-rooted and hardcore, in my opinion, and I just hope I can do my little bit to highlight them.

Whereas Unions might well be 'out-of -date', you poor little fashionista, they are sorely needed in this area right now. Haven't you read the other postings on this forum? Probably too much for you to cope with, reading that much in one day...

What we don't need is drips like you farting around the place like a frightened Nanny. Knob off back to the cupboard, you creep!

Sandy

Last edited by SandyM on Sat May 14, 2005 3:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
dyak

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2005 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, as long as there's a constant stream of CELTA-fresh backpackers, sold on the travel and teach angle, conditions will always be crap in this country. I mean, name me one school that would even lose a good receptionist over a good teacher; we're not even that important! Could the level of entry get any lower? It has to be raised from it's current warm-body-in-a-room status to something like the PGCE.
Russell Hadd

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2005 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BELS wrote:
the the movement towards Unions is out of date in this modern world .

As a fully paid up member of teaching unions over 20 years I can tell you that you are poorly informed if you beleive this. It's most EFL estabishments that are out of line with the modern world. In most other places where TESOL exists in the UK you will find that the contract has been negotiated with the unions. For example, with the exception of London Met. all EFL teachers, whether in a union or not, will benefit from the work of NATFHE, the AUT & UNISON to name just three who work in partnership with the employers to reach agreement on pay and conditions. There is a particular focus at the moment on the pay of hourly paid teachers, many of whom cannot afford to join a union but will benefit from NATFHE's national campaign aimed at raising pay, creating progression and encouraging employers to offer fractional contracts rather than hourly pay.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Kingdom All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: