Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

NO DEGREE? NO TEACHING CERT? STAY HOME!!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Newbie Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
once again

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2003 6:49 am    Post subject: For Cheryl Reply with quote

This is not a flame, so please do not take it that way. I was just interested in what teaching theories and methodoligies you were versed in. This would be an interesting topic for new teachers and old alike. There are many different ways of teaching, so I was just interested in what training schools were coaching now, rather than a few years ago when I did my qualifications.
Thanks.
cheryl

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2003 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ESL "guru",

when speaking to Carol, did you mean me? Are you so lazy you can't open a new window to see who the poster was?

As for my "depth of ignorance that's astounding" could you be any more vague?
Quote:
Each of the propositions I stated is supported by current state of the art linguistic research and is contained in peer reviewed Class "A" linguistic journals.

Which theorists? Like i said your "propositions" are debatable. Having just graduated from the honour Linguistics and Applied Language Studies program with a concurrent certificate in TES/FL, I'd be highly interested in what you've read. By the way, could you explain what a "class A linguistic journal" is? I've only read out of the TESOL or SLALS journals.
cheryl

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2003 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Once and again,

In my university, the (I think it's Krashen's but i'll have to look this up) communicative method with a thematic base is very much encouraged for teachers to use for anyone other than true and false beginners. You can look at Yalden's writings on a notational-functional syllabus which us ususally used with the communicative method. My profs also emphasized the (Krashen & Terrell) natural approach, which again has a thematic base. Note: these methods were in reference to an ESL class. My prof's also emphasized that no one method is "correct" that teaching explicit grammar is also acceptable since students feel like they need it. Sorry for the broad post but I figure you can take these terms and look them up for a more indept analysis of both methods. Neither one is perfect.

In my SLA courses, my prof's gave us a whole bunch of readings not saying which method or theories they thought were "better". They gave us the pro's and cons and ideas such as "what denotes a good language learner" (i.e. what strategies they use) and left us to decide for ourselves.

Cheryl
p.s. hopefully posters who are more versed in the subject will be able to give you better information.
ESL Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2003 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you do noy evn know what a Class "A" journal is then you a a complete academic fraud.

Cheers!
ESL Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2003 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you do not even know what a Class "A" journal is then you are a complete academic fraud.

Cheers!
cheryl

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2003 3:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
If you do not even know what a Class "A" journal is then you are a complete academic fraud.

sorry, I'm not so good with make believe.
little horsey

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2003 3:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh snap!

I knew those higher higher educational institutions (eg. U of T, McGill, etc.) were keep us over at Carleton in the dark when it came to the class 'A' journals! Damn them and their elitist ways! To think, we were reading works by Chomsky, Krashen, Halliday, Fromkin, etc. - probably second rate linguists as far as the class 'A' is concerned. The humanity!

...and I'm done.
cheryl

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2003 3:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh gosh Little Horsey, what a square head you gots there! LOL
Glenski

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2003 5:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Cheers!

Well, now, I can see that this Newbie Forum has turned out to be quite nice and sweet and as mellow as some of us predicted. Comments like ESL Guru's do nothing to promote the goal of this special, new discussion forum.

Since my background is pretty much well known to many, and it is not based on a degree in English or linguistics or anything related, I have a question to pose to ESL Guru. I have a science background and have read extensive tomes of scientific literature. Such journals have no classification such as Class A or otherwise. Please enlighten me (and the other readers that you have chosen to alienate with your haughtiness and pomposity)... just what is such a journal, so we can avoid the "lesser class" ones should we choose to raise ourselves to your level. A few examples wouldn't hurt, either.
tjpnz2000

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2003 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ESL Guru man, you are, like, one bitter dude man!

You want I should, like, hook you up with some real A class and help you chill the heck out, man?

T
johnslat

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2003 9:08 am    Post subject: What a maroon Reply with quote

After reading all too many of " ESL Guru"s " posts ( and what a colossal, inflated ego the gentleman must have, going by his user name ), I can now safely say that in his case ignorance is truly bliss. Ignore him.
Regards,
John
woza17

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2003 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Cheryl
for clearing that up with ESL. He does sound bitter but correct me if I'm wrong but isn't he seriously ill. Which could account for his outbursts. There is a lot of anger there and most of it misdirected, I think Panama made a good point that a good teacher is patient when dealing with their students and why should you leave that patience behind when you leave the classroom. anyway i hope I am wrong about his health,
Regards Carol
PanamaTeacher

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2003 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

physical or mental? Smile
C76

Location: somewhere between beauty and truth...in Toronto. ;)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2003 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Holy heck, why did I read this thread?

The prospect of working with incompetent twits irks me unto no end.

But some of the comments that have been thrown around here...

Rolling Eyes
Linda L.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2003 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is all the fuss about?

Maybe there are no ESL or EFL "foreign experts" teaching English in China.

From my limited experience (only two years) China hires native speakers for the exposure and not necessarily any teaching ability.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Newbie Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: