Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What do ex-pats REALLY earn in Russia?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Russia & C.I.S.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GF

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2003 6:16 pm    Post subject: Day Schools Reply with quote

Hello everyone. I have a few things to say about earning serious money in Moscow. First of all, I want to talk about the Integration 21st Century school that was discussed earlier. I am the guy who got the job. I want to say that the position is real, the pay is what they advertised and the number of hours per week is quite healthy. As a previous poster has already said, the flat provided is a 10-12 minute walk from the school. It's a great situation but it is not the only one in Moscow. There are many more opportunities out there, but you've got to work very hard to find them. A lot of these schools don't advertise themselves more than once or twice a year and then you've got to move quickly. For example, I waited over a year and a half to get an interview at Integration. I knew about the school and I looked on the Internet every day until their ad came up. Then I phoned them immediately and set up an interview (it helped to already be in Moscow) and got the job. There are many other private schools that hire native speakers for part-time or full-time positions at good hourly rates (anywhere from $12 - $25 per academic hour, though $12-$15 is the most common I've come across). Now, how do you get these jobs? Well, it helps to have experience with children and/or teenagers in a classroom environment. This kind of work is a lot different from teaching courses for a language school. Here, you are a classroom teacher who gives marks that go on report cards. Administration usually watches you more carefully than in a language school. You may or may not have to coordinate your lessons with the Russian-English teachers. You will often be expected to help with school activities (plays, holiday events-shows, etc.) for no extra pay (the Russian staff doesn't usually get paid for this either so it is sort of fair). And you have to deal with parents! This kind of work is stressful, sometimes frustrating, and far from easy, but, in my opinion, is the most rewarding of all in our field. To see a child or teenager grow year to year, to see their language ability grow over time and know that you were a part of it and whatever future they make with it, THAT is job satisfaction. But to get back on topic, there are many of these jobs around. It just takes a lot of patience, some footwork and a bit of luck to find them. Good-luck!
rogan

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2003 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by rogan on Tue Jul 08, 2003 6:37 am; edited 1 time in total
Zolushka

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2003 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, GF, for your positive attitude and your support in English language teaching. We could do with more comments like yours here. I am sure that the outgoing teacher Henry Mitchell would be happy to know that he's got a caring teacher coming after him. Good luck to you with the forthcoming academic year!
maruss

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2003 6:47 am    Post subject: Congratulations from me too! Reply with quote

Just to say the same as Rogan basically!It's good to see someone who is dedicated finding a decent job and conditions for a change!Actually,from what you have written,I don't have the experience to teach a load of teenagers anyway,so it's good job someone like you was the successful applicant!
By the way,are you at the one in Strogino,or in Oktyabrski Pole?
Strogino is nice as an area but the biggest drawback is that the metro is still under construction and it will be years before they finish it! How's the flat-does it have a washing machine etc?

All the best and good luck!
GF

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2003 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. I am in Strogino. My wife and I moved in yesterday and we are still unpacking. We love the flat and the area. It has two rooms, is in good shape and it DOES have a washing machine. This will be the first time in 3 1/2 years that we don't have to wash our clothes by hand! We are across the street from a large park and the river. The air is great, the park is wonderful, and there are many young families around that give the area a feeling of vitality. We are so happy to be here.
Kent F. Kruhoeffer

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2003 3:21 am    Post subject: ********** Reply with quote

Last edited by Kent F. Kruhoeffer on Sat Jul 05, 2003 6:32 am; edited 1 time in total
GF

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2003 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Kent,
I'll take you up on that.

GF
bgor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2003 3:39 pm    Post subject: Which is the better job offer? Reply with quote

Hi Gang,

I have two potential jobs lined up in Russia. Which is the better deal, or should I seek other options? (Since I decided not to take a TESOL course and take a real, four week in-class TESL course, suddenly I am very popular with schools!)

1. Large chain, job in Moscow, $950/mo, no accommodation (hotel until I find an apartment), medical paid, visa and work permit paid, round-trip airfare from my current residence. Didn't say anything about taxes.

2. Small school in Stavropol, $250-350/mo net, private flat provided, utilities extra, $1000 airfare.

What do you guys think? I would prefer the Stavropol area because it is less Westernised and I don't have to worry about finding an apartment, but the pay....
bgor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2003 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh - the second school (#2) does not permit private tutoring, though I could work more hours and make up to $500/month.
Kent F. Kruhoeffer

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2003 5:31 am    Post subject: *********** Reply with quote

Last edited by Kent F. Kruhoeffer on Sat Jul 05, 2003 6:34 am; edited 1 time in total
maruss

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2003 7:43 am    Post subject: Moscow or Stavropol?? Reply with quote

Basically I'd agree with Kent-although Stavropol region is quite nice from a climate and scenic viewpoint,the money offered is not attractive, I'm sorry to say!I might also comment that Stavropol is about as far south as it's safe for foreigners to go under present conditions-anywhere further on is the start of the Ossetia and Chechnya regions which are obviously places to avoid!
950 u.s. is not really a lot either in Moscow,especially as you have to find your own accomodation,although if you are prepared to take somewhere a bit further from the centre,you could find an appartment for around 250-300 per month-BUT- try to make sure that it a) is not to far from a metro station in walking terms and b) is not in a panel block as these have notoriously thin walls and are very stuffy in summer. Another worthwhile tip is to basically avoid areas in the south and south-east of the city which are often grimy,grey,polluted and thoroughly miserable!Cleanest,but unfortunately often most expensive areas outisde the centre are the western and north western suburbslike Kunsevo,Krilatskoye,and the University area.
Good luck!
M.
maruss

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2003 10:57 am    Post subject: washing machines in appartments etc! Reply with quote

Maybe I'm too fussy Kent,but this is an esssential piece of equipment nowadays,especially if you are busy working etc!And I know that many Russians also have them,even those who are not on high incomes.
I know for a fact that it is very difficult to wash and dry things properly without one!In Moscow there are not more than a handful of service wash places in the whole city and probably even less in other places!And how the hell are you expected to find the time to go to one anyway,especially with the hours teachers work??When the central heating system is turned off in summer,how are you supposed to dry anything properly indoors if you don't at least have a spin-dryer??
Any comments folks?

M.
Kent F. Kruhoeffer

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2003 11:59 am    Post subject: *********** Reply with quote

Last edited by Kent F. Kruhoeffer on Sat Jul 05, 2003 6:35 am; edited 1 time in total
maruss

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2003 8:38 am    Post subject: Union Chairman..........perhaps not thanks! Reply with quote

Well Kent,I appreciate your high esteem for me etc. but as we all know,people that make trouble in Russia have a habit of mysteriously vanishing!
I was listening to a B.B.C. world programme report on Sunday and apparently,the Kremlin have admitted officially that Stalin got rid of at least 27 MILLION of his people! Putin is visiting Britain on an official tour today,the first by a Russian premier for many years,but apparently his meeting with Blair will be very short,which is seen as official dissaproval of several things Russia is doing-Chechnya being one thorny issue and Putins remarks to Blair about Iraq when he was last in Moscow,no doubt also being a prominent reason!
Maybe Blair should also ask him about what happened to TVS and how come crooks and swindlers like the former mayor of St.Petes can get cushy joibs in the Kremlin!!
Sorry,but I just don't trust Putin an inch,even though there is probably nobody any better than him around at the moment in Russia(mind you,I've lost a lot of respect for Tony Blair too recently,not just because he supported the U.S.A. about Iraq,but for lots of other reasons!As for Bush,I'd rather not write anything as it will be ********d out anyway!)
Cheers for now and keep doing the washing!
M.
Kent F. Kruhoeffer

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2003 9:10 am    Post subject: *********** Reply with quote

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Russia & C.I.S. All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: