Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Spare time and all that...

View previous topic :: View next topic  
bexely2000

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 12:13 pm    Post subject: Spare time and all that... Reply with quote

So after you've escaped your classroom, run the gauntlet of avoiding various people in running out of the school to freedom, what do you do in Kuwait from three in the afternoon until you re back the next morning?

Do you all go to the gym or something like that? Speaking of which, are there ones where the ex-pats go to? How much are they?

Just curious, happy teaching now�

Bexely
younggeorge

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a few years since I was in Kuwait, but I never got enough money together to go to a club - all the hotels have them, but they're pricey. I contented myself with the parks (free) and the public swimming pool (Gulf Street, near Sultan Centre) which was not free but very cheap. Some schools open up their facilities to staff and friends of staff outside school hours: you'll need to ask around to find out about those.
bexely2000

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that.

May I ask how pricey is pricey? It will not mean anything to me now, but in a few months it might!

How does the swimming pool thing work? (I realise how daft that sounds) What i mean is is there a seperate women/mens or something like that?

Cheers
younggeorge

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2005 4:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry for the delay: I didn't notice you'd posted again. As I say, it's a few years since I was there, but I recall a figure of KD700 - though that might have been for a family as I was there with my wife and daughter.

The swimming pool has an Olympic-sized pool that's men-only at some times and women-only at others. It also has a "family" pool which you won't be allowed into unless you tag along with someone who has a wife or kids.

There's also a huge aqua-park which costs a bit more (maybe 10KD for the day?) but has slides, wave pools and such.

I hope that helps and is not too out of date. Funny there haven't been more replies - there must be people on the forum who have up-to-date info.
KathyK

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2005 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm quite interested in hearing the replies to this question too. I'm moving to Kuwait in seven weeks to begin a new job and will be in the market for a gym membership or at least something that will keep me in some exercise two or three days of the week.

If the memberships are too pricey, is it possible to buy an exercycle to keep in my apartment?

Kathy
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2005 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No problem KathyK, there are places selling exercise equipment. There is very little that you could want that you can't find in the Gulf.

There used to be one right down the street from the university in the Salmiya shopping center area...

Not to mention that, I expect that you can afford gym membership. Cool

VS
bexely2000

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had comtemplated trying to take up a bit of diving again. Sounds like fun and all that, but then i saw a pic of some of the things that i might/possibly/could be swimming with, and decided to maintain my present status as a bona-fide and content land lubber...

http://www.bbrdive.com/news.html
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Bex,

I got a chuckle out of the little ad at the end about the beach clean-up called 'It's Kuwait, Why bother?' Laughing

Based on what I saw there, I wouldn't want to dive anywhere near the shore. But, I had friends that went out into the Gulf and dived around the islands out there. Since I don't even swim, it didn't much appeal to me.

Try it...

VS
bexely2000

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indeed, i might well try it as long as they can promise that there'll be no big fish things.....and i dont understand that ad either.

Is irony really that prevalent that people will see that and realise that they should NOT drop stuff?

Makes no sense to me, but i get the feeling that I had better get used to that feeling, i really can't imagine that Kuwait is really that similar to Nottingham or Blighty generally for that matter!
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well Bex... you don't actually want it to be like home, do you? Laughing

As you saw from the pics, they do have some big fish out there, but the whale shark is harmless.

As to cleaning up the beach areas, way too many spoiled people there used to having a servant picking up behind them as they leave a constant trail of litter. Changing that psychology will be a tough one.

VS
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Kuwait All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: