Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Living Costs in San Jose

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Costa Rica
View previous topic :: View next topic  
spandex123

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2005 10:46 am    Post subject: Living Costs in San Jose Reply with quote

I've just been offered a job with Institute Britanico in San Jose. The pay kinda sucks but I'm not too worried- all I want to know is, is San Jose really that expensive? How expensive are apartments etc? I've got a fairly minimalist lifestyle and am used to budget travelling around the world..... any teachers found they couldn't survive on Costa Rican salaries?
ThePeatMan

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you're a minimalist person, you should have no problems on an Instituto salary. actually, you'll probably be pretty comfortable.
p_town_green

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I taught at Instituto Britanico for a year and got by. SJ isnt cheap, but after traveling in Central America I'm convinced that CR isn't a lot more expensive than other countries, despite what many people say. Rent is pricey, though you can find furnished places in the $200-$300 range. That's about 1/3 up to 1/2 your salary, but the other living costs are manageable. Good, cheap food ($2-$3 for a huge plate of grub), one of the better cheap beers I've ever encounterd ($1 for a bottle of Imperial), and cheap transport (city bus=$.25, bus to nearest beaches, 2-4 hours away, $5). I dipped into the savings a bit in the first few months cause I'm bad at budgeting and love to drink, but you should be able to get by. good luck
Munchen

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 10:51 pm    Post subject: To P Town Green or ANYBODY Reply with quote

You mentioned furnished apts. in San Jose running around $300 monthly.
Could you elaborate a bit more on any neighborhoods? Also concern about safety. Are these places in what could be considered reputable neighborhoods?
Would be interested and can check further with other sources.
Thanks.
p_town_green

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
You mentioned furnished apts. in San Jose running around $300 monthly.
Could you elaborate a bit more on any neighborhoods? Also concern about safety. Are these places in what could be considered reputable neighborhoods?

For that price you can probably afford to live just about anywhere in the San Jose area. I taught in San Pedro so decided to live there as well. There are several neighborhoods in SP, and I had friends who lived in Los Yoses, Barrio Dent, Barrio Escalante, Sabanilla, Cedros, Curridibat, etc. Yoses is home to several embassies and is considered kinda ritzy and generally nice...I lived there for 6 months and liked my little apartment. On the other side of town, MANY foreigners choose Escazu, which is more expensive and more North Americanized. Supposedly nice and relatively safe...I didnt spend any time there. The neighboring towns of Heredia and Alejuela are nice too, but you'd only want to live there if your job is there, unless you dont mind a long commute.

There are definitely parts of the city that are notoriously unsafe (near the Coca Cola bus terminal, for example), but even in the nicest neighborhoods it is never a good idea to walk at night with a backpack on. Apartments/houses in ALL areas have bars on the windows which should tell you something. I think burglary is much less common than muggings, though. About half my friends were mugged at some point--I decided to run once from a group of "chapulines" that hopped out of a car and luckily I managed to get away. That was in Los Yoses, a "nice" neighborhood. I learned my lesson...never bring anything out at night that you aren't prepared to give up if someone "asks" for it. After that I even carried the equivilant of $20 in my pocket to hand over just in case. All that said, I didn't feel much more unsafe than I would in any big city. Common sense helps---don't flaunt your Rolex, take a cab instead of stumbling home from the bars, etc...

Hope that helps!
Cheza

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know you didn`t ask but... If I were you I would look into getting a job outside of the Central Valley. It`s harder to find a job because of the lack of advertising, but if you speak Spanish that shouldn`t be a problem; as things pass very quickly by word-of-mouth here.
It is much more safe here. Ive never felt in any kind of danger, and never heard of any stories of anybody getting mugged or robbed, and Ive been living here for almost a year. The cost of living is cheaper too, I pay about $70 per month rent for a private apartment in a decent neighborhood, with a yard and plenty of storage area. However the pay is significantly lower here (I make only about $3-4 per hour depending on the job).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Costa Rica All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: