Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Medan or Jakarta

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Indonesia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gingerese

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2003 4:46 am    Post subject: Medan or Jakarta Reply with quote

Which is a better place to work? I have read a lot of good things about Medan, and not so good about Jakarta on this site, however, it seems there are more schools and more reputable schools in Jakarta. Also, where can I find these schools? I see their names, but I can't find e-mail addresses, phone numbers or addresses, especially for schools in Medan. Please send me any information, that is, experiences, address, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, etc. Thanks for you help! Very Happy
gingerese

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2003 4:04 am    Post subject: Outside Jakarta Reply with quote

Ok, I will settle for anywhere outside of Jakarta. Anyone know of anyone who will hire a native English speaker? Actually there are two of us.
Winmar

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2003 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For addresses of EF schools, check out this link:

http://www.englishfirst.com/studyatef/indonesia/outjakarta_schools.html

For other schools, I'm not sure!
keelychild

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2003 2:01 am    Post subject: medan'o'rama Reply with quote

gingerese,
i worked for a great school in medan and loved it all. the city was crazy and dirty but good fun if you are willing to do some scratching. the school, [u]australia centre medan[/u] was excellent and the manager was also the honourary australian consul, so very above board.
more questions.....??
tim
phis

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2003 4:03 am    Post subject: medan or jakarta Reply with quote

Hi Tim

Nice to see you are still in touch. I agree with you. There are some good schools in Medan and the social scene is great.
Link H

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2003 12:13 pm    Post subject: Medan or Jakarta Reply with quote

I've been to Medan and I've lived quite a bit in Jakarta.

Medan is better for not having as bad of pollution and traffic. I would imagine it would be a better place with 3-day weekends. Both cities are on the coast, but--I kid you not- Jakarta's water is kind of black from pollution. I am not sure how clean Medan's water is for swimming, but it couldn't be as bad as Jakarta's.

If you get a long weekend, going to Lake Tobah is a possibility from Medan. IMO, that beats a trip to Puncak. Anyer beach is only a few hours from Jakarta, but who wants to swim near the Krakatau steal plant?

Jakarta is better for cultural diversity, though there is plenty of that in Medan. ifyou wanted to learn Hokien Chinese, you hear it on the strets in Medan a lot more than you do in Jakarta. You'd probably find it easier to find Chinese food from street venders with real pork in Medan. But if you want to buy pork in that area in the market, they sell half pork and half fat and charge you by the pound.

Jakarta is a lot better if you want to live somewhere with western restaurants. On my trip to Medan, I found it hard to find good western restaurants. I went to one of Medan's big malls. it was pretty poor when compared to something like Taman Anggrek. The elevator would beep if you moved on it when I was at that mall. I wanted western food there and ate at Pizza Hut after eating a lot of Indonesian food for a while, and then passed by a cafe that sold other western food that I would have eaten at after I had filled up on PIzza.

The big plus in the area of food in Medan is Binjai rambutan. They are many times sweeter and juicier than any rambutan I could find in Jakarta. If you've tried a Pondok Gede rambutan, imo, the Binjai is much better.

Air in Medan is a lot better.

I would imagine you would have a much, much better chance of finding a decent paying job in Jakarta than in Medan. I see adds for 4 or 5 hundred a month jobs in both Jakarta and Medan, but with the lack of expat business in Medan when compared to Jakarta, I would imagine that the chances to make a decent western wage are slim there. You would already have competition in Medan from Indian English teachers (Indonesian citizens) who don't need to make the very large expat wages to work. In Jakarta, such jobs are hard to find, but it is possible to stumble on a good job in Jakarta if you search hard enough. You meet people and network. There is a large expat community. You could do pricate lessons for rich Koreans, for example, in Jakarta, while you might not have this chance in Medan. If you only need 4 or 5 hundred dollars (US, or 4 or 5 million rupiah) a month, then Medan may be fine.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Indonesia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: