Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Just a heads up (scary news, graphic images)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Cambodia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SimonM

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2005 10:08 pm    Post subject: Just a heads up (scary news, graphic images) Reply with quote

This link was drawn to my attention. From what I can tell it is not a hoax. Then again the date on it was April 1.... http://65.127.124.62/south_asia/4483241.stm.htm
anospi

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2005 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am totally convinced this is an April Fool's Day hoax put up by some crackpot at BBC. However, it will make for an interesting reader in one of my classes, as I'm currently teaching in Phnom Penh!
SimonM

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2005 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it wern't for the fact that A) It was left up after Apr. 1 B) it was posted AFTER noon and everyone knows the pranks end at noon and C) You could get fired for a hoax like that I would be 100% certain of it too. As it is I'm 98% certain it's a hoax, but a good one. Can you imagine - you can develop an immunity to zombiism by drinking lots of Gin and Tonic! Smile
Incredible Ape

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2005 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Come on guys..it's just a very well done fake. If you look at the address you can see it isn't even a bbc website...just a series of numbers. They copied the BBC template and links, that's all.

Wink Cool Shocked Very Happy
SimonM

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2005 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, but it IS a very well done fake. I hadn't noticed the URL issue before.
Kent F. Kruhoeffer

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2005 1:27 am    Post subject: Visa Run ! Reply with quote

I'm sitting in an internet cafe in Bangkok this morning, sipping my ice coffee, waiting for the 10am "visa shuttle bus" to Cambodia. If I catch one of those creatures alive, I'm going to bring him back and let him teach all my classes. Apparently, zombies relate well to one another.

Then I'm going write a book about my harrowing adventure and retire on the royalties.

And to think it all started right here on Dave's. Mr. Green

Zombies, malaria, land mines. It's gonna be a great day! Laughing khmerhit said so.
khmerhit

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2005 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Happy trails, Mr kent. Goold luck in Poipet, and say hello to all me mates in PP, including ** and ** and **..
kh
Kent F. Kruhoeffer

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2005 3:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks kh:

Actually I went over the border at Pong Nam Ron, which is south of Poipet

and much less crowded.

Didn't see any Zombies, dammit - but had a great time anyway!

Was back in BKK by 7:30PM for a cold Chang and some off-key karaoke with the natives. Mr. Green

In the not too distant future, there may be a Master Index Cambodia. Stay tuned!
bluffer

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2005 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Similar to this one. Very funny Smile

http://www.perfect.co.uk/robin/2005/05/lionvsmidgets.htm

Lion Mutilates 42 Midgets in Cambodian Ring-Fight

An African Lion much like this is responsible for the death of 28 Cambodian Midgets
Spectators cheered as entire Cambodian Midget Fighting League squared off against African Lion
Tickets had been sold-out three weeks before the much anticipated fight, which took place in the city of K�mp�ng Chhn�ng.

The fight was slated when an angry fan contested Yang Sihamoni, President of the CMFL, claiming that one lion could defeat his entire league of 42 fighters.

Sihamoni takes great pride in the league he helped create, as was conveyed in his recent advertising campaign for the CMFL that stated his midgets will "... take on anything; man, beast, or machine."

This campaign is believed to be what sparked the undisclosed fan to challenge the entire league to fight a lion; a challenge that Sihamoni readily accepted.

An African Lion (Panthera Leo) was shipped to centrally located K�mp�ng Chhn�ng especially for the event, which took place last Saturday, April 30, 2005 in the city�s coliseum.

The Cambodian Government allowed the fight to take place, under the condition that they receive a 50% commission on each ticket sold, and that no cameras would be allowed in the arena.

The fight was called in only 12 minutes, after which 28 fighters were declared dead, while the other 14 suffered severe injuries including broken bones and lost limbs, rendering them unable to fight back.

Sihamoni was quoted before the fight stating that he felt since his fighters out-numbered the lion 42 to 1, that they �� could out-wit and out-muscle [it].�

Unfortunately, he was wrong.

The story behind it is at
http://lionvs40midgets.tripod.com/
ChrisRose

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2005 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can Cambodia afford Black Hawk helicopters?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Fud

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Incredible Ape wrote:
Come on guys..it's just a very well done fake. If you look at the address you can see it isn't even a bbc website...just a series of numbers. They copied the BBC template and links, that's all.

Wink Cool Shocked Very Happy

Last year, here in America, there was similar hoax using a Yahoo! News template stating that the New York Yankees had aquired Randy Johnson from the Diamondbacks, which was quite disheartening to those of us who love Randy Johnson and hate the freakin' Yankees.

It WAS just a hoax--until this winter when the Yankees actuall DID aquire Randy Johnson in a trade, and this summer he can be seen pitching for them every five days.

Thus, it is not unreasonable to assume that within a year there may well be actual zombie outbreaks in Cambodia...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Cambodia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: