Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

American teaching in UK--is this impossible??

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Kingdom
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jizzo T. Clown

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 8:56 pm    Post subject: American teaching in UK--is this impossible?? Reply with quote

Hi! I've been looking at several jobs in the UK and just about all require you to be an EU citizen. A bit about myself:

-Two years' teaching experience- a year each in Japan and China
-Currently working on my MA English, TESL concentration (done in a year)
-BA Business Management

At this point, I have my heart set on finding employment in England. Could someone please give me some advice as to where to start here? With the dearth of ESL jobs available in the States, England looks to be the promised land.

More specifically, would I have to worry about housing, visa issues, application fees, etc. on my own, or would a potential employer be willing to cut through the red tape for me? If not, what would be the recommended amount of cash to take with me (as little as possible), and how much could I expect to spend on the process of getting a job?

Thanks in advance for shedding some light on this conundrum!
QatarChic

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would think that now with the EU etc (although after these referndums I have no idea Confused !!!!) that you would find it difficult- have you tried contacting the individual schools??
dyak

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nothing is impossible but you'll find it difficult without a passport from an EU country or a British passport or work permit. Schools will hire foreigners but they'll always hire non-natives from the EU then Australians, South Africans, Kiwis et al with visas before they hire from America. The place where i met the most Americans working legally was Paris, strangely enough.
SueH

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 9:14 pm    Post subject: Re: American teaching in UK--is this impossible?? Reply with quote

Jizzo T. Clown wrote:
More specifically, would I have to worry about housing, visa issues, application fees, etc. on my own, or would a potential employer be willing to cut through the red tape for me?

You have to ask yourself why any employer would bother about any of the above issues when there is rather a large pool of local native speakers with no visa issues. As Dyak has intimated, getting work might be possible, but not on a budget and certainly using just your own resources. Try getting some summer school work (the employers are desperate) and often include "accommodation", and move on from there, but really I think you'd be very lucky. As much chance as I'd have teaching English in the US (even with the cute English accent)...
Will.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now if you were studying in England that wouid be different.
Students from abroad have a 20 hour a week permission to work.
The problem would be to enrol on a course that does not charge you an arm and a leg but allows you time to work before you start in September.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Kingdom All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: