Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Imported Groceries?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
stural

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2003 12:04 am    Post subject: Imported Groceries? Reply with quote

Hey folks,

I'm a little embarrased to ask this, but does anyone know a good source for imported groceries of any kind? I know 15 years ago there were a couple bakals in Bebek carrying cornflakes and Budwiser, but Turkey seems to have come a long way since then. Are there any amazing sources if I get a hankering... for whatever?

Thanks, Embarassed
stural
gelin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2003 3:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Macrocenters in Istanbul are a good source for foreign goods. What exactly are you hankering after?
dmb

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2003 5:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For pork products there is a good deli in Cicek pasaj.
stural

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2003 10:05 pm    Post subject: groceries Reply with quote

Hi there,

Which parts of towns are these Macrocenters in? I'll be living near Uskudar (but always looking for an excuse to ride the ferry). What do you guys miss enough to look for? How about soy sauce or mac n cheese?

Could you tell me which deli it is in Cicek pasaj that has the pork?

Thanks guys!

stural
gelin

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2003 3:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a Macrocenter in Nisantasi and in Levent I think and you can buy soy sauce (kikoman even) in Carrefour or Migros.
Eugene

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2003 5:32 am    Post subject: Imported groceries? Reply with quote

I'm happy to see this topic here. I'll be moving to the Istanbul area in late August after living in Ankara for two years. In Ankara it's difficult to find foreign foods, except for a few basic items like soy sauce. I lived in Japan for eight years and would love to find a source for East Asian foods in Istanbul. I'd especially like to find tofu. Anyone know of a place?

Eugene
dmb

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2003 3:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Eugene there is a chineese supermarket close to IH in Etiler. Very near to the metro station
Eugene

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2003 5:42 am    Post subject: Imported Groceries? Reply with quote

Dear DMB,
That's really good news! Thanks!

Eugene
dmb

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2003 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The pork products are found in the deli opposite caravan. ( horrible Rock Bar)
stural

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2003 11:41 pm    Post subject: more questions? Reply with quote

Thanks so far guys,

how about lasagna noodles, sour cream (according to several dictionaries it's called smetana, so it must be there) and sugar free jello?

Can you tell how much thought I've been giving this? I promise I'll be satisfied after this.

stural
dmb

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2003 3:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You got me there stural. I haven't a clue about any of the above. I asked my girlfriend(Turkish) about "smetana" and she has never heard of it!
dmb

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2003 3:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You got me there stural. I haven't a clue about any of the above. I asked my girlfriend(Turkish) about "smetana" and she has never heard of it!
Mike_2003

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2003 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lasagna is available in some of the bigger supermarkets such as Migros or Makro.

I've seen noodles around. I know that there is a Chinese grocery store somewhere in Istanbul but I can't remember exactly where I heard about it. Most probably it's around the Taksim area.

I've never heard of "smetana" either.
richard ame

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2003 11:12 am    Post subject: Goodies Reply with quote

Hi its me
There are umpteen delis here and quite a few European style hyper markets here like Kipa and Carrefour as well as Migros , Gima ,Bim and even Tansas turns up a few goodies now and then plus of course there is a px in town where lots of your fellow country men shop for said goodies including your sour cream no doubt ,pity your wasting your time in the wrong city ,Izmir has got the lot and everything is much closer to hand ,but you want to go to bloody Istanbul,so long sucker .
stural

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2003 11:05 pm    Post subject: Thanks guys... Reply with quote

Thanks for the tips, guys (and gals). You all are the best! I suppose yogurt would probably substitute for the sour cream....

Richard: As for "choosing" Istanbul, that's where the in-laws are. My husband does have a fantasy of eventually getting a yazlik in Eski Foca. Maybe I'll see you at the store...... Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Turkey All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: